Emerson opinions

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRKBC

Emerson opinions

Post by DRKBC »

Just wondering if any of you out there own Emersons. I like the Emerson mini CQC 15 and also the mini comander. I have heard there are some QC issues with the Emerson knives but with the web as we all know, sometimes things can get blown out of proportion. Any feedback would be great.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I have been thinking of getting a cqc-8 for a long time. The poor f&f issue doesn't really worry me too much but the reports of lock longevity problems do. I can't send in knives from where I am, so what do I do if the lock up moves to 80 percent in just a few months? That's the thing holding me back.
JK96

Post by JK96 »

I have been wanting to try one for quite a long time but between the mixed oppinions and the high price tag Iv been waiting...
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Overpriced.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I like em' :) .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

JK96 wrote:I have been wanting to try one for quite a long time but between the mixed oppinions and the high price tag Iv been waiting...
Seems to be the common consensus.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jordan wrote:I like em' :) .
Hey Jordan, do you or have you owned one?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Have owned several...still own a couple. Every real knife fan should probably own at least one, even if only temporarily. I particularly like the Mini-CQC-15 and the A7 variants.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

DRKBC wrote:Hey Jordan, do you or have you owned one?
I do. I'd like to tell you that they are totally worth the money, and that you'll love one if you get one... but I won't. It might not be true :p . Personally, I think they are. Like spyderco, emerson puts very little effort into making a pretty knife (with a few notable exceptions, of course)... opting instead to make a tool for people who need tools. In my experience, people like them or they don't... not a lot of wafflers.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Emerson is nice, but not really any better than a Spyderco or Benchmade that meets full QC in my experience.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jordan wrote:I do. I'd like to tell you that they are totally worth the money, and that you'll love one if you get one... but I won't. It might not be true :p . Personally, I think they are. Like spyderco, emerson puts very little effort into making a pretty knife (with a few notable exceptions, of course)... opting instead to make a tool for people who need tools. In my experience, people like them or they don't... not a lot of wafflers.
JNewell wrote:Have owned several...still own a couple. Every real knife fan should probably own at least one, even if only temporarily. I particularly like the Mini-CQC-15 and the A7 variants.
They aren't exactly things of beauty that's for sure (although I love the blade shape of the CQC 15). You here a lot of people saying the blades aren't centered and the lock up sticks etc. etc. but the design looks bomb proof. Doesn't look like the lock would fail. What's your experience been?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

DRKBC wrote:They aren't exactly things of beauty that's for sure (although I love the blade shape of the CQC 15). You here a lot of people saying the blades aren't centered and the lock up sticks etc. etc. but the design looks bomb proof. Doesn't look like the lock would fail. What's your experience been?
I've thoroughly abused mine, and there has been no lock failure... still works as solidly and smoothly as it did the day I got it. I think a lot of the complaints about Emerson knives come from a very loud minority. But, it could be I just got a particularly good knife. I've hardly handled a significant sample size... but all the Emerson's I've ever seen have been solid and well put together. No serious issues aesthetically or operationally. As a counterpoint, I have handled and used (but not owned... to be fair) about the same number of striders and ZTs. ALL of the striders had serious issues in either fit and finish or manufacturing tolerances, and one of the ZTs I've seen was dangerously wobbly at the pivot. Based on my personal experience, if I was going to spend another couple hundred bucks on a hard use knife... it would definitely be another Emerson. Your experiences may differ, but that's my perspective... for what it's worth.
- Theodore Roosevelt

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DRKBC wrote:They aren't exactly things of beauty that's for sure (although I love the blade shape of the CQC 15). You here a lot of people saying the blades aren't centered and the lock up sticks etc. etc. but the design looks bomb proof. Doesn't look like the lock would fail. What's your experience been?
I think between my older son and I we've owned/own half a dozen. All were perfectly fine out of the box, well centered, good lockup, no cosmetic or manufacturing problems. I would agree that they are not necessarily "value leaders" but they are what they are and if you shop around a bit the price should not be a bar. I wish they'd move up just a bit from 154CM at that price point, but that's not a bad choice in steel, even today.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jordan wrote:I've thoroughly abused mine, and there has been no lock failure... still works as solidly and smoothly as it did the day I got it. I think a lot of the complaints about Emerson knives come from a very loud minority. But, it could be I just got a particularly good knife. I've hardly handled a significant sample size... but all the Emerson's I've ever seen have been solid and well put together. No serious issues aesthetically or operationally. As a counterpoint, I have handled and used (but not owned... to be fair) about the same number of striders and ZTs. ALL of the striders had serious issues in either fit and finish or manufacturing tolerances, and one of the ZTs I've seen was dangerously wobbly at the pivot. Based on my personal experience, if I was going to spend another couple hundred bucks on a hard use knife... it would definitely be another Emerson. Your experiences may differ, but that's my perspective... for what it's worth.
You know they don't really even seem like that bad a value to me, Titanium liner (lock anyway) Blade is a pretty interesting grind and usually you can find them for about $150 or so on sale which .. . in today's world doesn't seem out of the way.
Which ones do you own?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

JNewell wrote:I think between my older son and I we've owned/own half a dozen. All were perfectly fine out of the box, well centered, good lockup, no cosmetic or manufacturing problems. I would agree that they are not necessarily "value leaders" but they are what they are and if you shop around a bit the price should not be a bar. I wish they'd move up just a bit from 154CM at that price point, but that's not a bad choice in steel, even today.
Thanks JNewell, Any favoite models? I am thinking about something around 8" as I want to EDC it, that's why the mini CQC 15 stood out (I also like the tanto recurve blade).
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

DRKBC wrote:You know they don't really even seem like that bad a value to me, Titanium liner (lock anyway) Blade is a pretty interesting grind and usually you can find them for about $150 or so on sale which .. . in today's world doesn't seem out of the way.
Which ones do you own?
Only one I own is the Commander. A couple guys in my unit have others... and that is pretty much my entire breadth of experience :D . I have a Gypsy Jack coming as an xmas present to myself, as it happens though... so I'll soon have more anecdotal evidence :p .

Here's a pic... fraid it's of a bunch of knives and not very artistically taken... but I don't feel like diggin out my camera for another right now, it's the fourth from the end on the bottom row. If I remember, tomorrow I'll snap a few individual pics.

- Theodore Roosevelt

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="Jordan"]Only one I own is the Commander. A couple guys in my unit have others... and that is pretty much my entire breadth of experience :D . I have a Gypsy Jack coming as an xmas present to myself, as it happens though... so I'll soon have more anecdotal evidence :p .

Here's a pic... fraid it's of a bunch of knives and not very artistically taken... but I don't feel like diggin out my camera for another right now, it's the fourth from the end on the bottom row. If I remember, tomorrow I'll snap a few individual pics.QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics, that's quite a group! don't wanna fly home for the holidays with those in your carry on.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Heh, it's no wonder I tend to drive places ;) Of course, all that pic really means is that I own about 1/3 of Doc's normal EDC :p .
- Theodore Roosevelt

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jordan wrote: Here's a pic... fraid it's of a bunch of knives and not very artistically taken...
Maybe tomorrow you could shoot the Emerson on a celery stock or half a pomegranate if you have a moment.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

DRKBC wrote:Maybe tomorrow you could shoot the Emerson on a celery stock or half a pomegranate if you have a moment.
Heh, I'll see what I can do.
- Theodore Roosevelt