9mm suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

d.2.the.p wrote:The Nation's Gun Show is coming to Dulles Expo Center in a couple weeks (I live in Northern VA outside DC), so I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking for by then.

The search continues!
A word about gun shows. Just my opinion.

1) Know your pricing cold before hand. Make a list of pricing both from local shop and from a reputable online dealer for any gun you even think you might want. If you're in N. Va (my fam. mostly lives in VA) there is a well reviewed gunshop in Manassas called Virginia Arms. Haven't been there myself. No range.
2) A deal isn't always a deal,... Generally, I prefer to buy from a gun shop. Out of a dozen pistols purchased NEW, I've had problems with three of them, and a problem with a magazine on a different pistol--none of them cut-rate brands (well, maybe Kel-tec). 4:12--those aren't good odds. When it's an apparent warranty issue, my shop goes through the hassle of shipping for me, at a significant money, time and hassle savings. While it's true that the manufacturer may end up picking up the shipping tab, it's a PITA, unless you live near a UPS staffed UPS facility, or have a UPS account (the MailBox places are NOT UPS staffed, at least around here), to deal with shipping a pistol. Plus, at least at my shop, the staff will live-fire check out the gun for you to make sure it's a problem with the gun, not the shooter.
3) If your thinking about a used gun, go with someone really, really experienced and knowledgeable or don't bother. Seriously. It's just not worth it, even assuming that you'll save money.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

2cha wrote:A word about gun shows. Just my opinion.

1) Know your pricing cold before hand. Make a list of pricing both from local shop and from a reputable online dealer for any gun you even think you might want. If you're in N. Va (my fam. mostly lives in VA) there is a well reviewed gunshop in Manassas called Virginia Arms. Haven't been there myself. No range.
2) A deal isn't always a deal,... Generally, I prefer to buy from a gun shop. Out of a dozen pistols purchased NEW, I've had problems with three of them, and a problem with a magazine on a different pistol--none of them cut-rate brands (well, maybe Kel-tec). 4:12--those aren't good odds. When it's an apparent warranty issue, my shop goes through the hassle of shipping for me, at a significant money, time and hassle savings. While it's true that the manufacturer may end up picking up the shipping tab, it's a PITA, unless you live near a UPS staffed UPS facility, or have a UPS account (the MailBox places are NOT UPS staffed, at least around here), to deal with shipping a pistol. Plus, at least at my shop, the staff will live-fire check out the gun for you to make sure it's a problem with the gun, not the shooter.
3) If your thinking about a used gun, go with someone really, really experienced and knowledgeable or don't bother. Seriously. It's just not worth it, even assuming that you'll save money.
+1, excellent advice.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

2cha wrote:A word about gun shows. Just my opinion.

This is excellent advice, and I appreciate it greatly. Thank you.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Well said 2cha. Personally, I would not buy many used guns unless they are sig certified used, or a glock police trade in. The cert. sigs are usually pretty good, and I have yet to see a police trade in glock 22 that wasnt 100% but then again there is not much you can do to a glock.

I would like to add: dont take the employee's of said gun store's words as unquestionable truth, as I have heard quite a few of their sales pitches where they try to steer you toward one thing or another for various reasons. They are trying to make money, and most wont outright decieve you, but I have heard a number of half truths and questionable statements made by gun shop workers about one model or another. Anything they say must be taken with a grain of salt, because you never know which ones genuinely want to help you, and which ones have an agenda.

Do your research, talk to someone who has owned whatever you are interested, and as 2cha says, take someone who is very knowledgeable if you are not.
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

Glock 22 all day. Best gun on the market IMHO
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and helpful information. Just as an update, as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a brand new Springfield Armory XD(m) 4.5" 9mm. This was one of 8 or so 9mm's that I thoroughly researched and got to shoot over the past couple weeks. It fits my hand like a dream, and I shot very well with the one I rented. I can't wait to break this bad boy in.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

d.2.the.p wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and helpful information. Just as an update, as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a brand new Springfield Armory XD(m) 4.5" 9mm. This was one of 8 or so 9mm's that I thoroughly researched and got to shoot over the past couple weeks. It fits my hand like a dream, and I shot very well with the one I rented. I can't wait to break this bad boy in.
Congrats! I know several people who own and enjoy the XD series in both 9mm and .45. Also, congrats on NOT impulse buying--you're a better man than I.