Facial Sharp Things

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
NYRich

Facial Sharp Things

Post by NYRich »

That Movember post got me to thinking about what sharp things, if any, we use to shave with. Most of us probably have plenty of bald spots on our arms, but I'm assuming that we don't do any Spydie-shaving on our mugs.

I'll start it by saying I use a Merkur double edge to shave my neck (I have a beard and mustache) and a wanna-be straight (replaceable blade) to shape my beard and 'stache.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I've shaved completely with a Bladeforums blue G-10 Native a number of years ago. It was more of a "told you I could" stunt and it took a LONG time, but it was a great shave.

I've also shaved little patches on my face a few other times, for basically the same reasons. People are often amazed, but they come away with a new idea of what sharp is.

Chapman Preferred has a specially ground H1 Salt that he used to shave with. It's an impressive piece and I admire his dedication.

On a general basis, I shave with cheap disposables. I should care more, but I only shave once or twice a week anyway. It's fast and is good enough. Luckily my wife doesn't mind the scruff.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sometimes I go a few days without shaving and when I use my multiblade Gillette, the several day accumulation will clog up the blade something awful. My solution these days is to use my GB to do the heavy removal and finish up with my multi razor.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

If I can take my time or have a heavy beard I use an old Gillette Tech Double Edge with Feather blades. I take a Mach 3 disposable to the gym when I'm there in the morning.

I picked up a NIB Rolls Razor recently but haven't shaved with it yet. One lid contains a hone and the other a leather strop.

Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I've been shaving with a straight for about a month--ever since I got my straight back from a fellow forumite (thanks Butch!!!). I still clean up a few awkward spots with a disposable, especially on the off-hand side.

I too have a Rolls Razor--haven't used it yet.
butch

Post by butch »

good to hear your sticking with it (thos odd spots get easer as you get more in tune with your razor)

i have been using one of my custom straights(i have made myself a few) for over 3 years now
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

for the last 2 weeks, my razor has been the Caly Aogami super. Before that it was a Kershaw skyline in 13c26. They both take crazy sharp edges.

Being young, I only really needed to start shaving 2-4 months ago, I havent needed to buy a razor yet because I can get near perfect results with my knives. I think I have honed my sharpening skills pretty well in the past year :p :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a total pansy when it comes to shaving. I either don't shave, and use clippers all the way down to trim it down to stubble, or i use a Mach 3. I also use the Mach 3 on my head. I get super bad razor burn.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Sometimes I go a few days without shaving and when I use my multiblade Gillette, the several day accumulation will clog up the blade something awful.
I had the same problem with my Gillette Mach 3 but discovered that the disposable Mach 3's were not only cheaper (Costco), but unlike the cartridges there is nothing behind the three blades for the whiskers to get jammed into. It's easy to clean out the whiskers stuck between the blades if the shower nozzle has some pressure.(plenty at the gym)
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Sequimite wrote:If I can take my time or have a heavy beard I use an old Gillette Tech Double Edge with Feather blades. I take a Mach 3 disposable to the gym when I'm there in the morning.

I picked up a NIB Rolls Razor recently but haven't shaved with it yet. One lid contains a hone and the other a leather strop.

That Rolls Razor is an interesting looking thing. I've never seen one before.

I've tried Feathers but found them too aggressive with my Merkur handles. Even in my Merkur Progress, the lowest setting didn't tame them. The Gillette Techs are supposed to be excellent with Feathers but I've never tried one.

My best results have been with Crystal Platinum blades from Israel. At $12 for 100 blades, they are hard to beat and work fine in both my Merkurs. I snap them in half to use in my replaceable-blade "straight".
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The Rolls is really a straight razor on a handle. The box has a sharpening stone in one side and a leather strop on the other. The wire handle, affixed in tracks in the box, is used to draw the blade back and forth across the sharpening and stropping surfaces. The tracks are designed with little gears so that the blade flips at the end of each stroke--makes for REALLY fast sharpening. I haven't used mine yet only because I think I need to hand sharpen the blade first. Two cheers to Sequimite for getting it done.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

2cha wrote:The Rolls is really a straight razor on a handle. The box has a sharpening stone in one side and a leather strop on the other. The wire handle, affixed in tracks in the box, is used to draw the blade back and forth across the sharpening and stropping surfaces. The tracks are designed with little gears so that the blade flips at the end of each stroke--makes for REALLY fast sharpening. I haven't used mine yet only because I think I need to hand sharpen the blade first. Two cheers to Sequimite for getting it done.
I used to spend quite a bit of time on the SMF forum and never came across one of these. Interesting site if you're into wet shaving but a real pain to join due to their technical issues.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

What is this shaving trip :confused: ? I am covered in hair, like an ape.
God made me this way so it's how I stay.
Addmitedly I do have the little bald patches on my left arm.
I was with some mates last week & my PE Viele came out for a pass around. Mitch was saying what a beaut knife it is when Nathan took it from him, flipped it open & said, "but look at this", as he ran it down his very hairy forearm. That Viele stripped the hair off like the fleece coming off a sheep, a six inch strip of it.
I even cringed a bit at the speed & confidence he did it with. Mitch was slack jawed. :D
O.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

NYRich wrote:I used to spend quite a bit of time on the SMF forum and never came across one of these. Interesting site if you're into wet shaving but a real pain to join due to their technical issues.
I actually bought the Rolls Razor because it was cool and cheap; $30 shipped from ebay NIB with original paperwork. I'm not sure when I'll get around to using it and, other than the built in sharpening system, I doubt that it has any advantage over a straight razor.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey Evil, why don't you take that Para 2 and try the "Gravity Drop Shave". That's the one that I want to see the video of. :D
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Sequimite wrote:I actually bought the Rolls Razor because it was cool and cheap; $30 shipped from ebay NIB with original paperwork. I'm not sure when I'll get around to using it and, other than the built in sharpening system, I doubt that it has any advantage over a straight razor.
For $30 I might just give it a try. A good straight costs a heck of a lot more than that.
syphen

Post by syphen »

I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE98 safety razor for a while now:

Finally manned up a little and ordered myself a Dovo Shavette (cheap, why not try it? Its also a place to use up all the DE blades I have kicking around If I can figure the straight wet shave out.) and a Boker Tree Brand Straight razor with Micarta scales:

Ordered it from straightrazordesigns .. They hone and oil them up real nice before shipping them out (so I read on some shaving forums!) I already have a couple nice strops.. None of my knife sharpening stuff goes into the grits that I think I'll need for this straight razor. Looking at a few wet stones that are 4k and 8k combos. Hoping to atleast use it for a while first before it needs a honing. I'm also really hoping that my skills putting edges on all my spydies over the past few years will help me get this Boker to a wicked edge.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time! Hoping to learn how to handle the beast with time. Its beautiful, thats for sure!.
Too many Spydies to list!