Just ordered some new stones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
syphen

Just ordered some new stones

Post by syphen »

Ordered a Naniwa 5000, 8000 and 12000. It's for a straight razor I have.. But I should be able to mirror hone my spydies with them too! Excited. Also have a hone lapping plate DMT 325.

Anyone ever go up to these levels on a spydie?
Too many Spydies to list!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I don't know what your stone calculate to my EP polishing tapes but I take my bevels up to 6000 grit. Its a very mirror polish.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Syphen, I'd like to hear all of your opinions of the DMT lapping stone.

Jack
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

Hey Syphen,

I got crazy one day and orderd a set of Naniwa Chosera so I got the 400, 1000, 5000, and a 10000. I'm not sure if you ordered the Chosera or the Super Stones. I haven't pulled them out in a while now been lazy but they work great, just have to soak them first. They are a little on the soft side, again this is the Chosera not the Super Stones I'm not sure if they are different. Lately I've just been pulling out the Shapton Glass Stones since they are splash and go.

Which DMT did you get the Dai-Sharp. I have the 8x3 325 works great on those finer grit stones. Just make sure you work off any high spots on the DMT before you lap your finishing stones. I made the mistake of using the DMT new and lapping one of my King Stones it grooved it pretty good.

Kev.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Kev-Man wrote:Hey Syphen,

I got crazy one day and orderd a set of Naniwa Chosera so I got the 400, 1000, 5000, and a 10000. I'm not sure if you ordered the Chosera or the Super Stones. I haven't pulled them out in a while now been lazy but they work great, just have to soak them first. They are a little on the soft side, again this is the Chosera not the Super Stones I'm not sure if they are different. Lately I've just been pulling out the Shapton Glass Stones since they are splash and go.

Which DMT did you get the Dai-Sharp. I have the 8x3 325 works great on those finer grit stones. Just make sure you work off any high spots on the DMT before you lap your finishing stones. I made the mistake of using the DMT new and lapping one of my King Stones it grooved it pretty good.

Kev.
Kev,

thanks for the great reply. I got Super Stones - I'm not sure how those compare to the Chosera.

I got the same DMT D8c 325 Dia-sharp that you have. How did you work off the high spots on the DMT? That sounds like a good idea before taking to the Naniwa's due to their cost...
Too many Spydies to list!
Slash

Post by Slash »

How would to rate the naniwa super stone in comparison to the spyderco 306uf?
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

syphen wrote:
I got the same DMT D8c 325 Dia-sharp that you have. How did you work off the high spots on the DMT? That sounds like a good idea before taking to the Naniwa's due to their cost...
Hey Syphen, if I remember correctly I lightly rubbed them on a cheap 150 grit stone I had. I looked at the toolsforwoodworking site and it said the Chosera was designed to be similar to a natural stone. The Super Stones have a resin binder which makes them wear slower, no soaking required on the SS. I guess they might be close to the Shapton Glass Stones since they are ceramic stones also.
Slash wrote: How would to rate the naniwa super stone in comparison to the spyderco 306uf?
I'm not sure what micron the Spyderco UF or the Naniwa SS are but the Shapton GS 8K is supposed to be 1.84, I would guess the SS 8K would probably be pretty close. I think the UF would be closer to the 5K. I think the biggest difference between the GS and the UF would be that the UF is harder and wouldn't provide as much feedback, I'm guessing the SS would be similar to the GS. This is jmho based off of experience with the UF sharpmaker rods.

Kev.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Apparently, some people don't have the stones to comment on this topic.
Slash

Post by Slash »

With the combined cost of those stones. I think you could get a lifetime supply of disposable razor blades.

I think it mostly comes down to technique. But, it's nice having good equipment.
JD Spydo

Other Ceramic Stones compared to????

Post by JD Spydo »

For those of you who are up to speed on the newest Sharpening Stones I'm wondering how these Naniwa stones compare to the much envied Shapton Stones?

My long term goal of digging my way out of the economic rut I got in is to get a complete set of Shapton Stones. Or are these Naniwa stones just as good if not better?

I've liked ceramic stones since I bought my first Spyderco Benchstone back in the late 90s. And I've wondered how other ceramic whetstones compared to those of Spyderco's or any other popular stone for that matter.

I've also been told that "Global" is another manufacturer of good ceramic stones. I've seen the "Global" brand of ceramic whetstones in many of the culinary knife websites and have wondered about whether or not they are a quality sharpening tool? I'm all ears at this point and only want what is best for my blades.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

BAL wrote:Apparently, some people don't have the stones to comment on this topic.
LOL
Slash wrote:With the combined cost of those stones. I think you could get a lifetime supply of disposable razor blades.

I think it mostly comes down to technique. But, it's nice having good equipment.
True but what fun is that? :D
JD Spydo wrote:For those of you who are up to speed on the newest Sharpening Stones I'm wondering how these Naniwa stones compare to the much envied Shapton Stones?

My long term goal of digging my way out of the economic rut I got in is to get a complete set of Shapton Stones. Or are these Naniwa stones just as good if not better?

I've liked ceramic stones since I bought my first Spyderco Benchstone back in the late 90s. And I've wondered how other ceramic whetstones compared to those of Spyderco's or any other popular stone for that matter.
QUOTE]

JD Sypdo, since as Bal put it I don't have the stones to comment about this but I think the Shapton Glass Stones are similar to the Shapton Proffesional Series. They cut great but do need to be cleaned more often that say the Naniwa Chosera since they do not wear fast, sort of like the Spyderco Ceramics. The GS do have adequate feedback. I thought I had at one time looked at getting a 12k Naniwa Superstone but I think I got the Kitayama 8k instead. Hope someone can get you an answer.

Kev.
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

Hey Syphen, any updates on how the Naniwa SS are working?

Kev.