Where are all the old forum members?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Why did they all drift away?

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I'm going to go vote your "Now is the time for a new wharncliff" thread 1 star out of 5. :)
NO!! NO!! NO!!! Donut :D The thread was entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". :cool: You're too late it's already got a 5 star rating :D

I believe Simona's picture thread and Doc Snubnose's Lanyard thread are the only ones that have had as many posts :cool:

By the way Brother Donut how long have you been here in Spyderville as of 01-01-12? I know it's been a while. Didn't you come on board about the same time Ghostrider did? And where has he been lately?

It also seems like a lot of our longer tenured citizens have gone over to either USN or Bladeforums. Nothing wrong with those gathering spots because I lurk at Bladeforums daily myself. But I'm wondering why they all might have drifted away. Maybe we ought to implement some changes?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

You're right, it was someone else who made the Wharncliff thread!

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47816

The join date on my user is the correct join date. Only a few years. (I always underestimate how long I've been here, too.) I have only "recently" gotten into Spyderco.

I don't know who Ghostrider is. :(

I am good with change! You know, I have been thinking about having discussions about how locks operate and what makes them good or bad. It's too bad I don't have a metallurgy or strength of materials or structural background to lead it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Checkin' in, I came on board around '00 and make it at least a couple times a week. (Momma said, if ya ain't got nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all. Sometimes that needs to be followed more often especially online.)

Good to see folks, but I need to catch up with VW, Samo, yiterp, Rocco, and some others.

(used to be ROM831 back in the day)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:NO!! NO!! NO!!! Donut :D The thread was entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". :cool: You're too late it's already got a 5 star rating :D

I believe Simona's picture thread and Doc Snubnose's Lanyard thread are the only ones that have had as many posts :cool:

By the way Brother Donut how long have you been here in Spyderville as of 01-01-12? I know it's been a while. Didn't you come on board about the same time Ghostrider did? And where has he been lately?

It also seems like a lot of our longer tenured citizens have gone over to either USN or Bladeforums. Nothing wrong with those gathering spots because I lurk at Bladeforums daily myself. But I'm wondering why they all might have drifted away. Maybe we ought to implement some changes?

I'm all for gang style beat ins and beat outs. If you wanna join the forum, we send Sal and a group of dudes over to your house and beat the snot out of you, then we let you join. If you wanna leave the forum, we do the same thing and then brand the Spyderco logo on the side of your neck. We implement a daily minimum post requirement and we have a group of judges who decide if the posts are worthy enough to count as contribution or trolling. If you troll, well you can guess what happens :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

Shoot, I don't count do I? I certainly don't feel like I've been around that long. I have kind of dropped off here for the last month or two. Been hectic for a while, but I can't imagine staying away for too long. I sometimes wonder about the ones that go missing and hope they are well.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

JD Spydo wrote:NO!! NO!! NO!!! Donut :D The thread was entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". :cool: You're too late it's already got a 5 star rating :D

Ghostrider was my time back in 2005, saw him here a few weeks ago lurking and he even made a few posts. Man could that man tie a lanyard!!! annnnnnnnd LMAO at "isn't it time for a wharnie post"...Doc :)
OH as long as we are BRAGGING...My thread, "Show us your Lanyards" has 1,600 posts and 473,690 views......
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
ceya

Post by ceya »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah Ceya!! I remember that one fixed blade Hawkbill you showed us some time back. I had wondered where you were all this time :)

From 2004 to about late 2006 were truly some of the best times I remember on the Spyderville forum. And it's funny how people out of that era like yourself do tend to pop up every now and then. Daywalker, Simona and Manixguy were 3 that I really wish would come back.
Military disabilities have been getting worse so I decided to focus on that.

I have designed and have been trying getting some old stuff made.

That knife was my first design made, CEYA's Hawk(1995) made by Ed Chavar (RIP) , he was taught by Bud Nealy.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I've been registered for a while, but my forum activity tents to wax and wane with my disposable income and college load. I end up lurking from my phone and posting when I have days off. Now if I was able to use Tapatalk for the Spyderco forum on my phone... :D
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Of course I've got to reply to a thread like this... you bunch of young punks :p

**gets out his rocking chair**

I still poke my head in here once in a while, but I can't surf all day at this job like the last couple have let me. I get paid from 0730-1600hrs, though I'm in the office 0600-1630 most days. Up at 0430, in traffic 0515, and home finally around 1700 depending on when I get out of work and how bad traffic is. So for me it's work that got me away from here.

If you folks popped over the the IRC room, I'm in there most nights... technically I'm always there since it stays logged in on that screen.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Of course I've got to reply to a thread like this... you bunch of young punks :p

**gets out his rocking chair**

I still poke my head in here once in a while, but I can't surf all day at this job like the last couple have let me. I get paid from 0730-1600hrs, though I'm in the office 0600-1630 most days. Up at 0430, in traffic 0515, and home finally around 1700 depending on when I get out of work and how bad traffic is. So for me it's work that got me away from here.

If you folks popped over the the IRC room, I'm in there most nights... technically I'm always there since it stays logged in on that screen.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I'm lurking around, looking for info on new releases and designs... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

I haven't been a member for all that long, but I am still old.
Does that count.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

BAL wrote:I haven't been a member for all that long, but I am still old.
Does that count.
It depends on how old. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Still here, read the forum every day, just don't contribute much anymore.
Phil
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

pmel018, :D I should take your example and contribute less, I get very little response to my posts most of the time. Getting old and used up I guess.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
KBR

Post by KBR »

Glad to see that you're still around, VW. I lurk the forums quite a bit, but just don't post too often. Been bitten by the bug again though so I'll be around here more often than the past few years. :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm still here. :D True, I was unfortunately AWOL for a few years (ok, several), but now that some of my college debt is under some semblance of control, I'm now back into the fray of Spydie collecting ;) . Now, way back "in the day," there were several old buddies that seemed to have disappeared. I've really come to miss these guys. Namely, there was Kahz (The "Spyder Lady"), Clay Kesting, Jaxon, Sword&Shield, Carlos, and Samo to name a few. I think Samo may have been one of the first of the spydernuts to have welcomed me here...

Does anyone else remember these guys or know what became of them?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BAL

Post by BAL »

bh49 wrote:It depends on how old. :)
Well, I remember when this young whippersnapper came up with a new fangled gun
design that he was awful proud of and said that it would last for years. I can't seem
to remember his name, something like Brown, John Brown, or Moses Brown, I can't
remember exactly.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

SpyderNut wrote:Kahz (The "Spyder Lady"), Clay Kesting, Jaxon, Sword&Shield, Carlos, and Samo to name a few.
Does anyone else remember these guys or know what became of them?
I remember them well (I've been here since 2001). I think Samo can still be found on USN.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
springnr

Post by springnr »

rec.knives in the 90s, some forums took a while to join... not a frequent poster anyyhoo...