China's Ancient Knife Coins

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

China's Ancient Knife Coins

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

CHINA, knife coins
The knife coins were cast in the last 500 years BC in several places in China, the so-called "Warring States" era, when the Zhou emperor was powerless and the regional governments were constantly squabbling over dominance issues. Hundreds of knife types are known, divided into several general types. Knife money is the name of large, cast, bronze, knife-shaped coins produced by various governments and kingdoms in what is now known as China, approximately 2500 years ago. They had holes on the end to be easily strapped onto belts or rings. Known as jin cuo dao (金错&#20992 ;) in Chinese, knife money circulated in China between 600 to 200 B.C. during the Zhou dynasty.There are several stories that attempt to explain how knife money was introduced but it is not certain if any or all are true. In one story a prince who was running low on money to pay his troops allowed them to use their knives as a form of currency to barter with villagers and the medium became so popular that it became generally accepted. In another story, the same prince began accepting knives as payment for small fines in the place of the current legal ring currency. Knife money may also have been brought in by sea traders from the Indian Ocean. Throughout time the knife currency slowly shrank until only the ring of the handle was produced as a symbol of the knife that it represented

CHINA, State of QI in Shandong, c. 400-220 BC, heavy knife, An Yang Zhi Fa Hua,
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 060-1a.jpg[/img][/IMG]

CHINA, State of QI in Shandong, c. 400-220 BC, heavy knife, Qi Fa Hua, Shi Liu Bu, thick patina was thinned with a wire brush, but remains intact with only bits of bare metal, little gouge on the reverse character demonstrates that it is original.
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 5875-1.jpg[/img][/IMG]

CHINA, State of YAN, NE China, c. 600-400 BC, pointed tip knife, Xin (8th celestial stem)
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... fd356a.jpg[/img][/IMG]

Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

WOW... KNIFE MONEY, why didnt I think of this!? Lets just cut out the middle man and start literally turning our money into knives!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

DCDesigns wrote:WOW... KNIFE MONEY, why didnt I think of this!? Lets just cut out the middle man and start literally turning our money into knives!
If you look at some of the collections around here, one might say we're already doing that! :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Wow, , jin cuo dao , , , now I have the term to use when she criticizes me for spending so much on knives. Now I can tell her the funds I use for new blades is "jin cuo dao. "
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems totally logical to me, since all my money turns into knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

The knives are Chinese though. So the quality is probably questionable at best. :D
Spyder Count: 7
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:The knives are Chinese though. So the quality is probably questionable at best. :D
LOL! Never thought of that. I guess the English translation is "Spydercurrency" to infer money spent on knives of high quality.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I wonder why they didn't trademark and get a patent on the hole back then.... :p Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The real reason behind the knife coins was so people couldn't be pick pocketed as easily. If you had money on you you had a way to defend yourself. The chinese just needed a reason to carry more knives. Not to mention it was popular with assassins "is that a knife?" "No its money".