I'm Depressed

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

I'm Depressed

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Personally, I'M DEPRESSED!!

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called a Suicide Hotline. I had to press 1 for English. I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck ...... Folks, we're screwed!
Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hehehehehe nice one doc. :D
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dr Snubnose, I noticed your icon pic shows a revolver. Do you edc a light frame revolver? Is it .38 special? What cartridges do you carry? Sorry to change subject, but I remember you being very knowledgeable on firearms and knives. I carried 200 gr lead bullets that my Dad gave me. Those are gone now and I use 158 jhp for protection.
:spyder:
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Ha! Drive a truck...priceless.

Jeff
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

LOL, very good, Doc.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Karen wrote:Dr Snubnose, I noticed your icon pic shows a revolver. Do you edc a light frame revolver? Is it .38 special? What cartridges do you carry? Sorry to change subject, but I remember you being very knowledgeable on firearms and knives. I carried 200 gr lead bullets that my Dad gave me. Those are gone now and I use 158 jhp for protection.
Hi Karen, The revolver in my icon is a Smith and Wesson 340PD in .357magnum. I carry 145 grain Winchester Silvertips in it. It's a light weight beast with lots of recoil cause it weighs like 10oz. It has a scandium frame and titanium cylinder. Normally I carry twin Ruger Sp101s in .357 mag with the same silvertip rounds. If you are carrying a .38 special then the 158 grain JHP is fine and a time tested round for the snubbie. ...Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

GOD help us

Post by JD Spydo »

The sad thing about Doc's monologue is that there is a ton of truth in it :(

Where I'm living in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth the people who are sucking the Welfare system and/or getting food stamp are in most cases doing quite a bit better than those who are trying hard to work and make something positive out of their lives :(

Virtually Everyone here in Northeast KC is on some type of government giveaway program :( .. And I'm not at all trying to be self righteous about it or condemn those involved because in many cases these people have little or no choice in the matter :(

But GOD almighty help us if and when they do chop off the government goodies because we will have total mayhem and anarchy throughout this once great land of ours. We've bought the media lies, Government lies and politician's lies way too long and now the chickens are here to roost :( Yeah GOD help us :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Personally, I'M DEPRESSED!!

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called a Suicide Hotline. I had to press 1 for English. I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck ...... Folks, we're screwed!
Doc :)
PDF Doc.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can drive a truck.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

An oldie with a last paragraph I hadn't seen before.

The Welfare outrage is overblown, IMO. I've worked since I was 14. I've never collected Welfare, food stamps, unemployment, etc. Until I had a brain tumor and radiation treatments. Now I'm on Social Security Disability which essentially gives me the Social Security I would have received if I had turned 65 instead of becoming disabled. I was lucky in that I maxed out my SS withholding for years and that gives me the maximum benefit of $24,000 a year. I'm grateful for that. The last year I worked as a CFO I made $305,000 so, relatively speaking, it was a long way down.

My sister-in-law was on welfare while her sons were in high school after a very ugly divorce.(an all too common scenario) Welfare enabled them to finish school while both were working part time. They worked their way through college and Chris is a Chemical Engineer and Michael won an international award for designing a more efficient photo-voltaic cell. They have 6 college degrees between them and it might not have happened without 4 years of welfare to keep them in school and their family together. My sister-law also eventually went back to college and also received a post graduate degree.

My point is that everyone has a different story. Some are genuinely helped and some just try to milk the system. I dislike the contempt and hatred heaped on those who are in need of a safety net. I think it's a cheap shot.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Things like hearing about water problems, the glaciers melting and possibly flooding countries, the possible of no gas, the price of food going up.... it really scares me.

Seems like the world is screwed, and when we are all dead they'll think we lived like Kings.

Appreciate what you have. Do not EVER think about suicide. :)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Ahahahaha! Good one Doc!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Sequimite wrote: My point is that everyone has a different story. Some are genuinely helped and some just try to milk the system. I dislike the contempt and hatred heaped on those who are in need of a safety net. I think it's a cheap shot.
I think welfare is a lot like guns. You can point to people whose lives have been saved by them... and then look across the room at someone's life that wasn't so saved by the same gun.

Often, you can look at the one who wasn't helped by the gun and blame him for his role in the gun play and in society, which may well be at the bottom of the bottom or the top of the top. I'm guessing most are somewhere in the gray.

Lets say that a man who is helped by a gun is leading a good life, but simply had use the gun, and kill someone, to survive. I don't think people would generally blame that person for having to use a gun and kill someone to save himself, his friends, his family or his country. I also don't think people would or should take the killing of someone lightly.

I really don't think I'd find a soul on this board who would argue that we should get rid of guns because low-lives can milk society for money through armed robbery of the public. Thieves who rob randoms at gunpoint are caught in a vicious cycle of self-destruction and bottom-of-the-barrell-b.s. In many countries, the armed persons who do this kind of behavior are even soldiers.

In the USA, you don't generally see steadily employed, married fathers of two robbing vacationers at gunpoint, but sometimes you see them shooting assailants.

Ask a cop, the people you see out robbing are starving people, people who have big problems, drug problems, money problems, immediate debt problems, mental health problems, educational issues and sometimes even people who are either going to rob someone and eat that night or use the same gun to shoot themselves and whomever else they have bullets for. You see some people who truly have lost the will to live with the dignity of a proper human being.

The bottom is rough, cold and ugly. I would prefer some sort of a pad on the bottom. I mean, this was the first world. We should at least have some sort of a rug under society's table to pretend like we're civilized, or just give up the charade completely and bow to inherent stratification by birth right and bad luck. Nothing screws people in the third world like birth-right and bad luck. Welfare and public education are the first-world's method of battling a birth-right of bad luck.

We all know the most effective thieves don't use guns or welfare to rob the public anyway. The most effective thieves use the IDEAS of guns and welfare to get you to hand over your money to the person who will save one at the cost of the other. We live in America, I don't see why it has to be implied that you have to choose between the two. Who took the other choices away, and why didn't I see their guns or their food stamps?

I can only watch the Globetrotters battle the Washington Generals so many times.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Do not EVER think about suicide.
Correct 100% :D
And ME -- I NEVER think about Suicide.

Now , about HOMICIDE --- that I think about EVERY DAY I DRIVE SOMEWHERE :eek:

Hey Doc --- do they check on your driveing record for that job driving them trucks ??? :p
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

SolidState wrote:We all know the most effective thieves don't use guns or welfare to rob the public anyway. The most effective thieves use the IDEAS of guns and welfare to get you to hand over your money to the person who will save one at the cost of the other.
Amen, Hallelujah & HOOOOOOZAAAAAHHHHH!

Not to stray from the joke thread, but yeah.....it sickens me too about the obvious yet masterful distraction perpetrated on the Middle Class of railing against the smallest drains of resources and wealth while being oblivious to the outright attack to destroy them.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I need the number of that truck driving school. :)

Jack
redyps04

Doc

Post by redyps04 »

I think you just might have set the record for number of forum rules broken in a single thread! Nice.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Great thread Doc!