Assisted opening folders (2)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

How do you feel about assisted folders? (choices will be public)

I like them for EDC
28%
I don't like them for EDC
35%
I think they have their place (add details if you want)
31%
I think they should be like switchblades legally (add details if you want)
6%

Total votes: 68

jackknifeh

Assisted opening folders (2)

Post by jackknifeh »

Assisted (spring) opening folding knives. Do you like them or not? I don't mean switchblades. I've owned (and sold) two. SOG Trident and Flash II.

My opinion: For my use they are too unsafe since I don't need the speed for self defense or anything. I opened the knife once and the blade barely nicked my other hand. Another time the tip scratched a piece of furniture. Both of these "accidents" can be attributed to carelessness. Now I have a grandson in the house a lot and it would be bad enough for him to get hold of any knife. A folder with a spring loaded blade would be even worse if he got hold of it. I pay SPECIAL ATTENTION to keeping knives out of reach now but am not stupid enough to think I couldn't leave one out by mistake. Also, any time you increase the complexity of anything you increase the possibility of failure. Fixed is simpler than folding. Folding is simpler than assisted opening, Assisted opening can be more or less complex depending on the design. Both of my assisted folders springs failed more than once. I don't think that is a normal ratio for SOG or any other company. I just believe if I NEEDED an assisted opener (LEO, FD, soldier, etc.) for speed I would also want it to be 100% reliable, or as close as possible.

I think assisted folders definately have their place and wonder how you guys feel about them for EDC or any other use you have.

Jack
PS edit
I just voted but don't see any indication how I voted other than the fact that I'm the only vote so far. I thought votes would be public. Can anyone tell what I voted for compared to other voters? Just curious.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I could take them or leave them. Give me a Spyderco with the wave, or a ziptie, and I'm happy. Much faster, no springs to break.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I like them in so much that they are a cool novelty. However, from a practicality standpoint, I find they (or autos) are (1) no faster than a Sypder-Hole, (2) actually slower to deploy because you have to disengage the safety, or risk accidental injury if you don't use a safety, (3) they are far more prone to breaking due to their dependence on a spring and mechanical action.

If Spyderco produced one would I buy one? Yes. But like my Embassy, it would have to be a design that I was attracted to on its own merits instead of the fact that it was an 'assisted opening' blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted they have their place, since i have owned a couple assisted openers that i liked and would own them again. If i can't have a spydie hole, i'll settle for assisted opening. I still like the Kershaw Chive, i just wish it came in better steel. I also like the Buck Rush.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
r small

Post by r small »

I have no use for assisted openers. Spyder hole and thumb is enough, thank you.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Since John Law says I don't get to play with fully auto where I live, I enjoy a good assisted flipper every now and again. My 470 Emissary get's good pocket time. It's a fun little knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me it's a bit gimmicky. Not really any faster to open it than any traditional folder via flick.

Main point of contention is with the exception of being around my buddies with a few beers I never "flick" knives. It's a great way to make every non-knife person around you frightened. With AO knives it requires two hands to open it normally...kinda funny if you think about it.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have an auto and a assist and don't like them. On both you have to disengage a lock before you open them so I think it's pointless.

Autos are illegal to carry here. I was able to buy one when I was a volunteer firefighter and I carried it on my gear. When I quit, I took the lock out so all you have to do is press the button. It now sits on my desk and opens envelopes like lightning. :)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I had a BM 470 emmisary I really really liked for a little while. I was conscious, however, that over time it became slower. If it had been built a little better, out of something like Ti, not aluminum, I probably would still have it. I traded it for my GB though, so I am pretty happy with the result.
metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

Just bought an Embassy. It will never go out of the house. Just bought it to say that I have one. Super cool knife.
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

metalhed wrote:Just bought an Embassy. It will never go out of the house. Just bought it to say that I have one. Super cool knife.
That's about the same reason I bought mine. I figured if Spyderco was making an auto, I wanted to have one. I don't own any other autos because I don't see any tactical advantages to them. Some will claim they are appropriate for some 'weapon retention techniques,' and I guess that's cool if that's how they are training; but for me, I see no appreciable tactical advantage to an auto or an assisted opener. That said, for the life of me I can't see why they are illegal in so many places.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I don't see much of a point for edc. They are fun for a certain amount of time. I don't like how you can't easily control how fast they open.
Spyder Count: 7
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Have an Embassy as well but would never edc for SD or any of the power assist knives, there are very few folders out their (few exceptions and most are Spydercos) I would ever carry for SD....Call me old fashion...but folders for utility and Fixed blade for defense is my motto and if it happens to be a gun I'm carrying,,,it has to go bang each and every time I pull the trigger no matter what ammo is in it...or it doesn't get carried....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jossta

Post by jossta »

I like the idea, but don't want the extra parts to break. I have had the ZT0300 on my list since it came out but I don't have one b/c I don't want to deal with removing the spring and adjusting the detent.
springnr

Post by springnr »

My opinion: For my use they are too unsafe since I don't need ....

I see one of the poll choices is that assisted folders should be illegal.

A second party, really has no business impacting another persons ability to own an inanimate object. An outside force is required for the assisted mechanism to activate.

If accepting the personal responsibility of owning such an object is not for you, then don't.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

springnr wrote:My opinion: For my use they are too unsafe since I don't need ....

I see one of the poll choices is that assisted folders should be illegal.

A second party, really has no business impacting another persons ability to own an inanimate object. An outside force is required for the assisted mechanism to activate.

If accepting the personal responsibility of owning such an object is not for you, then don't.
I agree 100%. I put that choice there just in case there was someone who felt that strongly about automatic knives. I was curious to see if there was someone on a knife forum who had different feelings about assisted opening knives. Illegal knives, guns, etc. is another discussion that is old and going to get older. I believe the only things that should be illegal about any knife is some of the things you could do with one. A hammer isn't illegal but it is illegal for us to hit each other with them. Should be the same with knives as far as I'm concerned.

Jack
unit

Post by unit »

There was no option so I did not vote.

I do not like them for ANY use (EDC included). Some people do. I do not care if others like them or carry them. Knife laws are non-nonsensical enough...the last thing we need is more regulation (IMO).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
jakemex

Post by jakemex »

They are useful for those that need a one hand opening blade. Although I like playing with them I don't EDC one. I have two CRKT knives that are AO but disabled them, and they are definitely better for EDC now. I recently got a Kershaw Leek. Lots of fun, great knife but it will probably stay in its box. I'm loving the smooth opening Spyderco's I just received;they are fast enough for me. (Ambitious, Tenacious and Endura)
Endura 4 purple, Byrd Cara Cara2, Tenacious & Ambitious. Delivered 11-7-11 :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

springnr wrote:I see one of the poll choices is that assisted folders should be illegal.

The way I read it, it only says the two should be treated equally, which I think they should. I don't think either should be illegal. On the other hand, I think the present situation, where a knife that flies open by itself if you touch the blade is legal while one which flies open when you press a button a button on the handle is illegal, is pure hypocrisy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The Deacon wrote:The way I read it, it only says the two should be treated equally, which I think they should. I don't think either should be illegal. On the other hand, I think the present situation, where a knife that flies open by itself if you touch the blade is legal while one which flies open when you press a button a button on the handle is illegal, is pure hypocrisy.
Yep, something like that.