flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knife nut404

flashlights

Post by knife nut404 »

who carrys a flashlight and what do you use it for the most and do you carry yours during the day?
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm just starting to get into flashlights but I have a Fenix E15 that I carry on my keys. Great little light that I have used a lot more than I thought I would.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Every day :) Little stuff you wouldn't normally think of like trying to find those USB slots on the computer.

Typically I have a single AA, AAA or CR123 model. Winter coats allow for a little longer/fatter combo.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Do I carry a flashlight? Better to ask when I do NOT carry one! :D
On my keys, I have a Lummi RAW Al, on my belt I have an Eagletac D25c mini, at night I have a 1xAAA Preon clipped to my nightshirt, and half a dozen other lights scattered from the nightstand to the dresser, etc.

On the bike, I run a Dinotte 140L red rear light, 2 Solarforce XPG lights on the boom, a pair of Dinotte 200L front white lights, and a Solarforce XML light on the helmet. Oh and not to forget, the Inova 24/7 in tri-color blinky mode also on the back of the bike.

My personal lights are for seeing under stuff in the house, in the garage etc, and at night for avoiding stepping on stuff the Monkeys left scattered about.

My bike lights serve to let me ride more safely at night, by both being able to see, and by being SEEN more readily by inattentive drivers.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Also have one one me at all times.

Whether its a AA, AAA, CR123, or CR123x2 its something.

Normally a Fenix P2D in the pocket. Keep a surefire E1b in the bag. 7777's Mini123 on the keys.

Since the weather calls for some heavier clothes, I tend to keep a Fenix PD30+ or LX2 in the jacket.

Sadly I have 10 other high end lights sitting in the display without much use... Cant really EDC a Eagletac M2XC4 :P
Come Join Us Click Here
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I always have a flashlight with me, no matter where I am (well...maybe not in the pool).

I am a huge fan of the 4Sevens flashlights - I've got six or seven of them. The little Mini 123 is a tiny thing that slips in the pocket easily - but carries a big whollop, some models topping 210 lumens in a package that is only 1.5" long. 4Sevens also makes several tactical models and a wide variety of solid users.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Donut

Post by Donut »

I carry all the time.

Typically a 1xCR123 light or possibly a 2xCR123. Normally a Dereelight C2H, Quark 123, Quark 123^2, Novatac 120P, RA Clicky, or Nitecore EX10.

There is always something you need to see in the back of a closet that doesn't have a light or I use it to travel safely (tripping hazards in the dark). Mostly convenience things. Last night I used a High CRI LED light to cook steaks.

I think that being part of the lighting industry and knowing what the code requirements for emergency lighting are and what the lighting manufacturers say about emergency batteries never working right... That might make me more paranoid.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
oregon

Post by oregon »

I carry this sterile pinch light, on the zipper of my coat, when its chilly. I used it early this morning @ Lowe's in order to look into the emitter of a AA Maglite LED and try to see the emitter and its number.

Post by 1623 »

I carry a Klarus NT10 powered by a single Surefire A123.

I find the 240 Lumen output substantial enough for my present use, which includes making rounds in the evening to lock multiple doors on site, in dim to no light situations.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Photon Micro Light – I carry this on every keychain I have; perfect for peering into dark nooks and crannies. Just bright enough to light the emergency stairway of any highrise should you have a power outage. Living and working in San Francisco, I had to use my Photon for this purpose many times. It’s the perfect EDC light.

NovaTac 120P – (1 x CR123, Max Lumens 120) Compact high power light. I carry this in my pocket for hiking and backpacking at night and when weight is a factor. If the SHTF I can also mount this to any weapon with a Picantinny rail using the optional NovaTac Quick Reaction mount.

SureFire E2D LED Defender – (Two cell CR123, Max Lumens 120). This features crenellated strike bezels on front and rear. I use this like the NovaTac, but also around the house and evening walks in the city.

I have a bunch of other SureFire and Luxeon LED lights, one in each room for emergencies. I know there are brands that are just as good or even better. All I know is the ones I use are all plenty good enough and have served my needs for years.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

After living through three major blackouts? I wouldn't be caught dead without one.

I was carrying a 15 year old Mini-Maglite but switched to a Fenix LD20 a few months ago. Much brighter and uses AA batteries. So many good choices out there that it was hard to decide.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

NYRich wrote:After living through three major blackouts? I wouldn't be caught dead without one.

I was carrying a 15 year old Mini-Maglite but switched to a Fenix LD20 a few months ago. Much brighter and uses AA batteries. So many good choices out there that it was hard to decide.
i just got the fenix ld20 to day. never carryed a flsh light before till i ended up needing it so no i am perpared.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
JLS

Post by JLS »

I carry a Fenix PD31 and an Olight T10 at all times, day or night. The Fenix gets used the most due to the 18650 rechargeable batteries I have for it. They're actually with me more than my knives since I can carry them on planes when I travel.

They get used all the time and it's well worth the slight inconvenience compared to their everyday utility. In emergencies, they're indispensable.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I tend to carry a pair most days to work. A Fenix E01 that rides on my keychain and a 4sevens Quark Mini X model in my pocket.
When I go out at night I add a Surefire E1B as well as a 4sevens Quark AA and sometimes a Surefire LX2. I also have several headlamps and flashlights in my truck at all times.

Hey, I carry three knives most days. Why not a bunch of flashlights?
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I always have my ITP A2 on me. It went through the washing machine last week and still works great. I'm hoping I'll get a Zebralight soon.
Spyder Count: 7
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Not to into flashlights but I always have a cheap maglite
xl100
angusW

Post by angusW »

At home I either have a Neutral white QuarkX 123² or a Quark 123.

At work it's the Neutral white QuarkX 123². In the shirt pocket a high CRI Preon II that I just started carrying. Before that Preon was the Neutral white which is now on backup duty and before that was a cool white Preon II. Also have a Maelstron G5 and a Fenix TK12 R5 with a OP reflector in the man bag at work.

What do I use them for? To see in dark places :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
justinl

Post by justinl »

fenix e15 on the keys, especially for winter when it gets dark quick. But also VERY useful in dark theatres and such.

a LED lenser P5R for work where I need a bit more juice. I work in a public aquarium and having to peer into deep dark tanks requires a decent light. Different settings are a must to keep from startling more jumpy fish and blinding shrimp who are sensitive to quick changes in brightness.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Probably since around the 1994 to 1996 timeframe, I always carried a Mini Maglite in a leather holster on my belt, in uniform or in civilian attire, and both day and night. This flashlight always came in handy and has a really neat "candle" feature where you unscrew the head, use the head as a base, and insert the tail end of the light into the the head. You've now got a "candle."

Although the Mini Maglite was great, there were times when I needed more light than it could produce. So, in 2006 I bought a SureFire 6P with the idea of replacing the Mini Maglite. Initially this was a great idea until the SureFire 6P would eat up its batteries leaving me with no light. Thus, I soon started carrying both flashlights on my belt with the Mini Maglite as a back-up. Since then I've actually found situations were the SureFire 6P provided too much light (such as for close-up work) and would need to switch over to the Mini Maglite for a less intense light.

Currently, both the Mini Maglite and SureFire 6P serve equal duty with each complimenting the other with their unique advantages.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

A Surefire of some sort, anodized aluminum. The things are **** near unbreakable. I've accumulated a few of them, weapons lights too. Also a Streamlight on my keys, I think it's called the Micro? Excellent little led for its size and weight.

Anybody have any good suggestions for a small AAA light?