Ordered some Opinels : What do you think of them?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Ordered some Opinels : What do you think of them?

Post by Blerv »

I had to do it!

Seen the videos, read the reviews, just had to try them. ;)

Got a Bubinga Stainless # 6 for my Dad, a couple carbon steel paring knives for my brother. I picked a carbon steel # 6 for myself.

$51 and free shipping from opiknife.com. I'm rather excited, I know it's not a Spyderco but a carbon 3"ish blade weighing 1oz? Yes plz!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I think Opinels are good knives and good value for the money, maybe one of the best quality/cost ratio in the market. I guess you will enjoy them.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jakemex

Post by jakemex »

Kinda ugly but I guess they would slice nicely. To each his own! Enjoy them!
Endura 4 purple, Byrd Cara Cara2, Tenacious & Ambitious. Delivered 11-7-11 :cool:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I'm setting appropriate expectations. I see them as very classy looking folding Moras.

Post by 224477 »

Congrats on your picks. Have a bubinga nr.6 de luxe /polished stainless blade/ myself. Was a gift to me on Xmas long time ago, from my Dad.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Absolutely amazing slicers! Thin stock and very thin grinds, also both the carbon steel and the modified 12C27 they use for the stainless just take a crazy edge. :eek:
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

My knife of choice when I know I've got a a hard/mucky day ahead! The kind of knife I won't cry over if it gets lost/broken (haven't broken one yet despite some serious abuse!).

One of the few manufactured knives i know of with a full convex grind on thin stock = serious slicing ability. I recommend using the mousemat technique followed by a strop for scary sharpness :)
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I have a handful of Opies. I think you are going to enjoy them. Great slicers, fun to mod and can't beat the price. I hope you get some good patina on your carbon.
Enjoy
Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

avoidspam wrote:My knife of choice when I know I've got a a hard/mucky day ahead! The kind of knife I won't cry over if it gets lost/broken (haven't broken one yet despite some serious abuse!).

One of the few manufactured knives i know of with a full convex grind on thin stock = serious slicing ability. I recommend using the mousemat technique followed by a strop for scary sharpness :)
Thanks for the tip!

I got a Carbon # 6 myself. Really love it! Wish I could get a premium wood with the carbon but I'll prob get a # 9 next time. Can't argue for like $10. :p
araneae

Post by araneae »

I love them. Super light, super cheap, and great performing. If only they had a spydie hole and a clip. I have about 13 now I think. The number 6 and 8 are my favorites. I like the olive wood the best, but the slimline Bubinga is a real looker. I also recommend the jardin (garden) model spearpoint.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

this much, just bought this today, contemplated one for a long while.Image

That TINY bevel is 24 inclusive :eek: . Its soooo **** thin. And it took an outstanding edge, hair splitting and push cuts tp :o
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Excellent knives if you can raise the bevel just a bit, I got mine with almost zero bevel. It's a nice change in your EDC for once. Every once in a while I get an urge to carry something a bit more average compared to my usual higher end Spydies. I don't know why.