What are you listening to?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by James Y »

David Gates of Bread had one of the most effortlessly soulful singing voices. I'd put him almost up there with Karen Carpenter. He's in his 80s now.

https://youtu.be/9IWxocGm21U

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:20 am
David Gates of Bread had one of the most effortlessly soulful singing voices. I'd put him almost up there with Karen Carpenter. He's in his 80s now.

https://youtu.be/9IWxocGm21U

Jim
I have the Bread Anthology it is a favorite of mine . Gates has a great voice and the band just clicks . Dan
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Mon May 23, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

A couple great ones by Bob James:

https://youtu.be/jx-3cta5Hgs

https://youtu.be/-gunr91dUe8

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageCarole King , what can I say ? American treasure . Such a gifted artist , saw her play in mid 70’s at Braden it was superb . During her encore she brought out her daughter to sing with her , it was very heart warming . Love the whole album . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:10 pm
ImageCarole King , what can I say ? American treasure . Such a gifted artist , saw her play in mid 70’s at Braden it was superb . During her encore she brought out her daughter to sing with her , it was very heart warming . Love the whole album . Dan

That is a great album, Dan.

I think my favorite Carole King song was Jazzman, from her album Wrap Around Joy a few years later (1974):

https://youtu.be/szcD2pAjd_8

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI highly recommend this album . No vocals just some awesome music to listen to when relaxing . This album was used as a test bed at audio shops because of the sound quality and range . The recording sets a standard . The whole album is available to listen to on Utube. Enjoy ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Even though I was mainly a hard rock, Heavy metal fan I still did like a few solo artists like Ms. Carole King, Joni Mitchel and Judy Collins. I also liked Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Ian Hunter just to name a few.

I sure played that Tapestry Album of hers a lot when I was down or depressed. The artists from that era ( male & female) were so far ahead of the artists you hear in this present time that it's not even comparable. I sure miss the 1970s & 80s and you could throw in the late 1960s as well. The talent that come forth from that era will probably never be surpassed or duplicated for that matter.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:42 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Even though I was mainly a hard rock, Heavy metal fan I still did like a few solo artists like Ms. Carole King, Joni Mitchel and Judy Collins. I also liked Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Ian Hunter just to name a few.

I sure played that Tapestry Album of hers a lot when I was down or depressed. The artists from that era ( male & female) were so far ahead of the artists you hear in this present time that it's not even comparable. I sure miss the 1970s & 80s and you could throw in the late 1960s as well. The talent that come forth from that era will probably never be surpassed or duplicated for that matter.
Checkout Leo Kottke , you will not be disappointed . Plays acoustic 6 and 12 string. I think you may like him . He began in that era you enjoy. Good stuff . Buddy, Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:42 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Joe,

My personal definition of the Golden Era of popular music was from 1964 to about 1990. There were a few pre-1964 songs I liked, and a few post-1990 songs I liked. But for the Golden Era, my preference is that 26-year period. Although personal tastes differ, it is a simple fact that there was never an era at any time where more talent, representing a more diverse range of musical styles, together at the same time, were at such a peak of creativity.

My musical tastes during that time were diverse, because the top radio stations in my area played all types of music on the same stations. So although I favored rock music, I didn't really care about being hardcore into one musical genre. If I liked a particular artist, band, or song, I liked it. Even if I didn't always admit it to other kids my age. As I got older, I didn't care if anyone knew everything I liked or not.

For example, back in the day, I recall people saying you have to hate The Eagles, Styx, Little River Band, The Bee Gees, 'bubblegum" songs, disco music, etc., etc. I liked songs from all of those bands and genres, and also soft rock, hard rock, funk/soul/Motown, folk, as well as some country songs. Ive never been much of a follower. Being "cool" doesn't matter to me, because that 26-year era was the high point for all of those. The only thing I distinguished was whether or not I liked a particular song or band, artist, etc., and not the genre. I loved the variety, especially during the '70s.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Well said my friend . Whatever gives you happy feet or warms your heart is what matters at the end of the day . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 pm
Well said my friend . Whatever gives you happy feet or warms your heart is what matters at the end of the day . Dan

Absolutely, Dan. Music is so diverse, there's something for everyone. All the more fulfilling if you can enjoy different types.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue May 24, 2022 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It takes several seconds for the song to get started.

Back in the '70s, Stevie Nicks was an attractive woman. She had an uncanny resemblance to one older girl in school I had a crush on, first in junior high (middle school), and later again in high school. The thing about Stevie Nicks herself, though, was that I loved her singing, but I could never get past her first name being a boy's name.

https://youtu.be/CEWCqo4HjUo

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:54 pm

Back in the '70s, Stevie Nicks was an attractive woman. She had an uncanny resemblance to one older girl in school I had a crush on, first in junior high (middle school), and later again in high school. The thing about Stevie Nicks herself, though, was that I loved her singing, but I could never get past her first name being a boy's name.

Jim
I saw the first tour after Buckingham and Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac , she stole the show dressed in her trademark flowing black dress . Funny you said that about her because my high school sweetheart looked like Joni Mitchell ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:54 pm
I’m not sure if you have ever listened to there album before joining Fleetwood Mac . Pretty tasty stuff ! Dan

Jim
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

May not be most people's preferred genre, but I'll always have a spot for the early-mid 2000-2010 metalcore scene. This song came across my mix while mulching yesterday and really brought up the energy.

Anybody that knows who Poison The Well is... these guys sound just like them. Made me check the playlist because I didn't think PTW was still making music, sure enough it wasn't them.

https://youtu.be/WvV86yIJ7Mk
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 am
May not be most people's preferred genre, but I'll always have a spot for the early-mid 2000-2010 metalcore scene. This song came across my mix while mulching yesterday and really brought up the energy.

Anybody that knows who Poison The Well is... these guys sound just like them. Made me check the playlist because I didn't think PTW was still making music, sure enough it wasn't them.

https://youtu.be/WvV86yIJ7Mk
I feel your mulch pain :winking-tongue ! I think I was listening to “ Hey I need more mulch what’s taking you so long “ great song ! :zany Dan
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All good with me!! I love working outside when I'm the only one home and not being "supervised" haha! Great weather so far this week too. Knocking down that hunny do list.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 am
All good with me!! I love working outside when I'm the only one home and not being "supervised" haha! Great weather so far this week too. Knocking down that hunny do list.
I hear what you are saying ! My wife is a landscaper by profession so she holds her own working with any guy . I do most outdoor chores before she gets home so she can relax a bit and enjoy the yard . We have crappy rainy weather next few days in forecast which messes up her side jobs . I’m preparing for the grumpy mode as I type . :winking-tongue Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/75r0nQu-hMs

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I don't even like Korn. But this little girl does such a great job that I had to listen a couple times.