EDC dressy folders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
butch

EDC dressy folders

Post by butch »

jsut not for me im a hard user and due to that as much as i love my "dress folder" its the folder that has lived the shortest amount of time in my pocket.

the cpm M4 was great and its sure a handle slicer but im hard on tools and as such im working on a replacement. not to say that it will be all tac tee cool but it will not be a light use knife for sure.

so what say you all what style EDC are you using right now hard use, dress, or the between ?
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

I'm into the hard use style folders. Carry an SnG everyday. I do have my Case small texas toothpick with kentucky bluegrass for dress slacks, but that doesn't happen very often.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Cento3/4 are great lightweights. My normal "classy" knife is either a Sage2 or Phoenix. The Sage is a superior tool but there is just something magical about Viele's designs.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Bradley or original Persian are always in my pocket.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i have a custom gents ti frame lock with stainless damascus-
my new terzuola cf slipit would do nice also
Donut

Post by Donut »

Depends on if I'm working or not and where I'm going. On the weekends I've been carrying my HEST Folder like it was my religion. That thing is pretty heavy duty, 3/16" thick D2 blade. During the week I will normally go with a ~3" blade like a Delica or go up to a Stretch or Manix 2 sprint if I want a heavier duty knife.

I've been carrying a lighter duty knife around everywhere, typically a dragonfly in my back pocket.

Plus I've been carrying a slipjoint in pocket, either a Victorinox Alox SAK or my Canal Street Cutlery. The CSC Slipjoint is a pretty happy medium with Mother of Pearl scales and a 1/8" thick D2 primary blade. It doesn't look like a crazy knife, but it could be one if I need it to be.

I also have a Goddard Jr on my keys and carry a Cricket SE as a money clip.

I didn't realize that I have been carrying 4 knives with me almost everywhere.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

anything with wood (or some type of exotic) handles. :D ..........though you would need to make the scales, which brings a sense of achievement :)
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

I carry a CRK Lg. Sebenza 21 w/ raindrop damascus.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Almost always dressy. Either my Lignum Stretch or the CF Chaparral, plus a Kiwi of some kind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

The Deacon wrote:Almost always dressy. Either my Lignum Stretch or the CF Chaparral, plus a Kiwi of some kind.
You've got a Chaparral already? LUCKY!

I think the Caly3CF looks good for dress IMHO
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not feel that I need anything heavy-duty and prefer good-looking knives. So I carry mostly dressy folders(at least in my opinion): bolstered C83 and C105 Persians, Kopa, Navaja. I am not sure if Caly3.5 qualifies as dressy, but it looks good for me.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I typically carry a combo of hard use and slicer but my dressiest slicer is probably the blue stretch.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Around the house and out and about in town most days I just reach for the FRN UKPK. I have mine sharp as a laser and it can handle all the cutting I'll ever realistically need to do. If I am going anywhere on business and need something flashy then I'd pack my Terzuola Slipit or a Michael Morris Friction Folder :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
butch

Post by butch »

i do have a pair of shell inlay spyders and when i do dress up i have one of them (less i want/need to have a knife i made on me

but my last folder well its jsut not what i need 99% of the time in the shop and round the house
and in my true fashion it will be shelved in the continued evolution of my knives this will be the 5th folder for myself
this one is a hawk
a step forward
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

For me it's mostly dressy. Right now (at work) it's a pearl half-congress by Richard Rogers. I have a small, Timascus, TNT for those "dressy" occasions when I want a pocket clip, tactical-type folder; also a DDR Mad Maxx II (3").

For hard use, I prefer a fixed blade, but I also own and carry an SnG. For really hard use, I have a Strider ZM (1/4" S30V) and a stubby Razel.
unit

Post by unit »

Gayle Bradley. Once modified slightly to taste (rounded the liners to make it more work friendly on my hands) it is both very attractive and work capable.

Seriously, if you have not beat the **** out of one, do so today! You will not be disappointed!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have a CF Kopa for the rare occasion that I am feeling the need for a dressy knife. At work, I use my knives pretty hard so I typically carry some mix of a Delica, Native SE, and lately a Tasman. I also often have a beater knife that I can get stupid with if the occasion arises.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
butch

Post by butch »

so as you can see i have kept every spyder holed folder i have ever made (as per the agreement that if i ever want to sell i will pay for the rights )
from top to bottom is the time line
and here is a shot of the new blade jsut about ready for HT

ok give me a sec face book pics dont link
a step forward
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

My "dress" knife is Ti Salsa or Urban.
My "between" is a VERY long list because they are the most used - Large Chinese, Stretch, Burger, A100 Emerson, and many others.
My "hard" knives are CS A Lawman, SnG, Para(old), Buck 110, ZT 301.
(don't use Spydercos hard)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
butch

Post by butch »

well so back intonthe shop today but im having fits with jsut how i want to put "teeth" on this blade im think ign only 30% teeth
but more its about settign up my mill to cut them while still non HTed ( need a sine plate but will make a workaround)
a step forward