How's the German knife law in real life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Neomik

How's the German knife law in real life?

Post by Neomik »

Hello everyone,

I am about to move to Germany and I do know about the current knife restriction law. I read it online but I can't figure out exactly what it means in some terms! Maybe some of you who live there know it better?

I know that no folding knifes with any sort of locking mechanism are allowed! Period! But they also restrict the blade size on knifes without locks. Is that the effective cutting edge or the blade length?

And there is a strange thing from what I understand I could carry a small fixed blade with a blade length of less than 12cm. Is that so?

Thanks for any help in advance
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
Gevatter

Post by Gevatter »

Hallo Neomik,

Balisongs, fistdagger and switchblades with blades longer than 8,5cm are forbidden, illegal.
If you want to carry a onehand opening knife, a fixed one with a blade longer than 12cm or daggergrind you need a legal reason such as sport, work or traditional activities. Twohand opening knives with or without a lock are not restricted.

Best Regards Michael
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Gevatter wrote:Hallo Neomik,

Balisongs, fistdagger and switchblades with blades longer than 8,5cm are forbidden, illegal.
If you want to carry a onehand opening knife, a fixed one with a blade longer than 12cm or daggergrind you need a legal reason such as sport, work or traditional activities. Twohand opening knives with or without a lock are not restricted.

Best Regards Michael
"Danke" Gevatter!

I re-read the German law about knifes and weapons in general ("Waffenrecht/Waffengesetz") and it says exactly what you wrote about the Ballisongs, Fistdaggers, Autoknifes and switchblades, Tactical knifes.

That those are illegal to carry and forbidden.

But it says to my understanding that the carry of knifes with one hand opening are also forbidden no matter the blade length if they have a locking mechanism and fixed blades with a blade length over 12cm.

So if I have a Spyderco Moran or any other small fixed blade on my belt that should not cause any trouble accept if I go to a public event like a concert or soccer game or such?

That whole thing leaves room for interpretations and clearly states one bad thing to me: I will have to leave my one hand opening Spyderco folders at home until I get myself a UK style spydie that can be opened with one hand but has no lock.

Thanks for your help Gevatter
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

True, your folder can be a one-hand-opener or have a lock.
But not both.
The UK FRN lightweight is a very capable knife, if I may recommend.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Very strange. I visited the Boker factory store in Solingen last summer. They were displaying balisongs, automatic knives, most of the core Boker line (and sub-brands like Magnum) as well as almost the complete line of Spydercos.

I wonder how you get these knives home legally after you purchase them? :rolleyes:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

phillipsted wrote: I wonder how you get these knives home legally after you purchase them? :rolleyes:

TedP
My question concerned more the EDC issue of what is and what not allowed to carry... but you're making a point here!

I remember the general Rule in Germany years ago while I used to live there. That you can "securely" transport certain items/weapons that are restricted in public or only allowed for special reasons e.g a hunter and his riffle, he would have to use a storage container that would have to be sealed and his Ammunition in a separate container.
So I guess that applies to those knifes that you are allowed to buy but not to carry around :) ! If they are in their box and with a proof that you just bought the item for home use only.
Michael