kershaw 0551

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wisehybred

kershaw 0551

Post by Wisehybred »

I was thinking of picking one of these up. Have not held one in hand but they look really sweet and they spec out very nice. Thick slab of Ti and Elmax steel just sing to me. Some distrib's still have them for 200.00. Let me know if anyone else has one.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

That's out of Kershaw's "Zero Tolerance" lineup, which are first class production knives. While I haven't handled this particular model, I've handled a few other ZT's and they are really nice. Overbuilt, solid lockup and sharp out of the box.

If I were looking for something like this, it would certainly be on my short list. Just be aware that it's no lightweight for an EDC.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think those knives look cool but are very impractical. It's like using a sharpened crowbar. I prefer my knives to slice well. If I need to pry a door, I'll get a prybar, if I need to baton wood, I'll get a fixed blade.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

D1omedes wrote:I think those knives look cool but are very impractical. It's like using a sharpened crowbar. I prefer my knives to slice well. If I need to pry a door, I'll get a prybar, if I need to baton wood, I'll get a fixed blade.
Different strokes I guess. Not exactly my cup of tea either, but if I was in the market for a sharpened crowbar :D I'd certainly consider it.

No way I'd want a 6oz EDC, but I'm sure that some people think it's just fine.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I think it is a good knife. Though Kershaw and Spyderco do not see eye to eye on certain things they are great companies and both are pushing the boundaries in the knife world. You cant go wrong, if the knife appeals to you, then pick one up.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

Yeah it might not be that practical of a EDC, but its not that heavy under 6oz. I like the materials used and I EDC a Ti millie so size doesn't bother me. I was really hoping someone could chime in that has held one or perhaps owns one. Thanks for all the reply's! For right at 200 bones for Elmax and Ti this is a good bargain IMO
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So which came first, the Grayman Satu/Dua or this Kershaw? Because they both smell pretty similar. I REALLY want a Satu....it's not a sharpened crowbar...more like a sharpened I beam. I wanna buy one just so i can baton and chop the living crap out of everything in sight and not worry about the pivot. I really think this knife is inching close to blurring the line between a folder and a fixed blade.

http://graymanknives.com/satu.html
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

D1omedes wrote:I think those knives look cool but are very impractical. It's like using a sharpened crowbar. I prefer my knives to slice well. If I need to pry a door, I'll get a prybar, if I need to baton wood, I'll get a fixed blade.
same thickness of the manix.... thats not a sharpened pry bar its a beast. I owned a couple striders, and those are sharpened pry bars
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Evil D wrote:So which came first, the Grayman Satu/Dua or this Kershaw? Because they both smell pretty similar. I REALLY want a Satu....it's not a sharpened crowbar...more like a sharpened I beam. I wanna buy one just so i can baton and chop the living crap out of everything in sight and not worry about the pivot. I really think this knife is inching close to blurring the line between a folder and a fixed blade.

http://graymanknives.com/satu.html
The Kershaw design is based on a very early Rick Hinderer model I believe predates the Satyu, but I cant remember the name.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I love mine! I primarily cary it when i'm on duty. It has taken all i could throw at it and hasn't failed me yet! I really didn't like it all that much before seeing it in real life but that changed. It's one of those knives not everyone will like...
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

I think Im pulling the trigger. Found one NIB for 179.00 shipped :)
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Sweet...post up your pics and thoughts :)
Wisehybred wrote:I think Im pulling the trigger. Found one NIB for 179.00 shipped :)
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

It's a very well-engineered knife with top notch materials. Titanium and Elmax is a combo that's pretty hard to beat, but the design is very different from the more elegant blade geometries of Spydercos. I have a fair amount of knives from ZT/Kershaw and Spyderco in my EDC rotation, and aside from the really big ones like the 0200, 0301, and Manix, they are all pretty manageable size-wise. The 551 is about as noticeable as my Ti Military in-pocket, and I actually prefer my EDC knives to be of similar size and heft.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think a knife gets much more over 5oz and I don't like carrying it. That's not part of my Official Nutnfancy P.O.U./Load Setup/Carry Stat or whatever he says. ;) . It just gets hefty in hand.

My main problem with most ZT knives (besides the weight and no Spydie Hole) are they are usually dang expensive and you only get a decent steel for the money. It's not to the scale of Emerson (which I admire but haven't delved into) but you're gonna pay well for it. Oh, and the cool models are all Assisted Opening...sigh.

Of course, this one seems quite affordable for ELMAX and Ti.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

The 0200 & 550/551 arent A/O, and the upcoming flipper 560/561 are also manuals. I too prefer the manual ZTs.
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

a buddy of mine has one and its a very solid knife.

Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Popsickle wrote:same thickness of the manix.... thats not a sharpened pry bar its a beast. I owned a couple striders, and those are sharpened pry bars
Well, I once had a Manix 2 in hand and was turned off by the excessive jimping. I didn't even bother to cut with it. But it sported a full flat grind. I doubt the sabre grind is a good slicer.

Like NYRich said, 6 oz makes for a HEAVY pocket knife. I just wish Kershaw would make mini versions of these knives - around 3 to 4 oz. I'd love to get a good Kershaw flipper that I would actually carry and use.

I guess I'll just have to wait for that Southard/Spyderco collab. *fingers crossed*
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

D1omedes wrote: I just wish Kershaw would make mini versions of these knives - around 3 to 4 oz. I'd love to get a good Kershaw flipper that I would actually carry and use.

*[/I]
they did - the mini cyclone ti/zdp189-one heck of a knife
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="Wisehybred"]I was thinking of picking one of these up. Have not held one in hand but they look really sweet and they spec out very nice. Thick slab of Ti and Elmax steel just sing to me. Some distrib's still have them for 200.00. Let me know if anyone else has one.

It's a stunning knife, zero tolerance 0551. I am curious, where did you see one for $200? They have been out of production for a while and most people are asking a premium for them. More in the $3-350 range.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

I prefer the Sage 2, it both costs and weighs less, and is a great Ti frame lock that can fill many roles.