Blade Coating Color Selection on Survival Knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bert T

Blade Coating Color Selection on Survival Knife

Post by Bert T »

Need Help on Blade Coating Color Selection on Survival Knife.

After about 3 weeks of searching the Internet and knife forums, reading, watching videos, and so forth I have selected the ESEE Model 4, Desert Tan Blade, Green Canvas Micarta Handle ESEE – 4P – MB – DT as my survival knife. It most closely fits my needs for a survival type knife.

Most of the time the knife will be in my pick-up to be used in situations where a survival type knife is needed. (Not self-defense. My Glock 40 S&W Model T22 is my self-defense while traveling if ever needed). My age has put a damper on my hunting and fishing although I will still do some in which case the knife will be with me.

My question is, “How does the Desert Tan Blade Coating hold up to medium to hard use as compared to a Black Coated Blade. In other words, should I get a Black Coated Blade instead of the Tan Coated one?”

Thanks in advance.

Bert
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The durability of the coating has more to do with the type of coating rather than the color. If you are talking about which color 'shows use more' I'd say the black will show use a little more, , or at least that has been my experience. But, even this will be dependant on what type of materials you are cutting, relative to the hue of the blade. However, from a purely aesthetic point of view, black is still, by far, my favorite blade color.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given the number of different coatings available, I'd think the first question should be, "is any one particular coating better than the rest?" Then based on the answer to that the follow up question becomes, "what colors is it available in, and do all perform equally well?" If all the available colors of the most durable coating are equally durable, go with whichever color you like the best, otherwise, go with the most durable.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I always thought bare steel was the best and easiest to clean/treat...just gets ugly quick.

Coatings seem a fix to the corrosion problem if the owner is prone to neglect. It also looks tough which I'm sure helps sales.

No clue tho, lol.
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

I understand that it depends on type of coating rather than color. What I really want to know is does ESEE use the same type of coating on all their blades, or do they change types of coatings when they change colors? If they change types of coatings with different colors, then my question boils down to which is more durable, tan or black? If they do not change types of coatings with different colors, then my original question is moot.

If any of you know, please let me know. I will go to their site and see if I can find the answer there.

Bert
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

I sent an email to ESEE. Less than 15 minutes later one of the co-owners answered.

Same coating, different colors. Mike

Therefore, I conclude color of the ESEE blade coatings has nothing to do with their durability.

Bert
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

A litle bit off topic, but i think that the best coating is a DLC coating. A good DLC coating is awesome.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The coating on ESEE knives is superior. I have several in different colors and they all have the same durable coating. I am actually more fond of Beckers but their coating isn't as durable. The coatings however do produce some drag and make slicing a bit harder imo.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Bluntrauma wrote:The coating on ESEE knives is superior. I have several in different colors and they all have the same durable coating. I am actually more fond of Beckers but their coating isn't as durable. The coatings however do produce some drag and make slicing a bit harder imo.
This^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent coating, but it can make slicing through some things a little more difficult.

OP, what is a Glock T22? I know what a Glock 22 is, but I've never seen the "T" designation. Something special?
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Glock 22

I did not go look on my pistol so I screwed it up. The pistol is clearly marked "22". I don't know where the **** I got the T.

Anyway, it is the Model 22, the .40 S&W "law enforcement" pistol. It is the issue pistol for Texas State Game Wardens, and many other law enforcement agencies around the country.

Bert

PS That is the first mistake I have made in 6 months. hahahahahaha. If you believe that, go stand on your head.

b
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

For the record... if you should see a glock with a T after the number... I wouldn't suggest it as a self defense weapon. It is a training model designed to fire simunition... unless the bad guys are allergic to light bruising and paint, it won't help you :p .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
BAL

Post by BAL »

Bert T wrote:Glock 22

I did not go look on my pistol so I screwed it up. The pistol is clearly marked "22". I don't know where the **** I got the T.

Anyway, it is the Model 22, the .40 S&W "law enforcement" pistol. It is the issue pistol for Texas State Game Wardens, and many other law enforcement agencies around the country.

Bert

PS That is the first mistake I have made in 6 months. hahahahahaha. If you believe that, go stand on your head.

b
TI Thave Theard Tthat Tmany Tsuper Tintelligent Tpeople Tput Ta Tcapital TT Tin Tfront Tof Tcertain Twords.
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

TThanks for that information BAL. I had not noticed it before.

Ha. I am of average intelligence or maybe just a little above. I did manage to earn a MEd degree from a major University.

One of the major reasons you see me on this forum asking questions is because I believe "If you don't use it, you will lose it". At 76 I have just about lost some other things, but my mind is still fairly good, and I am going to keep using and exercising it as long as I can. Besides that, I just plain like to learn new things.

Bert
BAL

Post by BAL »

Bert T wrote:TThanks for that information BAL. I had not noticed it before.

Ha. I am of average intelligence or maybe just a little above. I did manage to earn a MEd degree from a major University.

One of the major reasons you see me on this forum asking questions is because I believe "If you don't use it, you will lose it". At 76 I have just about lost some other things, but my mind is still fairly good, and I am going to keep using and exercising it as long as I can. Besides that, I just plain like to learn new things.

Bert
I am 53 or so now and I learn something new every day. If you're not moving forward you're falling back and I have no intention of letting that happen.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

T for Texas. ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Bert

b
Hehe, it happens, believe you me. I actually Googled "Glock 22T" shortly after posting, just because I thought I might have missed something. ( I was just making sure Glock didn't rip me off by giving me the regular 22. :D )
Jordan wrote:For the record... if you should see a glock with a T after the number... I wouldn't suggest it as a self defense weapon. It is a training model designed to fire simunition... unless the bad guys are allergic to light bruising and paint, it won't help you :p .

The 17T. I just read up on it. Very cool. I'd love to have one, but have zero use for one.

I assure you I wouldn't use it for a self defense weapon. It's bright blue!