flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The m20 uses a xpg r5 for more throw but less lumens. It's a flood vs focus battle but both are good (as are the 4Sevens or the other brands mentioned).

In small pocket lights moonlight modes are awesome for the bedroom or pitch black (.2-.5ish lumens). Many just have low/med/high/strobe. Others have a variable system. Not a dealbreaker and for larger tac lights moonlight is a luxury, IMHO.

There is a guy on the Candlepower forums who has done hundreds of great reviews named Self-Built. That and the good YouTubers like Going Gear will help clarify things :) .
coonan

Post by coonan »

I use a Streamlight Stinger LED HP every night. It is more powerfull and 1/2 the size of my sl35 streamlight that that I used for 17 years that never failed once.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

blerv wrote:there is a guy on the candlepower forums who has done hundreds of great reviews named self-built. That and the good youtubers like going gear will help clarify things :) .
+1
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

spyderkoholic wrote:Monocrom,

Do you have any pics of your custom lights? It would be cool to see what they look like.
Thanks.
Honestly, from the outside they don't look like anything special.

My Milky-modded KL1 on the back E2E body with E2D tailcap literally looks like a SureFire E2DL without the teeth on the bezel.

My L1 Gemini looks exactly like a stock SureFire L1 on the outside.

What comes out of both lights is very different though. :D
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Oh well, the lights sound pretty awesome from your description of them. I've got stock
4Sevens, Olight, Fenix, Surefire, and Klaurus lights, but I do love em! Gonna order another
Fenix light here shortly too. Another **** addiction! :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="Blerv"]The m20 uses a xpg r5 for more throw but less lumens. It's a flood vs focus battle but both are good (as are the 4Sevens or the other brands mentioned).

So if battery consumption is something I am concerned about and I am not concerned about lighting up a broad area, it is better to go to the lower lumens and different lens I presume? (if that's what the XPG R5 is).

Thanks for the Candlepower tip, I will head over to the forums and do some more research.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

spyderkoholic wrote:Oh well, the lights sound pretty awesome from your description of them. I've got stock
4Sevens, Olight, Fenix, Surefire, and Klaurus lights, but I do love em! Gonna order another
Fenix light here shortly too. Another **** addiction! :D
Yeah, it gets particularly bad when you get into modded lights, and then the full-on customs.

If you don't have a Fenix LD01 yet, I recommend it. I've tried out a number of various coin-cell and single AAA keychain lights. I should have stuck with my old Fenix L0D. Total package in a single AAA, twist action, light. It's the older version of the LD01. Thankfully I still have it.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I looked at flashlights recently (past 6 months) and now have two. Fenix LD01: ($37) very simple to use single AAA light, 3 brightnesses. The brightest two I can walk my dog with and have a 16' leash. I can see much farther than that. I have a 1 acre yard and can see a lot of it. I also have a Fenix E11 ($26). VERY easy to use single AA light. I really like both because of the brightness of such small packages and simplicity. I don't need SOS or any other features that are available. My next light I'll get after doing some research and a suggestion from a forum friend is the Fenix LD40 ($60). It is a 4 AA battery light that is 7 1/4" long. Four brightnesses between 4 and 248 lumens plus a few other selections.

I don't have much flashlight experience but the two I have now actually do everything I need. The LD40 is much more powerful than I need but if I do need a lot of light that will do it for me. After using a mini-maglite for about 20 years these new things blow me away. I even upgraded the mini-maglite with a 1 watt LED bulb and IQ switch from Nite-Ize. Total spent on the light is about $35 and it is not even close to the brightness of my Fenix LD01 single AAA light, not to mention small. It has a pocket clip so I carry it with a Ladybug attached. I can put both in my pocket or let the knife hang out like a FOB.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

psimonl wrote:Isn't this bad behavior???

I was raised never to talk badly about people if they couldn't hear...

Simon

Ps.: If this was a joke, sorry I didn't understand........
What I said about my wife not being worth more than $7 was a joke. I told my wife you had stood up for her honer and she asked me to thank you for her. :D

Jack
PS: My wife is worth at least $10. :D There are two sides to every story however and I'd hate to hear what dollar amount she would equate me to. :(
oregon

smoke

Post by oregon »

I don't carry this torch off the old homestead, don't want to scare the kids, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Hotwire (CandlePower project), ROP, 3D Maglite shell loaded with 9xAA in a custom carrier, ultra-clear pyrex glass lens and a Pelican bulb:

Please click on pic below for a short Video of this light meeting newsprint freshly cut from the Portland Tribune (the smoke is illustrative but it also works as a handwarmer/flashlight):

amar

Post by amar »

Lights and knives go hand-in-hand is what I found. I started in 2003 with an el-cheapo RiverRock light that I got from Sears, and a Malglite Solitaire, but then moved onto Fenix in 2008-9. From Fenix, it was to JetBeam/Nitecore/4sevens. I sold most of my flashlights, and keep these around now - Arc AAA, Arc AAA Ti, Peak LED Solutions Eiger SS, Zebralight SC50, Malkoff devices MD2 with high-CRI M61 drop-in, and an HDS EDC light.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

oregon wrote:I don't carry this torch off the old homestead, don't want to scare the kids, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.
HOLY SMOKES!!! That's simply awesome. I want one!
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

jackknifeh wrote:What I said about my wife not being worth more than $7 was a joke. I told my wife you had stood up for her honer and she asked me to thank you for her. :D

Jack
PS: My wife is worth at least $10. :D There are two sides to every story however and I'd hate to hear what dollar amount she would equate me to. :(
Thank you for clearing that out....

Now, go ask your wife how much you are worth to her!!! ;)

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice ROP Oregon! My bro made a couple of those, great classic mod. Incans make me giddy :) .

DRKBC wrote:So if battery consumption is something I am concerned about and I am not concerned about lighting up a broad area, it is better to go to the lower lumens and different lens I presume? (if that's what the XPG R5 is).

Thanks for the Candlepower tip, I will head over to the forums and do some more research.
Sorry didn't see this until now. Quite a few people out there know much more than me but feel free to send a pm anytime you want a long geeky chat. Goes for all of you! :)

Since the M20/21 is more of a tactical light for the jacket pocket the XPG is a nice mix of throw, runtime and lumens. You could definitely go with the XML but I would use high mode less frequently.

Just my opinion tho. Those reviews will help a ton. With multiple modes and anything over 80 lumens you can light up a dark room for a long distance. A Quark is more throw than most can imagine who are used to mini Maglites.
OverkiLL

Post by OverkiLL »

Nitecore D10 or Surefire E1B backup...

Huge Surefire fan....I have a few too many.
Delica4 PE (stone wash) | Delica4 FFG Brown PE | Endura4 Foliage Green CE | Endura4 ZDP-189 SE | Civilian SE | Manix2 M4 | Caly 3.5 Super Blue | Tasman Salt PE | Matriarch2 SE | Para-Military2 M390 | DoDo S30V PE
Donut

Post by Donut »

oregon wrote:I don't carry this torch off the old homestead, don't want to scare the kids, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Hotwire (CandlePower project), ROP, 3D Maglite shell loaded with 9xAA in a custom carrier, ultra-clear pyrex glass lens and a Pelican bulb:
Oregon, ROP is a hotwire that operates off of 6 cells. The Pelican lamp will die if you run it on 9 cells. Maybe it isn't a ROP or maybe you are using a different Pelican lamp.

I have a 2D ROP with a similar 6 cell battery pack in my trunk.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Just got my Fenix TK-21 in and I love it! I did not need another light, but I really wanted this one. It is powered by two CR-123 batteries for a Turbo lumen output of 428 blinding lumens! Oh yeah baby, 428 lumens...I own the night!

It also has a button on the head that allows the user to cycle through the other levels of brightness. They are 5, 58, 108, and the awesome 428 lumens. So, you turn it on by the rear button, and cycle through the other levels of brightness, to your desired setting. So easy and so bad a$$!

Only $90.00 too at the Cutlery Shoppee!

Spyderco really needs to make a tac light too. The light could also serve as a venom output as well as the mega lumes it's sure to have. Blind and poison the bad guys who attempt to visit harm upon you!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="spyderkoholic"]Just got my Fenix TK-21 in and I love it! I did not need another light, but I really wanted this one. It is powered by two CR-123 batteries for a Turbo lumen output of 428 blinding lumens! Oh yeah baby, 428 lumens...I own the night!

It also has a button on the head that allows the user to cycle through the other levels of brightness. They are 5, 58, 108, and the awesome 428 lumens. So, you turn it on by the rear button, and cycle through the other levels of brightness, to your desired setting. So easy and so bad a$$!

I just ordered the same light, I am glad you like it as its my first decent flashlight. What sold me among other things was the button on the head that enabled you to cycle through the levels. I wasn't crazy about the system some of the other flashlights had where you need to turn the head to go through the cycles. Anyway glad to know I am not alone can't wait to get it.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

DRKBC,

I've actually had the light for three days now and I can't say enough good things about it. Ease of use is one of the reasons I really dig this light. I showed it to a couple of guys at work and I think one or two of them may be buying one as well.

It also fills the hand quite nicely and has a nice bevel to use for self defense, if needed. Kick a$$ all around light.

Hope you enjoy the light and provide us with an update too. :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Hi Spyderkoholic,

Thanks, I will keep you updated. How do you feel about the size, not too big?