What are you listening to?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tlo14290

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by tlo14290 »

At the moment, I'm listening to my mother-in-law play the piano. She is a very eclectic player, in the last half hour I've heard spooky Halloween music, and classical pieces by a couple of contemporary Japanese composers. She sight reads new material cleaner than most.

Very relaxing...
Rule #9

Post by Rule #9 »

For all you metal fans the new one from Scar Symmetry called The Singularity (Phase I - Neohumanity) is absolutely phenomenal! It's the first in a trilogy of albums and it's all about man creating artificial intelligence and how technology is taking over. It's actually based off of real research, studies and experiments. Definitely look up the lyrics it's mind blowing. The music in it is equally insane. This album has ruled my life for the last month.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just recently listened to this again... amazing stuff! All these are the days my friends and these are the days my friends...

:bug-red-white
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Some more Tommy!

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I'm pretty odd when it comes to music, yesterday it was Tchaikovsky and Beethoven.....and so far today its been Lindsey Stirling,Kid Rock,Vixen and Ozzy Osbourne.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Venom, Celtic Frost......next ether Bowie, Pixies or Radiohead.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

OldHoosier62 wrote:I'm pretty odd when it comes to music, yesterday it was Tchaikovsky and Beethoven.....and so far today its been Lindsey Stirling,Kid Rock,Vixen and Ozzy Osbourne.
I think I am pretty similar in regard of music. I like classical music as well, especially Beethoven. However mostly I listen to 60s and 70s Rock and Hardrock/Heavy metal. I am of the opinion that there is great music of almost every genre so I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. By the way there are a lot of people who like both classical and heavy metal. You may not believe it but in many regards they are similar. Deep Purple were the first who connected those kind of genres and in fact they have even performed with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I am in no way friends with Ozzy, but my buddy was his bodyguard when he was filming The Osbourns. I was over there hanging out, Ozzy was a bit high and Sharron made grilled cheese sandwiches for us. I ate mine and Ozzy was screwing around and asked if I wanted what he had left....He would not take no for an answer and started trying to hold me down and feed me....all while laughing his *** off. And those **** dogs they had were just barking like crazy. He kept saying, "Open your mouth little birdy and eat my sandwich."

It was odd.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Screwdriver wrote:I am in no way friends with Ozzy, but my buddy was his bodyguard when he was filming The Osbourns. I was over there hanging out, Ozzy was a bit high and Sharron made grilled cheese sandwiches for us. I ate mine and Ozzy was screwing around and asked if I wanted what he had left....He would not take no for an answer and started trying to hold me down and feed me....all while laughing his *** off. And those **** dogs they had were just barking like crazy. He kept saying, "Open your mouth little birdy and eat my sandwich."

It was odd.
HaHaHa...

Now that's funny, "little birdy". :D

Post by 1623 »

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Screwdriver wrote:I am in no way friends with Ozzy, but my buddy was his bodyguard when he was filming The Osbourns. I was over there hanging out, Ozzy was a bit high and Sharron made grilled cheese sandwiches for us. I ate mine and Ozzy was screwing around and asked if I wanted what he had left....He would not take no for an answer and started trying to hold me down and feed me....all while laughing his *** off. And those **** dogs they had were just barking like crazy. He kept saying, "Open your mouth little birdy and eat my sandwich."

It was odd.
I can totally picture this in Ozzy's voice too...just finished laughing my *** off lol.

Right now I'm listening to this and very seriously contemplating downloading their new album.

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

---> Branden
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

1623 wrote:

Can I ask you why you like this music? What genre is this actually? I have never understood why people like those "aggressive" kinds of music. Maybe you can tell me. When I listen to this music I feel kind of disturbed. :confused:

Post by 1623 »

Ignaz wrote:
1623 wrote:

Can I ask you why you like this music? What genre is this actually? I have never understood why people like those "aggressive" kinds of music. Maybe you can tell me. When I listen to this music I feel kind of disturbed. :confused:
Happy to discuss, my friend.

I listen to Hardcore for a multitude of reasons. Lyrically, it inspires me. Musically, it fires me up and as a drummer, it was a tremendously big part of my life for 8 years. I made many great friends and was introduced to a way of life that changed my life in an incredibly positive way. Hardcore gets tagged as angry, violent music because of throaty lyricists and aggressive riffs and while there were (and are) some segments that regretfully are violent, the majority of the bands and fans are structured around a positive vibe and are passionate about what they do. Clean living, self reliance, integrity, looking out for one another...all basis for much of the music.

I listen to many different genres of music. I can jump from Strife, right over to Steely Dan, then to Bach and in my eyes, having so much to discover is the greatest gift that music can give.

Try this one and read the lyrics as you listen, I'd like to know what you think.

Caboose
do you know yourself
do you know the others
can you pull the weight that rides on another's shoulders
once you've lost yourself to the acceptance mask
well could you find yourself
it's not a simple task
self-inherence
freedom
comes from within
take a different track
it's time to see what you are made of
can you expose yourself
can you peel off another layer
will you make the time
the time to control
because only you can save yourself
only you can save your soul
and once you save yourself
insecurities will die
genuine qualities
and true character will shine
now that you belong to you
what will the others think
well, soon they'll follow you
you'll see they're all so weak
come on
can you, let go
can you, be you
-Jodi

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

---> Branden
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

1623 wrote: Happy to discuss, my friend.

I listen to Hardcore for a multitude of reasons. Lyrically, it inspires me. Musically, it fires me up and as a drummer, it was a tremendously big part of my life for 8 years. I made many great friends and was introduced to a way of life that changed my life in an incredibly positive way. Hardcore gets tagged as angry, violent music because of throaty lyricists and aggressive riffs and while there were (and are) some segments that regretfully are violent, the majority of the bands and fans are structured around a positive vibe and are passionate about what they do. Clean living, self reliance, integrity, looking out for one another...all basis for much of the music.
Thank you for the discussion. I am always glad to learn about music I am not familiar with. To me it seems like this kind of music is misunderstood by most people. Just like Metal and it's many subgenres for example. Early heavy metal music was often criticized for being nothing more than loud and strange rock music. Many albums which have been rated negatively by critics in the 70s are today praised for their creativity and innovations. But on the other hand there are just like you mentioned bands or even whole subgenres of music which is actually really aggressive, violent or sometimes even politically incorrect.
1623 wrote:I listen to many different genres of music. ... having so much to discover is the greatest gift that music can give.
Well said. The diversity of music is what makes it really interesting.
1623 wrote:Try this one and read the lyrics as you listen, I'd like to know what you think.

Caboose
do you know yourself
do you know the others
can you pull the weight that rides on another's shoulders
once you've lost yourself to the acceptance mask
well could you find yourself
it's not a simple task
self-inherence
freedom
comes from within
take a different track
it's time to see what you are made of
can you expose yourself
can you peel off another layer
will you make the time
the time to control
because only you can save yourself
only you can save your soul
and once you save yourself
insecurities will die
genuine qualities
and true character will shine
come on
can you, let go
can you, be you
I am still not a fan of hardcore punk but accept people who are. You simply cannot like everything. What I don't like about it for instance is the vocalist screaming and shouting.
I think the lyrics are about changing your life in a good way just like what you said the music did to you. But some parts appear kind of strange to me. For example:

Post by 1623 »

Any time. I enjoy new music as well and always try to take it in with an open mind.

You're comment about Metal sums it all up: Often, the passage of time turns a once frowned upon media into one that is praised for its originality and brilliance, much like paintings and other art forms.

With regard to the last verse in Caboose, what it says to me is this: You've disengaged from a group because you're thinking for yourself. First, the group second guesses you, then they follow you, rather than sticking to what they do. It interprets an endless cycle as to why people feel the need to be part of something, even if they truly don't agree with it. As far as vocals, sometimes a powerful message needs a powerful delivery or the energy can be lost.

This discussion seems like an appropriate place to share one of my favorite quotes with you.

"To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings
-Jodi

Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

1623 wrote: This discussion seems like an appropriate place to share one of my favorite quotes with you.

"To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings
This quote is indeed adequate. It basically sums up the song.