The Happy Halloween and where does PC end thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jtoler_9

The Happy Halloween and where does PC end thread

Post by jtoler_9 »

So first off, in preparation for this weekends Halloween celebrations, let me start an early Happy Halloween thread. And for those of you that don't celebrate Halloween, HAPPY HALLOWEEN. It's on the calendar, deal with it.

So I just got back from attending my kids "fall festival" celebration at her public school where we live. We have to call it fall festival because I guess the term Halloween is now offensive to some. And it got me to thinking, at what point does trying to be PC (Politically Correct) go too far?

And please keep your responses PC. :)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jtoler_9 wrote:So first off, in preparation for this weekends Halloween celebrations, let me start an early Happy Halloween thread. And for those of you that don't celebrate Halloween, HAPPY HALLOWEEN. It's on the calendar, deal with it.

So I just got back from attending my kids "fall festival" celebration at her public school where we live. We have to call it fall festival because I guess the term Halloween is now offensive to some. And it got me to thinking, at what point does trying to be PC (Politically Correct) go too far?
this aggravates me to no end. What protectionist BS, who the **** does the word Halloween offend?

Regardless, they should just deal with it. If everything that offended anyone was changed, we would be renaming too many things to ever keep track of.

I just get images of some fat usless do nothing parent who complained about this because they OBVIOUSLY have WAY too much free time. How they got people behind them, ill never understand.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Modern Halloween is the same thing as modern Christmas: Capitalistic rubbish.

That said, we all have our sensitivities. I don't push my religious views of Christmas on people who could care less just like I don't get offended at their Halloween costumes.

Let's get real, it's all fun and games. Very few "bad people" dress up as ghosts and run around looking for victims. I do think there are a TON of crappy parents who don't keep their little ones on tight enough leashes with non-reflective clothing around cars though.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

DCDesigns wrote:who the **** does the word Halloween offend?
It offends Christian evangelicals. I know dozens that have been having "fall festivals" for decades.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Sequimite wrote:It offends Christian evangelicals. I know dozens that have been having "fall festivals" for decades.
In the interest of learning here, is fall festival celebrated differently than Halloween? When I went to my kids newly renamed event at school, they were dressed up in costumes decorating pumpkins and making bats. Looked like the Halloween I remember. Is it the name that is offensive? I don't have any issue with people that want to celebrate different events/days/religious events. But when we disrupt other celebrations because we are offended that seems to take it a bit too far. But there's the rub. How do we all attend the same schools and feel like we can be ourselves without stepping on anyone else's feelings? How do we coexist when we are all sensitive?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It goes both ways.

There are just as many people offended by Halloween for it's "evil morals" as agnostic/atheists offended during Christmas and wanting it called "X-mas" or "Winter Holidays". Prayer in schools, God named on the dollar bill...the slope keeps getting steeper in both directions. :rolleyes:

Really it comes down to the holiday names. Most people want to throw parties, get drunk, and spoil the kids. We get stuck on the details because we are fussy and egotistical. I think it's due to the overall lack of spanking and a generation of parents telling us we could "Be anything we want to be".

/riding the entitlement pony! "Weee!"
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I celebrate Halloween, always have. I've grown up on a military base, gone to school there my whole life. We still say the pledge of allegiance, and we still celebrate Halloween. God Bless America.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it got too PC the day we received an email from our Division Chief "inviting" us to attend a course on "How to Laugh at Nothing", since laughter, while good, was normally at the expense of someone else.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

The Deacon wrote:For me, it got too PC the day we received an email from our Division Chief "inviting" us to attend a course on "How to Laugh at Nothing", since laughter, while good, was normally at the expense of someone else.
Sounds like brainwashing to me Paul. If something is truly hilarious, no one can resist :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Blerv wrote:It goes both ways.

There are just as many people offended by Halloween for it's "evil morals" as agnostic/atheists offended during Christmas and wanting it called "X-mas" or "Winter Holidays".
Actually "X" was used by the earliest Christians to represent the cross and X-mas has been a Christian designation although current use is more ambiguous.

A century ago protestant preachers railed against the evil Catholic holiday of Christmas and conservative Protestant mobs attacked Catholics at Christmas mass.

Jews elevated Hanukkah to a major holiday and introduced gift giving in the 50's because the lure of Christmas was so powerful.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

My old friend Tom Heinze told me a funny story about intolerance. He was in High School in the 60's in University City, which is close to Washington University in St. Louis. At that time University City was still mostly Jewish and Tom told me about the annual Christmas concert in which there was an undifferentiated sound in place of "Jesus" and "Christ" in the carols being sung. Growing up Jewish myself I can relate to their discomfort.

The funny part is that the Christmas program was cancelled his last year there because two Jehovah's Witnesses family moved into U City and sued the school. As you may know, the Witnesses oppose all holidays, both national and religious.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh very interesting Seq. Thanks :)

I went around wishing people "Happy Jesusmas" when working retail that day.

Second best thing since asking an agnostic coworker if she was celebrating Easter,

Her, "No of course not. I'm agnostic."
Me, "You don't believe in bunnies?"

The "Holidays" are really about celebrating and annoying people. If you can do both you win big.

Note: I don't set out to heckle people of all religious and non-religious backgrounds. I set out to heckle annoying people.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Blerv wrote: The "Holidays" are really about celebrating and annoying people. If you can do both you win big.
Now that is funny. This made me laugh, thanks for that.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jtoler_9 wrote:Now that is funny. This made me laugh, thanks for that.
Happy Holidays :D
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Easter is actually the name of a pagan English goddess of fertility, hence the eggs and bunnies. English is the only language for which the term for "Resurrection Sunday" is named after a goddess of a pagan religion and not for Passover. Check it out!

Halloween comes from All Hallows Eve, another pagan festival of the Celts who celebrated Samhain who would do terrible things to you if he could tell you were a living human.

It is against the first commandment to celebrate any pagan gods, ergo the anger.

I live in a college town, and PC is as far as it gets from here during Halloween. I'm always pleasantly surprised by what coeds can turn sexy for this holiday.

I'm going to wear a niqab with corn on it, and be Corn on niqab. I don't think that's PC, but it will get me a lot of attention from anything from sexy werewolves to sexy zombies and sexy nurses. Something supernatural blesses me this holiday, I just can't tell what exactly it is....
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dang those crazy ancient pagans. They definitely got a jump on us for holiday ideas.

So the Easter Bunny being a bipedal chocolate dispenser is to help prevent having to explain to children that bunnies procreate like...bunnies?

Can't go so far as to touch the Halloween origins. Pretty freaky though. I'm just glad that Passover has been PG rated because as a first-born male it would be a stressful time of the year.

Jim Gaffigan on Holiday Traditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAxRVeKnTE
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Blerv wrote:So the Easter Bunny being a bipedal chocolate dispenser is to help prevent having to explain to children that bunnies procreate like...bunnies?
I have heard that Chocolate is a female aphrodisiac. I smell a conspiracy theory.
raven

Post by raven »

...The Conspiracy smells like chocolate :p . Take Good Care and Have a Safe Halloween ;) .

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

festavis is the only real holiday :p
jakemex

Post by jakemex »

There isn't any forum where christianity isn't criticized... looks like it's time to move elsewhere. I suppose Spyderco is cool with this too. Don't blaspheme the sacred knife co. and follow the rules for a kind, feel good, don't offend anybody web site.
Endura 4 purple, Byrd Cara Cara2, Tenacious & Ambitious. Delivered 11-7-11 :cool: