What are you listening to?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just heard an add this afternoon that Gordon Lightfoot is coming to town playing one night in the Auditorium. I’m on the fence , heard not long ago his performances have not been very good . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

A month ago I was watching a YouTube video of the Big Sandy Shoot, an event in Arizona where everyone brings their machine guns. I wasn't playing it all that loud, but somewhere in the middle was this hideous screeching noise that wouldn't stop. I was so annoying that I quit the video and went back to my regular jams, but the screeching continued. It turned out to be my subwoofer. I took it apart, only to discover that the foam support for the speaker cone had cracked. Shucks.

I suffered through highs and midrange for a while. Then last week, my wife told me she had a $25 voucher that was ready to expire, and asked if I needed anything. I didn't need anything. But... maybe speakers. It would be a shame to let $25 go to waste, even if it was only a fraction of the cost of new speakers. So we went down and saved $25 on some new speakers for my desktop computer.

This evening I got around to setting everything up. After that, I've been spending the evening reading about guns, knives, and bikes, while enjoying my music with the volume cranked to 11. Once again, life is good.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This past weekend I got to listen to an old album from a progressive band I loved from many years ago. The group known as "CURVED AIR" was a very unique group led by a lead singer named Sonja Kristina and ex Roxy Music genius musician Eddie Jobson.

This past weekend I played my one Curved Air album entitled "PHANTASMAGORIA" and really enjoyed it. I always wondered why this super talented band never really took off here in the USA??.

It always amazed me how several of those really cool European bands had such huge popularity throughout Europe but never really took off here in the USA for some strange reason. Curved Air and Roxy Music both were two bands I really enjoyed in spite of the fact that they had such a small following here in the USA.

I challenge all of you to check out the CURVED AIR album "PHANTASMAGORIA" on Youtube. Sonja Kristina was a super vocal talent back in the 70s/80s.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been around the block this morning with several bands but I've almost finished this album now. Definitely gets me ready for work.

https://youtu.be/CnVoUQ2q5bU
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:21 am
This past weekend I got to listen to an old album from a progressive band I loved from many years ago. The group known as "CURVED AIR" was a very unique group led by a lead singer named Sonja Kristina and ex Roxy Music genius musician Eddie Jobson.

This past weekend I played my one Curved Air album entitled "PHANTASMAGORIA" and really enjoyed it. I always wondered why this super talented band never really took off here in the USA??.

It always amazed me how several of those really cool European bands had such huge popularity throughout Europe but never really took off here in the USA for some strange reason. Curved Air and Roxy Music both were two bands I really enjoyed in spite of the fact that they had such a small following here in the USA.

I challenge all of you to check out the CURVED AIR album "PHANTASMAGORIA" on Youtube. Sonja Kristina was a super vocal talent back in the 70s/80s.
I’m a big fan of Roxy Music , I had all their albums and and still have some on CD . I also followed Eno .I remember Curved Air , been a while , will check out .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

I probably posted this a few years back, but I'm too lazy to scroll through this thread to make sure. No matter. This is my favorite one-hit wonder of all time. This song, along with several others, including Spirit in the Sky, Love the One You're With, Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes, Get Together, etc., remind me of summer 1970 or 1971, because they were blaring from the radio when my sister and her friends took me to the beach. I was 7 or 8, and they were in high school, and I went with them because I secretly had crushes on a couple of her friends. My first crushes that weren't TV actresses back then. LOL!

https://youtu.be/mjG9wK-Cn-o

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This brings me back to the late 90's, the last few years spent with my childhood friends, skateboarding together on my buddies concrete pad blasting this on the boom box!

https://youtu.be/u38TqU5rAyk
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:36 pm
This brings me back to the late 90's, the last few years spent with my childhood friends, skateboarding together on my buddies concrete pad blasting this on the boom box!

https://youtu.be/u38TqU5rAyk
Good tune Rick ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/e5uei2AFEaQ

Jim
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have very eclectic taste in music for an old guy.

https://youtu.be/sv29DzgiXZA
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

DrHE wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:32 pm
I have very eclectic taste in music for an old guy.

https://youtu.be/sv29DzgiXZA
Ha! Forgot about these guys, thanks for reminding me. Had a friend introduce me to The Hu during a depressing time and it helped me cope.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Like all great classics, this album is still relevant today. Been listening to the thrash “big four” a lot lately but keep coming back here. May all your nuclear bombs rust in peace.

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:17 pm
Like all great classics, this album is still relevant today. Been listening to the thrash “big four” a lot lately but keep coming back here.

Megadeth fan? Have you heard the new song where Dave Mustaine does vocals with John 5?

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Henry David Thoreau
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:39 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:17 pm
Like all great classics, this album is still relevant today. Been listening to the thrash “big four” a lot lately but keep coming back here.

Megadeth fan? Have you heard the new song where Dave Mustaine does vocals with John 5?

Reminds me of the Salvador Dali proposal to portray the galaxy’s emperor in Dune. He wanted to be paid $100,000 per word. I wonder, was that the deal with Dave?

I’m instantly interested in guitars and bass’ when watching music videos. To see a telecaster and precision bass featured in an act like this is kinda wild. Those instruments were first introduced in the 50’s! Just like knives, you gotta love the classics.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:46 pm
Reminds me of the Salvador Dali proposal to portray the galaxy’s emperor in Dune. He wanted to be paid $100,000 per word. I wonder, was that the deal with Dave?
I just figured that Dave has killed so many brain cells that those were the only lyrics he could remember.
Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:46 pm
I’m instantly interested in guitars and bass’ when watching music videos. To see a telecaster and precision bass
J5 plays a Telecaster because he learned about music as a kid by watching Hee Haw, where everyone played a Telecaster. When he plays his solo acts, there usually isn't a vocalist. His virtuosity on the six-string is the star of the show. One of my riding buddies is a talented bass man. I watch his Youtube videos, and it becomes evident that my brain can not function in a way that would allow me to be a musician.
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/IGLVMBTIAPE

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:54 am
https://youtu.be/IGLVMBTIAPE

Jim
James these guys when first came out were incredible live . I would rate them side by side with the Allman Brothers in concert . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/hBzd5GdsdOM

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:29 pm
https://youtu.be/hBzd5GdsdOM

Jim
Good one James . Rick Derringer has a nice version of this song on his solo album . Terrific song .Dan
Henry David Thoreau