Knife lubes/oils???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jcob.T

Knife lubes/oils???

Post by Jcob.T »

Hello everyone, I've never been real fond of knife oils, and I've always been scared to use oil on my knives because some oils say they will deteriorate certain metals or plastics... so I want to know what are you guys' favorite oils/lubes and which ones work best on knives. Thanks.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There are dozens and you will get a lot of replies here. For anything that will be in contact with food, go with mineral oil. For non food knives, take your pick and see what you think. Some like dry lubes, some wet...some like certain brands, others like others. I usually use 3 in 1...but that is because that is what the store had when I went. Tuf-Glide is another popular one. But there are at least a dozen to choose from...
On the hunt for...

Post by 1623 »

I picked up a Tuf Cloth and a bottle of Tuf Glide when I purchased my Sage 1.

Very nice products and Sentry is located in my home state, so I'm happy to support.

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

Been using Break Free CLP for years on guns and knives with no problems.
Jcob.T

Post by Jcob.T »

Thanks, Tuf glide sounds good i just dont want an oil to damage my knives...
Jcob.T

Post by Jcob.T »

If i did use my knife for food would vegetable oil or olive oil work?
rycen

Post by rycen »

Use mineral oil as it won't go bad and it is food safe.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Jcob.T wrote:If i did use my knife for food would vegetable oil or olive oil work?
Those oils can go rancid. They may not, but probably better not to risk it. You can pick up a life time supply of mineral oil for a couple bucks at most drug stores. Remember that you only need a drop or two for lubing the pivot and even less to coat the blade for corrosion prevention.
On the hunt for...
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I use graphite.It doesn`t gum things up and does not trap dirt.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

First I used BM BlueLube since that was the only knife oil I had access to at the time, worked well. A while ago I got some Quick Release (http://quickreleaseoil.com/) and i can honestly say there is a difference. It doesn't leave a dull looking coat on my blades (like the BlueLube did) it makes my folders a bit smoother but when I really noticed the difference was my balisongs, I can tighten the pivots a bit tighter now and still have fluid action lessening wobble. :cool:
Very highly recommended.
Haven't tried others so far, and honestly I'm not too worried about the food safe issue, I always rinse my blade before I touch food with it anyway so the amount of transfer would be pretty minimal. :)
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Give Parktool Polylube 1000 a try :) . Cheap and effective!!
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
JD Spydo

Sentry Solutions, Millitec & Ballistol

Post by JD Spydo »

1623 wrote:I picked up a Tuf Cloth and a bottle of Tuf Glide when I purchased my Sage 1.

Very nice products and Sentry is located in my home state, so I'm happy to support.

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/
It's hard to go wrong with any of Sentry Solution's products. They have a dry lube I also particularly like called "BP 2000".

I also like the Militec products well too. The Militec synthetic oil and their synthetic grease both are superb products and are hailed throughout the firearms industries as well as for knives and other outdoor products.

There is also a product I swear by for lubrication and cleaning as well called Ballistol. I use Ballistol for many different applications. It's really superb for the cleaning and preserving/treating of G-10 and other handle materials.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

Dry Lube is great

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:I use graphite.It doesn`t gum things up and does not trap dirt.
Hey Lord Vader I love graphite and other dry lubes just as you do. I"m starting to use more dry lube products than I used to.

But don't stop at graphite because there are some great teflon/PTFE dry lubes out there that are superb.

With the newer nanotech line of products hitting the market it's going to be very interesting what new dry lubes come out in the next 2 years or so.

As I also said in an earlier post Sentry Solutions has a great dry lube called "BP 2000".
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!