Clip too strong

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Clip too strong

Post by jackknifeh »

I have a knife that has a clip that is way too strong AND the texture on the handle is very aggressive. This makes clipping the knife to my pocket and removing it difficult. I'm sure my pockets will suffer as well. I can remove the clip and bend it but is there any other suggestions. The two I have heard of is sanding the handle which I'd rather not do but might. I've also heard of filling in the texture but like sanding this sounds permanent. Just looking for ideas. I put this in "off-topic" because it isn't a Spyderco knife. I've had a couple of Spyderco's that have this issue but this "other" knife has the problem times 10. It is a pretty nice "other" knife though.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Other than buying thinner pants, I think you have all the reasonable solutions covered. Smoothing the handle in the vicinity of the clip's contact patch is probably the best. Bending the clip, unless done just right, tends to make the tip stick out more and snag on things more easily.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Fold a piece of paper several times over until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Insert it under the clip and leave for 2-3 days. That should make it a bit looser.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I folded up a few pices of paper and put them under the clip for a day with my Tenacious and Ambitious. It worked pretty good. I put a lot of paper under it and thought the clip might snap but it worked.
Spyder Count: 7
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Paper folded and inserted as directed. I'll see how it works. I got this knive because I wanted to see about a couple of things in the model. It's really a nice knife and I like it and will carry it for a while anyway. This is the first non-Spyderco knife I've bought in a couple of years. I've sold my other than Spyderco knives so Spyderco is all I've used for at least two years. Now that I have this one I can see where the money goes on the $80+ knives goes. Even though I like the new knife it just doesn't scream quality like the Spydercos do. I'm not knocking my new knife at all, just giving Spyderco products the praise I believe they deserve. I can see where people (me included) could say, "why spend $100 when I can get this one for $33? I can't really explain it to anyone except people on the forum and other knife lovers. I'd say one thing is some of Spyderco's knives have this pocket clip issue covered by putting a smoother spot on the scales and the model name or something. That's the kind of attention to detail Spyderco excells to that some others don't.

Jack
PS: One thing I meant to mention. Thumb studs aren't even close to my favorite method to open the blade one handed. The circular absense of steel in Spyderco knives is the best I've come across. I got my dad a Delica last year and he doen't like to open it one-handed but loves how easy it is to grab the blade with his other hand using the hole. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

New knife heard what I typed about it not being the quality Spyderco is and cut me. :mad:

Jack
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

Just last night I took the scales off of my new Yo2 and sanded the texture under the clip. The new G-10 is so grippy that when I tried to pull the knife out of my pocket I'd end up with a wedgie.

Started off with some 600 grit just to get a feel for things, then dropped to 400 grit to get the job done. The G-10 is actually pretty soft, didn't take much to smooth it out. The key is to take off enough to make it less grippy, but not so much that it's actually smooth.

What are the scales made of on your new knife?
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Jack and others, even though Spyderco is by far my 1st choice I bought another brand which came in yesterday just to get familar with D2 steel. It was fairly easy to sharpen using my apex. It is fairly small, heavy duty knife made to use mainly by hunters. I will EDC it for awhile.

Bert
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

marcdurant wrote:Just last night I took the scales off of my new Yo2 and sanded the texture under the clip. The new G-10 is so grippy that when I tried to pull the knife out of my pocket I'd end up with a wedgie.

Started off with some 600 grit just to get a feel for things, then dropped to 400 grit to get the job done. The G-10 is actually pretty soft, didn't take much to smooth it out. The key is to take off enough to make it less grippy, but not so much that it's actually smooth.

What are the scales made of on your new knife?
The handles are grivory. It's a Cold Steel Voyager (medium). I wanted to see what the tri-ad lock felt like. I had two of these on pre-order when the new model was announced (med. and large). It was supposed to have a san-mai blade with VG-1 as the core. My understanding is that VG-1 is pretty close to VG-10. I also really wanted to try the steel out. The release date was cancelled due to manufacturing problems or something. When they were finally released they had AUS-8A blades so I didn't get any. Recently I saw the price on these things so decided to get one to use as a beater. The price is less than half of what they were to be with the san-mai blade. Like I said, quality doesn't seem to scream out on first impression. Time will tell as far as long term performance.

I think I'm going to sand the scale like you did, starting with very fine sandpaper and using rougher until I get something acceptable. If left as is, I'd take the clip off and use a small pouch or just let it swim around in my pocket.

Jack