Custom Knives, do you have one, what is your favorite?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jtoler_9

Custom Knives, do you have one, what is your favorite?

Post by jtoler_9 »

I was reading a thread about the Tuff and I am one who is very excited about trying out 3V steel. A person posting on that thread mentioned that they were looking at purchasing a customer knife with 3V. So I thought it might be fun to learn from the group about different custom knives and manufacturers of these custom blades. If anyone has a favorite custom knife maker I would love to check out their work.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ken Coats (kc custom on Bladeforums) was the sole author on these two. He does it all himself, including cryo treating the blades and jigging and dying the bone.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I own and have owned a lot of custom knives. I have sold most of them due to financial concerns.

My favorite knife and hard to decide. I had a Carson M4 Medium with 440V blade that was one of my favorites. I also treasured my Terzuolas. I have had several Onions, Manaros, and many others that I really liked.

My favorite carry knife is my small Mayo flat scale TNT with Talonite blade. I used it for EDC for about two years and it was pretty thrashed. I recently sent it back to Tom for a refurb and it looks new now. I am having a difficult time carrying it, though, since it looks new.

But, my overall favorite is my Gerry Hurst Nitro with damascus blade, mammoth ivory scales and damascus bolsters. I ordered it from him after meeting him at the AZ Custom Knife Collectors show in Mesa. I really liked the guy. It was my first custom ordered knife. He asked me what I wanted and I told him what I liked and let him run with it. He passed away unexpectedly at a young age right after I received it. A real loss to the knife industry.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I see you are from Colorado. Did you notice the Professional Knifemakers Association's annual show is going on this weekend in Denver. Lots of custom knifemakers there for sure. I plan on being there when the doors open at 0900 on Saturday.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I own quite a few custom knives....probably over 100....There are a great many custom makers out there whose work I own and love, that said...it really depends on what you want in a custom knife. Many things to consider, Folder or Fixed Blade? Price range?, Intended use, For Carry and Use EDC or Art for Collecting? Which steel, blade shape and handle material? Your own design or theirs?...What style of custom knife do you want? Fighter or Utility, For the Woods, Hunting, Hiking, Boating, EMT and Rescue, Military..the list goes on and on. I could recommend lots of great custom makers, based only on what you are really looking for. Some makers built strong like a bull folders for the heaviest of work and others make slip-joints for the pocket with exotic woods and jewels, and others specialized in designing knives for those individuals who often find themselves in harms way and need a solid knife for self defense, so it's hard to direct you to someone without knowing exactly what you want....If you are just looking then there are lots of custom makers with web-sites and lots of places where you can buy ones already made through custom selling outlets right here on the web. The Knife shows are fun and interesting, plus you get to talk with the maker themselves....Doc :D :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Since you mentioned 3V, I had a Tom Krein TK2 in that steel. He makes great quality knives. I think there are probably still some pictures of it around in a thread I made here when I got if you feel like searching.
~ Nate
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

don't have it (yet) but i like the fitzen frankenstein. greeetzzzzz
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Two favorite fixed blades which serve different functions are

1) Koster 3V bushcrafter type. Heavy duty but still thin enough to cut very well rather than being a crow bar.

2) Phil Wilson Field grade hunter/skinner in S110V at rc 63.5 appx. It is what it is and it's the best in it's class IMO. All performance! It looks sort of plain. Like a sleeper. The racing engine stuffed into a family car that has the weight reduced and is professionally fixed but no one can tell.

Folders:

1) Buck custon shop 110 in BG42. with All the nice stuff I had made back when they still carried BG42 as an option. It's pretty as well as sharp as can be. I still love BG42 and consider it a classic.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

yablanowitz wrote:Ken Coats (kc custom on Bladeforums) was the sole author on these two. He does it all himself, including cryo treating the blades and jigging and dying the bone.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Where can I get a cloth like the one you have under the knives? :D

Seriously, that's some nice work. I've wanted a custom knife for as long as I've been "into" knives. About 5 - 6 years now. That way it seems you shop for the right person who works with the materials and designs you want. That way you could get the blade steel, handle material, lock type (folders), size, etc. that you want. I don't have ANY problems with getting a custom knife. I do however have money problems. :( All my "getting stuff" problems (and there are many) could be solved by eliminating the one "money" problem. :D

Custom knives require the time of the maker to go into only one knife. So the price will be based on his time plus parts, not to mention the amount of experience he/she has. A valued name maker can charge more and you may have to wait for a year or more to get your knife.

A custom knife is one of those dreams I have that may never come to be. I'd be a lucky man if that was my "worst problem". For the moment, I'm pretty content. But, my wife is still asleep and could wake up any time. :eek: :D

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

yablanowitz wrote:Ken Coats (kc custom on Bladeforums) was the sole author on these two. He does it all himself, including cryo treating the blades and jigging and dying the bone.

Resized pictures. I learned to do this to make it easier to read the text. Do you like it? I don't mean to tell you how to do anything.
[ATTACH]17318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17319[/ATTACH]

Jack
Attachments
DSCF1050.jpg
DSCF1050.jpg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
DSCF1049.jpg
DSCF1049.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A. T. Barr left handed One Eyed Jack custom made for me. Stablized ivory scales over red fiber spacers, titanium bolsters and fileworked titanium liners and backstrap. Blade is Devin Thomas Raindrop stainless damascus.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:A. T. Barr left handed One Eyed Jack custom made for me. Stablized ivory scales over red fiber spacers, titanium bolsters and fileworked titanium liners and backstrap. Blade is Devin Thomas Raindrop stainless damascus.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Wow!

I'll say it again, WOW!

I'll say it backwards, WOW!

Truely looks like great work. I'm going to save those pictures with the guys name.

Jack
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Another plug for Mr. Ken Coats. I just got this one about a week ago from Ken. 3 5/8 inch Ez-Open. ATS-34 blade steel. Ace Of Spades shield on both sides.

This is Ken's pic with a few of my own pics below it.

Rick T.
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Here's a prototype Sowbelly Trapper by Rick Menefee. My pics are horrible but this is a great knife. 154CM blade steel. Green Canvas Micarta scales.

Rick T.
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

This little gem by Bill Kennedy Jr. is one of my EDC's. 2 3/4 inches closed. ATS-34 blade steel with a 440C backspring. A fine little companion.

Rick T.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

these are a few of mine
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I don't have it just yet, but I have a KFU Mini Nessmuk on the way. If you would consider that a custom.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

As our own Doc. S. said --- there are so many many custom makers and they make 1000's if not 10's of 1000's of knife "styles.

Two of my most recent customs are by;

Ralph Turnbull -- 5" balisong with bre-ban Ivory handles -- PURE CLASS !!!

A "ForgedInTime" 13" blade Smatchet custom made by Ben.
Shown next to a BM42 for size.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

My three customs are by Pete Pryun who was invited to the Denver show:

Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897