9mm suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Since you already have access to the Glock 17, I would suggest the 92FS... Very nice gun, a true service pistol.
Also while the H&K USP 9mm looks kind of similar to the glock the firing mechanism is completely different. It is a polymer style gun with a hammer, decocking lever / safety and true double action trigger.
Now a bit more pricey is the SIG P229. It is shorter overall (about an inch shorter than the glock, 92FS, full size usp) but i wouldn't call it a compact. It is an ALL steel construction and it is fit together like a Rolex.... but the best thing about the 229 is that you can buy it in 9mm and all you have to do to shoot either 40S&W or 357sig is a barrel change and mags. The 40 cal mags fit both 40 & 357, you have to use dedicated 9mm mags. Also if i may suggest the Walther P22... It's a 22 Cal that absolutely kicks butt! It was designed as a 3/4 sized version of the P99 with similar ergos and trigger pull. That little pistol will absolutely make you a better shooter! Everyone of my buddies that has shot mine has run out and bought one.
-Best of luck!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im partial to Sigs, but Im not an expert. Had my P228 for many years. My holy grail is the P210...will probably never get one - too expensive.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I was going to say a glock, but if you're looking for something else, going to a range and trying differnt ones is a good idea. When the wife was picking one out for carry, we went to a gun show so you can handle all types of guns in a short period of time. It's easier to get a look at a wide variety without the "pressure" of looking a one at a gunshop. You can always go back to your local gun shop to buy it after you have made your choice.

I have a stainless steel Beretta 92 FS and absolutely love it. It is a big gun, but feels lighter in the hands when you shoot it. No recoil at all which makes it easy to get back on target.

Agree with Doc on shooting a 22. We shoot the heck out of the 22's for practice, but then end the shooting session with a few mags of 9mm or whatever your big gun is. If you carry, you need to practice with what you carry.

I am always im favor of saving money but when it comes to knives and guns, I believe in buying quality, especially if it might save your life (or loved ones) someday. I have been tempted for the cheaper models from time to time, but if you plan on keeping it forever, go for the one that you really want.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

The 9mm XD(M) is very nice. It shoots nice and has a huge magazine capacity to go with it. You should also take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P line. They seem to be pretty popular right now too.
Spyder Count: 7
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I"ve gone through these in the past few years as carry and competition guns (I typically carry duty size guns in an IWB holster with a gun belt - they conceal great and are very comfortable on my 6' 175 pound frame).

5" 1911
3.5" 1911
KelTec P3AT
Glock 19
Browning Hi Point
Kahr CW40
Kahr T40
S&W M&P 9c
5" S&W M&P 9Pro
4.5" S&W M&P .45ACP
CZ82

I'm selling them all down to thin the herd to the S&W M&P 9Pro. I'm the most accurate with it, the fastest with it, it is not much more difficult to conceal than a 1911, and the most ergonomic out of all of those listed (though the Kahr T40 is close).

The gun is great, the only one that I would sell/trade it for is a CZ75 single action only /SP01 single action only. The ergos and shootability of both guns are great - ironic considering how polar opposites they are. That said - there isn't a .22 conversion for the M&P ;-)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

A lot of good recommendations here. If you definitely want the 9mm, third generation Glock 19 is an excellent choice. Simple, easy to clean, accurate, DEPENDABLE, many options available, good holsters, and quality ammo readily available at a good price. Though very nice handguns, the CZ and Beretta full size tend to be more of a "range gun". Whatever your decision, be safe.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I have had a CZ75B for a while, and last night ordered a CZ P01. I also have a Sig 239, Beretta 92 FS Inox, among others.

I prefer the CZs--that's why I just ordered another. I'll probably sell or trade the Beretta sooner or later. It is a great gun but I really don't like the DA trigger pull, though it is fine in SA. The grip is very wide along the barrel axis, this could be an issue if you have small hands, so make sure you shoot one before purchasing. The front sight is cast into the slide, so you're stuck with it. The Sig is beautiful, but the sights are way off vertically and dealing with Sig Customer Service on the issue has been a hassle. That being said, choosing CZ over Sig for my most recent purchase was still a difficult choice I see them used/factory reconditioned (have a red label on grip) from time to time for prices around the price of a new CZ 75B.

EVERYONE who has fired my CZ75 likes it and shoots it well. I am more accurate with it, with less practice, than anything other than my Ruger .22. I don't know of any other manufacturer who ships each weapon with a 25 meter test target. CZ does. By all counts, they are very, very durable and extraordinarily reliable. I rarely see them on secondary market--all kinds of assumptions can be drawn from this. In sum: naturally pointing for many people, inherently accurate, durable, reliable, mid-priced.

As a bonus, CZ sells a .22 conversion for around $350 (goes in and out of stock for extended periods, so if you see one, buy it, because it might be a while before see again)

Downside to CZ: I don't believe (my suspicion, no personal evidence to back-up) that CZ is super concerned about the US civilian market. I believe this because they sell so many service pistols to military and police forces all over the place. My concern is that if I had a warranty issue, resolution could take a while. I'd check the cz forum to verify before I believed me.

Most importantly before purchase, shoot one. If you can't find one to shoot, then if you shoot "well" with a 1911 or Browning Hi Power, you'll likely shoot well with a CZ. What I mean by shooting well is that you pick up the gun, fire it at the target casually, and the bullet goes pretty much where you intend. For example, with my Beretta, I 'naturally' shoot low meaning that I had to teach myself to grip the gun differently than I naturally do in order to be somewhat accurate when rapid fire shooting. The 'natural' grip issue isn't a problem necessarily, training will fix it.

Speaking of training, get some.

If you're at the range and see someone shooting a CZ, ask 'em if you can take a couple shots. Lots of people will say yes.

As for Caliber, 9mm is cheap and easy to shoot lots of.

Finally, don't sweat the choice too much. Truth is, guns--knives--potato chips--if you get the bug, one just isn't gonna do it for you
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

On the low side- Smith and weeson Sigma or SD and the stoeger cougar.

High side- smith and Wesson m&p
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Pneumothorax wrote:Im partial to Sigs, but Im not an expert. Had my P228 for many years. My holy grail is the P210...will probably never get one - too expensive.
They're making them again! :)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Tdog wrote: third generation Glock 19 is an excellent choice.
+1 for the Glock 19. Fits me like a glove. There are 4 9mm guns in our home. I like the 19 the best. But I agree 100% that you need to get your hands on some before you make a decision. Choose one that feels good in your hand and the trigger break is even to you. If you are going for cheap fun at the range, nothing wrong with a .22 in my opinion. If you are set on
9mm and just want range time, have you considered a compact? I know you are not going to EDC, but some of the small 9mm are friggen cheap. Keltec PF9 and the Ruger LC9 come to mind. Both are around 300.00 I think. Might be worth exploring if you just want to save some cash. Good luck, let us know what you decide. Pics welcome. :)
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

lol ok so i forgot that 45 was acp and not mm, my bad.

i thought 45acp was a more common round than the 40 therefore making them cheaper, i could of sworn that the 45acp is cheaper.

but back to the hand gun, i also forgot that what i really want next is a smith & wesson 686 357magnum 4 or 6'' barrel in stainless steel
BAL

Post by BAL »

RIOT wrote:lol ok so i forgot that 45 was acp and not mm, my bad.

i thought 45acp was a more common round than the 40 therefore making them cheaper, i could of sworn that the 45acp is cheaper.

but back to the hand gun, i also forgot that what i really want next is a smith & wesson 686 357magnum 4 or 6'' barrel in stainless steel
Not to make you feel bad RIOT, but I have a SW 686 357 Magnum 4" Stainless Steel and it about as good as you can get for a revolver. I have had it for 25 years or so and remember that I like the feel better than the 6". I keep it in theh kitchen in a finger opening gunvault for protection that the wife or I can get to if needed. She loves to shoot it, so it works great to have it where she can use it. It's It has a natural feel in the hands and great sites. A joy to shoot.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I don't have a lot of experience, but these are the 9mm's I've shot:

Glock 17 and 19
Sig P226
Springfield XD9
Something Ruger that I don't remember
Sig P250
S&W M&P9
Beretta 92

All of them were fine, but If I had to buy one, S&W M&P also the one everyone I know with a gun picked individually w/out talking to the others. P226 was awesome as well, but way more expensive.

If money weren't an issue, I'd be looking at an M&P, HK P30 and P226. Probably land on the M&P and get two.
SuperFist

Post by SuperFist »

The SIG P210.

Sf.
jossta

Post by jossta »

That looks friggin awesome.

However if I was going to spend 2k on 8 shots, it would probably be a custom 1911.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Bal: + 1 on the 686 Smith .357 Magnum....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
ocredyps_

Post by ocredyps_ »

Three guns i would check out
Sig p226 ( its a sig that all i have to say)
Walter p99 ( this is a fairly new gun for them but its awesome)
Rock Island Armory 1911 GI in 9mm ( cheap but awesome and beautiful gun )
glock and spyderco = love and friendship :spyder:
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Sooooooo many good suggestions here. I've got a few ranges not too far from where I live, so I think I'll just try renting whatever I can get my hands on and go from there.

I think that I do have my heart set on a full-size pistol, though. It will only be used at the range, so I'd prefer the potential for increased accuracy and ability to reacquire the target faster even if it is only a negligible improvement over a compact. The only chance that it ever will get carried is if zombie apocalypse finally happens, but I'm always keeping my fingers crossed that it does. ;)

Also, I'd like to keep my purchase under $600 unless I absolutely fall in love with something more expensive.

I haven't been shooting long enough to have really developed an opinion on what type of action I truly prefer between single and double. This is another reason for starting to rent as many options as possible. Any pros or cons one way or another, or is it purely personal preference?
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i have a bertta 92fs and it is worth every dollar i also have a springfield xd 9mm which is just as good it is a personal choice but i like the all medal of the bertta 92fs.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I've got a 92G Elite 2 and a 92G Compact L. The second is a custom gun but I love how it handles. I also had a 92FS INOX but sold that to a friend. I've never had a failure on any of them, apart from a single incident due to a bad reload round.

I have a factory .22 kit that shoots bulk .22 rounds fairly reliably so getting in cheap practice is easy. It's the best investment I made in gun accessories.

Aside from that, I had s Sig229 that I loved to shoot. I sold it because I got out of 357SIG but now I wish I converted it to .40SW and kept the gun. Another sale I regret. :) Based on that, a 9mm Sig should be awesome as well.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: