Izula Folder

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I love my Izula for bushcraft. Its light and tufff with 3 f's. I however wouldn't describe the coating on the blade as "sandpaper". I think thats a lil far fetched. I like the coating being on there since I use it in the wild and its 1095....
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Redeye wrote:That picture is years old.

The Izula is over-hyped in my opinion anyway - the coating makes it cut badly, it has too much belly, and it's overpriced for 1095.

I'd also like to make a request for this thread to be moved into off-topic please :)
Couldn't have said it better myself.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jossta

Post by jossta »

If they keep it in 1095, I'll take it.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice! Love it!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I don't think the Izula is over-hyped at all. I have 2 of them and they are great little knives. The coating is only a minor issue and they both came as sharp as any knife I have ever bought. Last time we were out camping I forgot my axe and used that knife to baton through mesquite to make kindling and it performed perfectly. What more could you ask for from a 50.00 sub 3 inch blade? To each their own though.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
graf_zero

Post by graf_zero »

That drawing shows EXTREMELY weak lock design.

Locking area is directly behind pivot. No matter how strong spring, how tough the frame, this lock will be failing.
Locking area MUST be beneath pivot - the further the better - just look into Bob Terzuola book.
Function not look is the most important.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

graf_zero wrote:That drawing shows EXTREMELY weak lock design.

Locking area is directly behind pivot. No matter how strong spring, how tough the frame, this lock will be failing.
Locking area MUST be beneath pivot - the further the better - just look into Bob Terzuola book.
It's a proto pic to garner interest, not a CAD schematic of a current knife. It's not the purpose of the image. Frankly there could be a unicorn hidden someplace or the pivot could be tweaked; it's completely mythical at this point.

I strongly urge this incorporate more Spyderco oriented responses. If its in the popular subforum it should at least attempt to fit in.
Donut

Post by Donut »

graf_zero wrote:That drawing shows EXTREMELY weak lock design.

So... looking at the knife, it looks like this thing almost NEEDS a compression lock or ball bearing. This is the first comment that makes me think Spyderco should be involved.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
angusW

Post by angusW »

The Izula II is a fun knife but for some reason the folder is not doing it for me. Maybe if Spyderco was involved then it would be something that I would be interested in once the final design was nailed down.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Donut wrote:So... looking at the knife, it looks like this thing almost NEEDS a compression lock or ball bearing. This is the first comment that makes me think Spyderco should be involved.
Exactly. I general have no gripes against liner/frame locks, but the compression lock and ball bearing lock should out perform them.

1095 seems like a bad choice for a tight tolerance folder, and that's just a hunch because there are very few modern folding knives that use 1095.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

1095 is considered a crude carbon steel so corrosion is the main reason it's not used. It's also relatively cheap which in some cases like Spyderco means the msrp should be lower than comparable steels. I wouldn't mind Spyderco doing some folders in this if that really was the case.

Other companies offering the 10xx steels in fixed blades for $150+ IMHO are price gouging people. You can buy a machete from Condor Tool in 1095 for $25 :p
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I feel that 1095 is the perfect steel. Saying this I have no interest in any knife from this company.
Nifelheim

Post by Nifelheim »

Blerv wrote:I strongly urge this incorporate more Spyderco oriented responses. If its in the popular subforum it should at least attempt to fit in.
Something like this? A simple Spyderized mock-up with a compression lock.

If there's some sort of a problem with the image copyright or anything, I strongly suggest that a moderator should remove this immediately. The last thing I want this thing going viral and confusing somebody.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nifelheim wrote:Something like this? A simple Spyderized mock-up with a compression lock.
Cool! Nice work :)

Yea very on-topic and appreciated.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:Cool! Nice work :)

Yea very on-topic and appreciated.
+1, I can dig it.

I love my Izula, but my issue with a folder is just that. It's a folder. I beat the ever loving shite out of my Izula. Wouldn't be able to do that with a folder. Still, a folder isn't intended for that, and I LOVE the look of the thing...

Definitely something to keep an eye on.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I guess I'm a two-timer :) I like Spyderco and ESEE both. When it comes to fixed blades, ESEE's unconditional warranty is fantastic, but even on their forum Jeff had said that they wouldn't be able to have the same warranty on a folder.

So the various ideas they have floated for an Izula folder, and ESEE 3 folder just haven't interested me. I like my spydie-hole I guess, simply the *best* way to open a folding blade :) . OK, I like my Kershaw / ZT assisted openers too, even though I have heard reports of the assist-spring breaking.

I *will* be buying a Laser Strike and stainless ESEE 4 as soon as they become available though :) . It's strange, I'm torn between the toughness/unconditional warranty of ESEE's fixed blades, and super designs of Spyderco's like the Bushcrafter and Bill Moran, it's no wonder I go broke, I buy them all :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Just following up, I heard that these may be produced sometime later this year!

There will be a fixed blade Izula and ESEE 4 in 440C released later this year as well.
Clip

Post by Clip »

MachSchnell wrote:Just following up, I heard that these may be produced sometime later this year!

There will be a fixed blade Izula and ESEE 4 in 440C released later this year as well.
Wish it would've at least been VG-10 or 154CM.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, they couldn't have picked a more boring SS.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Let's not forget how kick butt of a heat treat they put on their 1095 carbon steel. I bet that the 440C that they produce will be kick butt.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford