Koch funded climate skeptics confirm global warming

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Spongebob Squarepants causes ADD, so says a multi million dollar "study". :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:But in all seriousness, good faith, good fellowship and good will, how do you know what can be controlled unless you try? Per ardua ad astra?
I agree on trying. Recycling, being a good steward with resources, etc. Far from apathetic.

My problem is when as Paul mentioned "educated" society has been painting people driving older vehicles as devils who are polluting the world when they drive brand new hybrids full of plastic and lithium cells. The logic often is hypocritical and tends to have an aura of false superiority.

Regarding funding, the government obviously has a budget for green tech. Yet (personally) I see that job market as highly volatile because it's probably the one things our budget will cut when necessity strikes. There is a balance between doing things better without going full-force into a market just for the sake of grant chasing.

Extremes in either direction are bad. :)
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

enduraguy wrote:Spongebob Squarepants causes ADD, so says a multi million dollar "study". :D
Time for me to start a realistic-sounding rumor to push my own agenda:

"Three out of three people will, at some point in their lifetime, experience death."

Now I just need to come up with some sort of agenda to push. Hmm . . . Could you guys help me out with that? Seems I came up with the fear-mongering campaign before the agenda to get people to think and act the way I want them to.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Dont forget to watch out for Manbearpig! Excelsior!

"Personally Im not concerned about global warming. Im not going to be around for it, and kids these days are rude." lol.

Kid: "Watch out OLD MAN"

....."Phh, enjoy the heat punk."

(not how I feel, just quoting stand up)
dialex

Post by dialex »

SolidState wrote:Highschool Chemistry teaches:

Hydrocarbon + Oxygen = CO2 + H2O

It's called combustion and is the primary source of energy for our society because we're dumb, lazy and scientifically illiterate as a society [...]
Skepticism is not equivalent to science. Science requires that you test things, and all the tests show that infrared radiation is converted into molecular motion by CO2.
Indeed.
However, there is no significant increase in the CO2 percentage in the Earth atmosphere (0.000002 in 2009, according to Wikipedia).
Thank God for the plants, they absorbe CO2 and release O2 instead.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Interestingly, there was a news story this morning on the U.S. Navy's concern that fossil fuels are a large security vulnerability for its operational stability and security.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I already posted my oppinions in an older thread about Global Warming:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
araneae

Post by araneae »

What if?
Attachments
whatif.jpg
whatif.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

LOL !

I wish some genius would create a fear campaign with that type of hidden agenda.

The one that actually exists is more along the lines of erroding individual freedoms for the "good of the planet."

Ooops! Bit too honest there. "Good of the globalized population."

That's better. Never point out that mankind lives on a huge planet capable of taking care of itself. It's "Global" this, and "Global" that. People can visualize a globe. Destroying that globe through global warming is easy for them to see in their minds. Don't call it Planetary Warming, then it becomes too difficult to visualize, and thus for the masses to believe is even possible.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

angusW

Post by angusW »

The US has Al Gore. Canada has David Suzuki. Just like Gore, Suzuki has multiple homes, thinks mercury filled bulbs are good for the earth and both don't know that plants synthesize CO2. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny seeing people fall for man made climate change or the IPCC saying the sun has no affect on the climate.

A PB&J sandwich sounds good about now :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

araneae wrote:What if?
What if they're just a bunch of buzz words, some no more achievable than perpetual motion, and others mutually exclusive. What if they ignore the fact that, within the next ten years, India and China will double and possibly triple the number of automobile owners worldwide. What if they ignore the reality that healthier children will consume more resources and live to create yet more consumers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

angusW wrote:. . .A PB&J sandwich sounds good about now :)
Ah yes, right alongside a tall glass of very cold, whole milk. :cool:
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Our grand kids are going to be so proud of how our society is dealing with these ideas now, you know, so their kids have it better.

It's not cars, it's consumption and population. We're simply a bacteria to the earth, and we're doing what any bacteria do. We eat the host until it is no longer hospitable, and then we die off.

Plants would take up CO2 if there were enough of them to. Plants don't grow well in carbonic acid. The atmosphere is only one place that CO2 goes. A great deal goes into the ocean and forms carbonic acid, and if we're lucky calcium carbonate.

CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3

Sadly, that takes coral from the reefs we've already killed to get rid of. More species have died off of this planet than currently live on it. That's not going to change. We're not going to do anything to curb any of our real problems. This discussion is proof of as much.

It sure is no match for PB&J.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've not tried to post up everytime some new headline makes it's rounds. The believers will still be believers. The non believers will be non believers despite what article is posted, or pasted. These represent a small part of them since the last thread. There are lots more.

I suggest we stay away from them

I would like to get Solidstates take on CERN and the way it's being run.

Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CERN
Lawrence Solomon: Science getting settled

(August 27, 2011) New, convincing evidence indicates global warming is caused by cosmic rays and the sun — not humans.

http://ep.probeinternational.org/2011/0 ... w-settled/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Resigns Over Global Warming

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/joseph%20m.%20lewanowicz/My%20Documents/threats%20and%20earth%20changes/Nobel%20Prize-Winning%20Physicist%20Resigns%20Over%20Global%20Warming%20_%20Fox%20News.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APNewsBreak: Arctic scientist under investigation

Poor Polar bears drowning :(

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/joseph%20m.%20lewanowicz/My%20Documents/threats%20and%20earth%20changes/apnewsbreak-arctic-scientist-under-investigation-082217993.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing Tides: Research Center Under Fire for 'Adjusted' Sea-Level Data

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/ ... z1bnStXhaq

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-ga ... 34971.html
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Seems to me that much of the underpinnings of the discussion may be seated in the world view that sees oneself and one's fellow man as bacterial equivalents.

In fact the inherent value, or lack thereof, of human life is the foundation for many "political" hot button topics. :(
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

tortoise wrote:
In fact the inherent value, or lack thereof, of human life is the foundation for many "political" hot button topics. :(
Human life is cheap. Those who can't be bothered with something as worthless as one human life will not even remotely care about individual freedoms. Good of the majority, or the perceived view of what is good for the majority, is all that matters to them.

araneae

Post by araneae »

The Deacon wrote:What if they're just a bunch of buzz words, some no more achievable than perpetual motion, and others mutually exclusive. What if they ignore the fact that, within the next ten years, India and China will double and possibly triple the number of automobile owners worldwide. What if they ignore the reality that healthier children will consume more resources and live to create yet more consumers.
I am willing to work towards them as I believe that it is my responsibility to the future generations to do so. Apathy is a dangerous thing.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Woke up today . . . Blanket of snow outside my window.

(Keep in mind, I don't live in Alaska.)

How can anyone with a working brain honestly believe in this Global Warming nonsense?

Even the ones pushing the agenda know they can't fool people most of the time anymore. That's why they now refer to it as "Climate Change." Under any name, it's still the same B.S.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Mastiff wrote:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/joseph%20m.%20lewanowicz/My%20Documents/threats%20and%20earth%20changes/Nobel%20Prize-Winning%20Physicist%20Resigns%20Over%20Global%20Warming%20_%20Fox%20News.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Polar bears drowning :(

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/joseph%20m.%20lewanowicz/My%20Documents/threats%20and%20earth%20changes/apnewsbreak-arctic-scientist-under-investigation-082217993.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the links above are from cached versions on Joe's hard drive, and therefore not accessible to us, here are the online links:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/ ... er-global/

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-arcti ... 17993.html
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In general politicians emit methane from both ends. This makes them a risk to our Eco system.

Sorry Al, it's true :( .