any springfield xd sc-9mm owners here

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knife nut404

any springfield xd sc-9mm owners here

Post by knife nut404 »

just wondering?
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
BAL

Post by BAL »

Not I, just thought I would respond since no one else had. I am more of a Glock-SW-Berretta fan. THe XD looks like a quality piece, I just haven't picked one up yet.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

I have the 4" model (service size). A close friend of mine has the SC version. A nice and accurate little gun, though I prefer a Glock 19 as a compact pistol.

If I were to go for something as small as the XD-sc, I'd get it upgraded with an RMR reflex sight from TSD. I've got one of their G19 RMR upgrades and it helped me improve both first shot speed and long range accuracy.

Here's the RMR upgrade vs. standard G19

Main reason I'd get the RMR on the XD sub-compact would be to compensate for the short sight radius on this version.
Edited to add: The XD has a much smaller grip than the Glock - a big plus if you have smaller hands.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

...OK found a pic of an RMR mounted on a full-size XD....Image
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Those sight are cool but I don't know why you would put one on any SC. Compact maybe but for CCW I would stick to iron sights.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

With all due respect, especially for CCW I would put an RMR on the gun.

The reasons I'm saying this are:
- The RMR adds virtually no bulk, yet
- it improves the accuracy, since the dot does not obscure as much of your target as the irons do, and is not limited by the length of the slide
- it enhances close distance shots: the frame of the RMR becomes the aimining reference for fast shots at close distance
- It does not require brining the focus back to the front sight.

If all I can conceal is a small gun, I want it to be as efficient as possible.

Can the RMR go down? Absolutely, as any optical/electronic device can. That's why I had the backup sight installed as a fallback option.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

It just looks like it adds an inch or more to the gun height. Ok for people that wear oversized clothes to cover such a thing. I just don't think it will fit well in my pocket :)

As I said before, I think its cool aight. I have something like that on my compound bow and it works great in low light and is easy to pickup for faster shots
but the day it stops working when I'm drawn back on a 150+ buck, its coming off ;-)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

G-Solutions wrote:With all due respect, especially for CCW I would put an RMR on the gun.

The reasons I'm saying this are:
- The RMR adds virtually no bulk, yet
- it improves the accuracy, since the dot does not obscure as much of your target as the irons do, and is not limited by the length of the slide
- it enhances close distance shots: the frame of the RMR becomes the aimining reference for fast shots at close distance
- It does not require brining the focus back to the front sight.

If all I can conceal is a small gun, I want it to be as efficient as possible.

Can the RMR go down? Absolutely, as any optical/electronic device can. That's why I had the backup sight installed as a fallback option.
Since you're in Commiefornia, do you have a carry liscence? I have friends that swear its near impossible for anyone to get a ccw.

If you carry that thing with the reflex on it, Im pretty sure you will change your mind. It absolutely does ad bulk, and would print like wild. + many of the concealment holsters would not work with it mounted. You would also have to have it on at all times for it to be of any use in a surprise encounter, which would cost a **** load in batteries. Trust me, Ive carried for years, every single day. That is not a good system for ccw, that thing is for unlimited class race guns. They dont even let you use them for IDPA.

I just think its a really ridiculous idea, but hey, to each his own right?
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

DCDesigns wrote:Since your in Commiefornia, do you have a carry liscence? I have friends that swear its near impossible for anyone to get a ccw.
Depends on the county... Kern County accepts "personal protection" as 'Good Cause', while a lot of others don't. Sacramento County has changed their CCW policy following legal action from Calguns.net and is now a pro-CCW county.
Orange County used to be CCW friendly until our previous Sheriff had to step down due to various charges and was replaced by a County BoS appointed Sheriff who originates from Los Angeles - She had nothing better to do than to review all CCW's issued by her predecessor with the intend to revoke as many of them as possible. Resistance from the public curbed that somewhat but not entirely. I used to have a CCW until then and carried every day.

DCDesigns wrote:If you carry that thing with the reflex on it, Im pretty sure you will change your mind. It absolutely does ad bulk, and would print like wild.
Nope - neither. I carry A-IWB (appendix - inside the waistband) and there's virtually no difference.

DCDesigns wrote: + many of the concealment holsters would not work with it mounted.
True for some of them, however my strongside holsters work due to the low cut and I use a Zack where this is a non-issue.
DCDesigns wrote: You would also have to have it on at all times for it to be of any use in a surprise encounter, which would cost a **** load in batteries.

The RMR is on all the time with a nominal battery life of 6 months.... no problem here.
DCDesigns wrote:Trust me, Ive carried for years, every single day. That is not a good system for ccw, that thing is for unlimited class race guns. They dont even let you use them for IDPA.
I've carried 24/7 until the unfortunate developments with our Sheriff - and would have preferred a weapon like this.
As far as IDPA goes, I could care less. They do not allow shooting on the move, which is what I train and teach.
DCDesigns wrote:I just think its a really ridiculous idea, but hey, to each his own right?
I'd recommend for you to try one and then make your judgment. First time I shot one Gabe Suarez handed me his G17 RMR and pointed to a steel Silhoutte 100 meters away with the invitation to hit it. I had a hard time doing it with a standard Glock - with the RMR it was easy!

In all fairness to the OP - let's start a new thread if you want to take this discussion further...
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

G-Solutions wrote:
In all fairness to the OP - let's start a new thread if you want to take this discussion further...
No thanks, Ive already told you how I feel as a matter of opinion. if you have a problem with that I cant help you.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

I am not on a mission to convince anyone. However, post #8 listed several perceptions that should be answered to provide the better picture of the capabilities of the RMR system.

The thread began with a question about the XD subcompact. All of us discussing the RMR upgrade were pulling this thread off topic - I want to get it back on track since my post sparked the bunny trail.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

BAL

Post by BAL »

G-Solutions wrote:I have the 4" model (service size). A close friend of mine has the SC version. A nice and accurate little gun, though I prefer a Glock 19 as a compact pistol.

If I were to go for something as small as the XD-sc, I'd get it upgraded with an RMR reflex sight from TSD. I've got one of their G19 RMR upgrades and it helped me improve both first shot speed and long range accuracy.

Here's the RMR upgrade vs. standard G19

Main reason I'd get the RMR on the XD sub-compact would be to compensate for the short sight radius on this version.
Edited to add: The XD has a much smaller grip than the Glock - a big plus if you have smaller hands.
Hey G-Solutions, love the G19 wiith the MRM. I have a G26 and G19, with a G21SF on my wishlist. I see that you need a new or modified slide to mount the sight on. I will look into this more, but it looks like its around $265 to get your existing slide modified. Have you used any other sights such as Eotech, Trijicon, Aimpoint etc. I need to do some more research on different mounting systems/sights. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

BAL,

there are other sight systems such as the Leupold Deltapoint or the Burris Fastfire. Some of them are available with dovetail mounts that will fit the original rear sight slot. Problem with that approach is that it does not allow for backup iron sights.

If the slide is machined out, the red dot system sits low enough to co-witness sights that are taller and intended for suppressor use.
I know that there are various options for machining out there. TSD matches the curve that all those red dots seem to have at the front of their frame. All the others I know of only cut a square...
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks G-Solutions, I like the idea of having the iron sights as a backup for sure. Just another thing on my wish list. No. 1, I wish I had more money.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I don't have a 9mm SC XD, but I do have the original full-sized XD in .40, and the .40 SC. I love them both, but I do like the full-sized one just a bit more.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

gac

Post by gac »

Quality red dot sights for rifles are astonishingly durable. If the pistol sights are of the same quality I would not hesitate to use one. Battery life, too, has been greatly extended. You can leave the thing on 24 hours. Just change the battery on a regular schedule.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

gac wrote:Quality red dot sights for rifles are astonishingly durable. If the pistol sights are of the same quality I would not hesitate to use one. Battery life, too, has been greatly extended. You can leave the thing on 24 hours. Just change the battery on a regular schedule.
Figure that the RMR is designed to be mounted on a flat-top AR and rugged enough survive a fall from shoulder height onto a hard surface with the RMR hitting the Deck first ;)
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com