"Tactical" SAK?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
No Panama!

"Tactical" SAK?

Post by No Panama! »

I've noticed that some of the newer Victorinox knives released in the last few years feature one-hand deployable blades with a Spyder-esque opening hole and a liner lock. I know any sharp pointy metal object can be used to harm someone, but some designs are definetly much more suitable/efficient than others. It is very unlikely that these new one-handed locking SAKs were designed with combat in mind, but I'm curious how they would compare to other "tactical" knives on the market. I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything, I'm just trying to think outside the box, and I think carrying a Swiss Army knife for defensive use is kind of out there, but in this case it could theoretically be possible. Again, I know any sharp pointy metal object can be used to harm someone, but some designs are definetly much more suitable/efficient than others, and I wonder if these models could compare.
Your thoughts?
No Panama!

Post by No Panama! »

One advantage I think it would have would be legality... you are less likely to have a SAK confiscated than something more menacing looking, and "Well officer, he attacked me so I had no choice but to defend myself with my Swiss Army Knife." makes you sound less like a knife-weilding psycho killer...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No Panama! wrote:One advantage I think it would have would be legality... you are less likely to have a SAK confiscated than something more menacing looking, and "Well officer, he attacked me so I had no choice but to defend myself with my Swiss Army Knife." makes you sound less like a knife-weilding psycho killer...
Depends on what your "Swiss Army Knife" looks like. If it looks like this, you'd probably be in no less trouble than with any other 3.5" bladed one hand opening locking folder.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Big disadvantage for "SD" would be the lock. It works, but the tolerances are such that there's quite a bit of vertical play. It goes all the way over, so it may never fail totally, but it might allow the blade to fold enough not to penetrate.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think less tactical and more safe one hand opening.

Frankly the thumb slit for me never worked well. I think a stud would work far better for SAK though. It requires less of a blade "hump" to accommodate the hole. Oh...and it screams Spyderco whether they want to or not.
No Panama!

Post by No Panama! »

Victorinox typically has tight tolerances and quality construction, I am rather surprised and disappointed that they would release a product with that much play. I suppose though that someone who is used to their slip joints and wants something that locks open instead wouldn't be too picky.
No Panama!

Post by No Panama! »

I don't think they could put a thumb stud on a Swiss Army Knife... it could block the other tools, making it required to open the knife before selecting another tool.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I'm sure they could, but not at the price they go for. The most popular model in that size is OHT and you pay $40 for blade, wood saw, can/bottle openers and quite a few other bits and pieces all made in Switzerland.

They aren't designed to be tactical folders, and the lock is plenty safe for me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it goes against the idea of what a SAK is designed and used for, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did something more tactical. Some things from the tactical world are bound to trickle down into urban type knives simply because they work well for EDC...like thumb studs/holes/assisted opening blades. Even Leatherman has gone that route with their multi tools, and SOG even has assisted opening blades on some of their models. I had a Leatherman Wave and i really liked how they put the blade on the thumb side and gave it a slot in the blade...i was even coming off of years carrying a Native, and it felt like second nature opening the blade. I'm sure even campers and Boy Scouts can appreciate little things like that, not just mall ninjas ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No Panama! wrote:I don't think they could put a thumb stud on a Swiss Army Knife... it could block the other tools, making it required to open the knife before selecting another tool.
Lol. Good point. Maybe one-sided stud? :)
Azad

Post by Azad »

Blerv wrote:Lol. Good point. Maybe one-sided stud? :)
Think of us lefties bro...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Azad wrote:Think of us lefties bro...
Ok ok. So SAK has a justifiable reason to rip off Spyderco's innovation.

Personally, I'd just buy the one that looks good with the opening hole. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Azad wrote:Think of us lefties bro...
It really wouldn't matter on a SAK because the blade is going to have other tools on the lefty side. It would be impossible to make ambidextrous even with a hole instead of a stud.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

Evidence showed that whoever killed OJ Simpson's wife was using what appeared to be a serrated Victorinox OHT...That doesn't answer the question, but kind of adds a gulping noise.
Azad

Post by Azad »

Actually that's the major bugbear I have with all multi-tools... None of them have knives that are truly ambidextrous. I wish they could put the knife in the middle of the stack and put a dual thumbstud or a hole on it. Preferably a hole of course.
Anon.Alpha

Post by Anon.Alpha »

No Panama! wrote:...but I'm curious how they would compare to other "tactical" knives on the market.
I think it's like comparing machetes and katana. You can fight with a machete, but wouldn't you rather have a katana? A SAK and a "tactical" knife are designed for different tasks in mind.
No Panama! wrote:...I'm just trying to think outside the box, and I think carrying a Swiss Army knife for defensive use is kind of out there, but in this case it could theoretically be possible.
I worked at a place for a while that wouldn't allow me to carry a knife but they would let me carry a multi-tool. I went out and purchased a Leatherman Charge Ti. It has both a (optional) pocket clip and a Spydi-esque thumb hole. I carried it clipped in my right front pocket and it became about as natural to grab and open it as it was/is to open my Mili (my usual EDC). In a pinch I think I would have been able to use it as a defensive tool.
No Panama! wrote:...I know any sharp pointy metal object can be used to harm someone, but some designs are definetly much more suitable/efficient than others, and I wonder if these models could compare.
Your thoughts?
To paraphrase Rumsfeld, "You fight with the knife you have, not with he knife you wish you had".
"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." ~William Shakespeare

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." ~Mark Twain
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

In wartime the Swiss are always neutral..That should tell you something...Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*