US House Passes National Right to Carry Reciprocity Legislation

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

US House Passes National Right to Carry Reciprocity Legislation

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

U.S. House Passes NRA-backed

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed an important self-defense measure that would enable millions of Right-to-Carry permit holders across the country to carry concealed firearms while traveling outside their home states. H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, passed by a majority bipartisan vote of 272 to 154. All amendments aimed to weaken or damage the integrity of this bill were defeated.

“NRA has made the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act a priority because it enhances the fundamental right to self-defense guaranteed to all law-abiding people,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “People are not immune from crime when they cross state lines. That is why it is vital for them to be able to defend themselves and their loved ones should the need arise.”

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), allows any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

This bill does not affect existing state laws. State laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within each state’s borders. H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing system or impose federal standards on state permits; rather, it requires the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

As of today, 49 states have laws in place that permit their citizens to carry a concealed firearm in some form. Only Illinois and the District of Columbia deny its residents the right to carry concealed firearms outside their homes or businesses for self-defense.

“We are grateful for the support of Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Cantor, Majority Whip McCarthy, Judiciary Chairman Smith and primary sponsors Congressmen Stearns and Shuler for their steadfast support of H.R. 822. Thanks to the persistence of millions of American gun owners and NRA members, Congress has moved one step closer to improving crucial self-defense laws in this country,” concluded Cox.

WOW; Didn't think it would make it this far...but we are headed in the right direction ;) ..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

We can't carry in Hawaii. We can only have guns on us going to or from the range or hunting zone. I'm glad to hear this went through though.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Awesome news, thanks for passing along the info Doc. Thanks to the NRA and many devoted Americans, it looks like we are indeed moving in the right direction with gun laws. We just need to get Illinois to make a positive move of some kind, baby steps if nothing else.

If you are in favor of the right to carry, please consider taking the steps to get yourself legal. Check your State and County laws and see what you need to do. Usually it involves taking a class, passing a test and paying the fees. Considering that so many Americans have given their lives to fight for our freedoms, it's the least that we can all do. Even if you don't think that you would carry, if you are legal, then you have that right anytime that you feel the need. You never know when it might be to your advantage to have that right. We pay car insurance, home insurance, life and health insurance etc etc, but this is the one insurance that you should have above all others.

What could be more important than protecting yourself and your loved ones. Take a look into your spouse's and children's eyes and then imagine someone trying to hurt them.

Please, just do it. Thank you.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

One more abrogation of states rights by the federal government!!!!!

On a practical note, I hope it makes it into law.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

Even if this passes the Senate, you know Obama will veto it........
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Well I hope the president passes the bill,but I won`t hold my breath.It also has to pass through the senate first before it gets to the president.Lets keep our fingers crossed.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Good for the US. Don't think it will change anything here in Illinois.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

cevtv wrote:you know Obama will veto it........
Really, what are you basing this on? Facts or propaganda?

The fact that he signed a law granting right to carry in Nat'l Parks? Or, maybe, the fact that he signed a law expanding the category of persons who can carry Nationally as LEOs and retired LEOs? Perhaps you're basing this on the fact that he signed a law which essentially forces Amtrak to allow transportation of checked weapons. I guess he showed his anti-gun colors when he signed into law relaxation of the tax filing burdens on ammo manufacturers. Hmm, maybe it's that pesky assault weapon and hi-cap mag ban,... wait, oops, expired, and no effort to reanimate it.
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

2cha wrote:Really, what are you basing this on? Facts or propaganda?

The fact that he signed a law granting right to carry in Nat'l Parks? Or, maybe, the fact that he signed a law expanding the category of persons who can carry Nationally as LEOs and retired LEOs? Perhaps you're basing this on the fact that he signed a law which essentially forces Amtrak to allow transportation of checked weapons. I guess he showed his anti-gun colors when he signed into law relaxation of the tax filing burdens on ammo manufacturers. Hmm, maybe it's that pesky assault weapon and hi-cap mag ban,... wait, oops, expired, and no effort to reanimate it.
Keep dreaming... The fact that he already said he will veto it means nothing, right??
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

cevtv wrote:Keep dreaming... The fact that he already said he will veto it means nothing, right??
Let's have a link. All I can find is TWO legislators urging him to veto it.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

2cha wrote:Really, what are you basing this on? Facts or propaganda?

It's a well known fact that Obama is expanding gun owners' rights just to lull them into a false sense of security. After eight years of deception he will act decisively to restrict gun rights in 2017.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Just a little reminder...

• In an attempt to respect the extreme diversity of our members, we ask that you do not start or participate in any discussions relating to religion or politics.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Putting aside political rhetoric, I think this has a good chance to become law.

Whether or not it is signed is the final step of this process. I believe cevtv is repeating a falsehood and again ask that he provide a link for his assertion.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sequimite wrote:It's a well known fact that Obama is expanding gun owners' rights just to lull them into a false sense of security. After eight years of deception he will act decisively to restrict gun rights in 2017.
Very funny. But, seriously, the Act does broaden the geography of two important questions. First, what can you legally defend while carrying in a given state? And second, in what states can a righteous shoot (judged in criminal court or before) open your life savings to a civil suit (see http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/)? Should the Act become law, it doesn't much clarify things...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

wrdwrght wrote:the Act does broaden the geography of two important questions. First, what can you legally defend while carrying in a given state? And second, in what states can a righteous shoot (judged in criminal court or before) open your life savings to a civil suit (see http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/)? Should the Act become law, it doesn't much clarify things...
To paraphrase Voltaire, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The issues you raise are valid but get deeper into the thicket of states' rights and will be much harder to get into law. We used to get model acts from the federal government all the time that the states individually adopted because uniformity and efficiency was in each state's best interests.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sequimite wrote:don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Well put, and not my intent. Just trying to leaven what seems a victory with a dose of reality.

2cha

Post by 2cha »

I initially doubted the Constitutionality of the Act. I've changed sides on that subject. Here's a link to (written) testimony by a Constitutional Law professor. I found the arguments persuasive enough to change my mind,...

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf ... 132011.pdf
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Good read. Thanks for the link.

Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

Before that act was passed it was technically illegal for myself as a LEO to carry my weapon outside of Illinois off duty and I could have been arrested for doing so.
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper