Harry Morgan of TV comedy 'M*A*S*H' dies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lord vader

Harry Morgan of TV comedy 'M*A*S*H' dies

Post by Lord vader »

(Reuters) - Prolific character actor Harry Morgan, who appeared in more than 100 films but was best known for television roles including Colonel Sherman Potter in the popular series "M*A*S*H," died on Wednesday at his Los Angeles home, age 96. He was a good actor,I really enjoyed watching mash.He will be missed. :(
Donut

Post by Donut »

He was really great. RIP.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I used to watch Dragnet regularly. Lovers of "cheese" should check it out. Not a fan of TV MASH (loved the movie) but liked his character.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Can't remember a thing I did not like him in. Just the thought of him makes me smile.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BAL

Post by BAL »

Well, boys, it would be hard to call what we've been through fun, but I'm sure glad we went through it together. You boys always managed to give me a good laugh right when I needed it most. Never forget the time you dropped Winchester's drawers in the O.R. 'Course I had to pretend I was mad at ya, but inside I was laughing to beat all ****.
Col Potter

The next person who's nice to me dies is going to die with boots on. Mine! -- Col Potter

You know sometimes I think there should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em. -- Col Potter

Never insult seven men when all you have is a six shooter -- Col Potter

RIP Mr Morgan
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Most of us remember Morgan as Col. Potter, but he was also great as Jack Webb's partner on Dragnet back in the 50's. It's been a few years, but I think he played Bill(?) Gannon.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

NYRich wrote:Most of us remember Morgan as Col. Potter, but he was also great as Jack Webb's partner on Dragnet back in the 50's. It's been a few years, but I think he played Bill(?) Gannon.
He played Gannon, but not in the original Dragnet, where Jack Webb didn't have a partner. He was in the revival that ran from '67 to '70. Back in the 50's he was a regular on December Bride then, IIRC, took that same role of Peter Porter to Pete and Gladys. After that it was Dragnet, then M*A*S*H.

Sad that he's gone, but he definitely had a long life.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Loved the show...grew up watching reruns, though most of it was over my head at the time. 96 years is a good life.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

The Deacon wrote:He played Gannon, but not in the original Dragnet, where Jack Webb didn't have a partner. He was in the revival that ran from '67 to '70. Back in the 50's he was a regular on December Bride then, IIRC, took that same role of Peter Porter to Pete and Gladys. After that it was Dragnet, then M*A*S*H.

Before Morgan I can remember one partner's name being Frank Smith but the earliest episodes found me in bed trying to listen as my parents watched the show. I can still hear the theme music in my head. :cool:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

The Deacon wrote:He played Gannon, but not in the original Dragnet, where Jack Webb didn't have a partner. He was in the revival that ran from '67 to '70. Back in the 50's he was a regular on December Bride then, IIRC, took that same role of Peter Porter to Pete and Gladys. After that it was Dragnet, then M*A*S*H.

I loved to watch the '67 to '70s episodes of dragnet, when Harry morgan and Jack webb starred in them together,they sure made a good team.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

"Just the facts, mam."

After seeing him in Dragnet, it was great to see him do comedy on MASH.
EarthDog
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sad news.

I really enjoyed Harry Morgan's portrayal of Colonel Sherman Potter in M*A*S*H. Finally, someone (as the character Harry portrayed) who was a true veteran and a POW with true experience of war and hard times (WWI and WWII), hard edged (when needed), decisive (lacking amongst the other featured members), and with common sense (also lacking amongst the other featured members)! His performance and looks were that of a true COLONEL! He towed the line, yet was fair and compassionate. He brought in and applied sufficient conservative traits to balance out the liberal feel that sometimes steered the program, as well as tried righting some of the wrongs of the era.

I also enjoyed seeing Mr. Morgan in a variety of other shows to include Dragnet and various movies.

Best wishes, Harry, on your new adventure! And, best wishes to your family and friends! You'll be missed!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
JD Spydo

Pete & Gladys>> That goes back a few years

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Deac that's really cool that you would mention the "Pete & Gladys" sitcom of the early 60s. I was just a small kid when that was on the air but I do remember that my parents really loved it. I remember one episode where Gladys took a few too many tranquillizers :D Even as a kid I laughed my butt off on that one.

It's also very interesting that he would go on to play Jack Webb's partner on Dragnet. I really liked that show as well and it showed his versatility in acting out many types of different roles. You don't see that much anymore. He was a class act and he will be missed.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Water Bug wrote:
I really enjoyed Harry Morgan's portrayal of Colonel Sherman Potter in M*A*S*H. Finally, someone (as the character Harry portrayed) who was a true veteran and a POW with true experience of war and hard times (WWI and WWII), hard edged (when needed), decisive (lacking amongst the other featured members), and with common sense (also lacking amongst the other featured members)! His performance and looks were that of a true COLONEL! He towed the line, yet was fair and compassionate. He brought in and applied sufficient conservative traits to balance out the liberal feel that sometimes steered the program, as well as tried righting some of the wrongs of the era.
Thanks for your insights on the balance that Harry Morgan's character brought to the show. It was brilliant TV that honored many points of view.
EarthDog
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

They ran the story of Mr. Morgan's death on the front page of the entertainmnt section in the Atlanta Journal/Constitution.
The only time I can recall seeing a tribute/obit on the first page; they usually bury them inside, and some of those where huge stars.

Seems everyone loved Harry.

Semi-interesting trivia:
His first (or one of his first) TV role was on December Bride. His role was then done as a spin-off called Pete & Gladys.
Generally acknowledged as the first TV spin-off.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

A fine actor and a strong character in real life by my reckoning. He had the toughness of R Lee Ermey but the compassion and patience of a saint (most of the time). RIP
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Here is a tribute from one of his costars on mash,Mike Farrell AKA B.J. Hunnicutt. "He was a treasure as a person, an imp at times, and always a true professional. He had worked with the greats and never saw himself as one of them. But he was,” Farrell said. “He was the rock everyone depended on and yet he could cut up like a kid when the situation warranted it.
He was the apotheosis, the finest example of what people call a ‘character actor.’ What he brought to the work made everyone better. He made those who are thought of as ‘stars’ shine even more brightly.
The love and admiration we all felt for him were returned tenfold in many, many ways. And the greatest and,most selfless tribute to the experience we enjoyed was paid by Harry at the press conference when our show ended. He remarked that someone had asked him if working on M*A*S*H had made him a better actor. He responded by saying, “I don’t know about that, but it made me a better human being.”
It’s hard to imagine a better one."
End quote.