DAM Quick fishing reels?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Calicoast

Re: DAM Quick fishing reels?

Post by Calicoast »

Here is a picture of the Daiwa SS No.1
Attachments
2018-12-01 09.12.30.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Calicoast wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am
I never owned or used any of those older "Daiwa" reels but I've got several friends that I've fished with over the years that really like those reels.

I've got a book in storage which was compiled by a guy here in the USA named Ben Wright. I believe the title was something like "Wright's Price Guide for Spinning Reels". It covers dozens of USA and foreign made open faced spinning reels. It spoke well of those Daiwa reels as well>> I do remember that.

Also some of the older PENN reels were legendary >> he had a long list of those PEEN reels in that book and he noted that some of the smaller PENNS were some of the best ultra-light reels ever made and their bigger Salt Water reels were the best of the best in that category.

Daiwa wasn't the only Japanese made reel that had a great reputation. There are two other brands but their names escape me at this time. I'm going to my storage unit this week and I'll see if I can find that Wright's Price Guide for Spinning Reels. I paid a pretty nickel for that book when i bought it back in about 01 or 02 I forget which. I've also got to talk to Ben Wright over the phone about some of the older D.A.M. Quick reels and he was very nice to help out. But his book on fishing reel prices is great if you are a serious collector.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 am
Calicoast wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am
I never owned or used any of those older "Daiwa" reels but I've got several friends that I've fished with over the years that really like those reels.

I've got a book in storage which was compiled by a guy here in the USA named Ben Wright. I believe the title was something like "Wright's Price Guide for Spinning Reels". It covers dozens of USA and foreign made open faced spinning reels. It spoke well of those Daiwa reels as well>> I do remember that.

Also some of the older PENN reels were legendary >> he had a long list of those PEEN reels in that book and he noted that some of the smaller PENNS were some of the best ultra-light reels ever made and their bigger Salt Water reels were the best of the best in that category.

Daiwa wasn't the only Japanese made reel that had a great reputation. There are two other brands but their names escape me at this time. I'm going to my storage unit this week and I'll see if I can find that Wright's Price Guide for Spinning Reels. I paid a pretty nickel for that book when i bought it back in about 01 or 02 I forget which. I've also got to talk to Ben Wright over the phone about some of the older D.A.M. Quick reels and he was very nice to help out. But his book on fishing reel prices is great if you are a serious collector.
Interesting. Never heard of that book. Be curious to know what those other Japan companies were? Kind of like the Japan stuff. I had a few of the Daiwa SS salt water reels the SS5000 and SS900. The spool has japanese script and pictures on it. Very high end. The SS 5000 actually work's well at reaching kelp patties that are a distance of the boat. It will hold 20-30lb Dorado, no problem.

Had the Penn's, fresh and salt as well. All the old salty sea dog's I fish with all have Penn's, there content and not looking for the latest and greatest.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I like my DAM quick too, but they are at my brothers house. Use about 2 to 3x years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm
I like my DAM quick too, but they are at my brothers house. Use about 2 to 3x years.
Hey the next time you get access to those D.A.M. Quick reels try to get the model numbers off of them and I'll look up the price in Ben Wright's book. I'm also interested to know if they might be some of the same great models I've played with in the past. I just saw where one of his older books fetched way over $100 on one of the auction sites. I've not yet found anyone who is the authority on open faced spinning reels like Ben Wright. By the way the D.A.M. Quick company has a very rich history to them. It's also very interesting how their popularity is big in certain geographical areas. I've found that the eastern part of the USA for instance are big fans of them>> Upstate New York especially.

I should be able to get access to my copy before the end of the week. I do remember he did have a huge list of those Diawa reels in that book. I never paid much attention to the prices because it hadn't been a brand I was interested in. I've told two of my fishing friends that if I ever found a reel that I was convinced was better than a D.A.M. Quick I would immediately switch over. I've been sold on them ever since the 70s ( oh boy I'm really dating myself :o :D ). I do know that for many years that D.A.M. Quick was truly the favorite of the Germans>> who by the way are very picky folks when it comes to quality.

But I would be the first to admit that the Japanese are a quality minded people. Yes they are "copy cats" but they also have a reputation of improving what they are copying. The more I play with high end Japanese cutlery the more I become convinced. And I do know of a lot of people that use Japanese fishing gear. And I don't really think the price is the main motivator either. Because when I got my first D.A.M. Quick price didn't mean much to me anymore. I can say the same about Spyderco knives too ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey JD,

I’m sure I would have seen a DAM reel somewhere down the track but I don’t recall mate. We use local Side Cast reels made by Alvey Australian for fishing in the surf or off ocean rocks because they’re so simple in design as to be virtually unbreakable. If they were knives they’d be Salt Series. Sand in the guts of an Alvey? Simply undo a screw and the spool slides off the spindle like a Centre Pin reel. You wash the lot out in saltwater give it a bit of a shake put it back together and keep fishing. There aren’t any gears or drag apart from your palm, and coupled with 12’-6” rods we used to built from local Snyder fibreglass blanks they’d toss their optimal cast weights near out of sight.

For tossing 40g metal lures off the ocean rocks I used to use a Overhead Reel - Shimano SpeedMaster on a 10’-6” rod.

I was gifted a Shimano Stradic 2000 near 30yrs ago; along with my first “Graphite” rod (6’-6”) and I had so much fun with that outfit. It was my first Spinning Reel and my first attempts at tricking fish without using bait.

I bought these three Shimano’s over the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:59 am
Hey JD,

I’m sure I would have seen a DAM reel somewhere down the track but I don’t recall mate. We use local Side Cast reels made by Alvey Australian for fishing in the surf or off ocean rocks because they’re so simple in design as to be virtually unbreakable. If they were knives they’d be Salt Series. Sand in the guts of an Alvey? Simply undo a screw and the spool slides off the spindle like a Centre Pin reel. You wash the lot out in saltwater give it a bit of a shake put it back together and keep fishing. There aren’t any gears or drag apart from your palm, and coupled with 12’-6” rods we used to built from local Snyder fibreglass blanks they’d toss their optimal cast weights near out of sight.
That's some nice looking equipment there BLOKE :) I do seem to remember that SHIMANO also made fishing reels. A few years back when I was racing bikes I had SHIMANO gear on the bicycle I was racing. They made derailuers and various other high tech equipment for bicycles at the time. And that stuff wasn't cheap either. Never used a Shimano reel but if I ever see one at an estate sale, flea market, garage sale or thrift store I will sure buy one and test it out. Like I said earlier there are some other reels I've liked over the years. But the D.A.M. Quick reels are the most dependable I've ever used in all my years of fishing. The Quicks are also very resistant to salt water and other corrosive elements.

I've never heard of the Alvey reels but when I get my Wright's Price Guide that has about every reel on the planet in it I will sure take a look at them. Hmm? Wonder if they got a website? It is interesting however that I heard at one time the D.A. M. Quick reels did have some popularity in your home country. However when I seen that Australian advertisement it was all the way back in the early 90s. But I will sure check out those Shimano reels. They made very nice equipment for bicycles and it was not bargain basement cheap either.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm not really a fisherman, but I don't understand why you disparage quick fishing reels. :confused:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm
I'm not really a fisherman, but I don't understand why you disparage quick fishing reels. :confused:
Well now you've got me confused :confused: Because I've carefully read my last 4 posts on this thread and I can't find one instance of myself saying anything disparaging or derogatory about D.A.M. Quick reels. No!! it's been just the oppositie with me because they are my personal favorite fishing reel.

But do please tell me where I left you or anyone else with that impression. I started this thread in praise of the German engineering that went into these modern day marvels.
Crux

Post by Crux »

My bad, I misread the title.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:19 pm
My bad, I misread the title.
All is well my good Brother>> Can't even remember how many times I've had to eat crow here on the Forum :o :D . It's been quite a few actually :o :D

Hey I got a question to ask you?? Are you a fan of D.A.M.Quick German made fishing reels? Or any other premium fishing reel for that matter?

In my experiences the only two brands of fishing reels I can compare them to are the older PENN reels and the older ABU Cardinal reels.

OH and for all of you checking this thread out I also welcome any input on top notch fishing rods as well. I've also found D.A.M. Quick to have great rods as well as their reels.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I never heard of them but I thought I'd poke fun with you a little. Sorry. :)
JD Spydo

fishing season approaching

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I just had to bump this old thread on D.A.M. Quick fishing reels again. With fishing season rapidly approaching I got out a couple of my D.A.M. Quick reels to put new grease on the gears and just make sure they are clean and ready for action.

I'm getting two of my D.A.M. Quick reels which are models 1202 and 3001 ready for Spring fishing season here in Missouri. I love to go for Crappie in the early Spring time. And in a local lake I fish at a lot they tell me that the Walleye are starting to get plentiful. I hope I didn't pull this thread up in vain and I hope to reach more owners of D.A.M. Quick reels. But you don't have to limit it to Quicks because I would also like to chat about Penn or anything else in that range of quality.

I know I'm not the only one here who likes D.A.M. Quick reels ( especially the German made).
Wazza66

Post by Wazza66 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:29 am
Well "Calicoast" you've kind of lit of fire. Because you just have to deduct that if the company is making good reels well you know their rods are going to be decent as well. I did get some tackle that had D.A.M. Quick's label on them. They were bass lures>> I got them on fleabay some time back.

But another item that D.A.M. Quick still makes is their fishing line. It used to be called "Gold Damyl" but I think they have another marketing name for it now. But I used to use nothing but that line made by Quick. It was just as good or maybe even slightly better than Stren or Trilene or any of the other top name fishing lines.

The drag system on those Quicks is awesome. Some of the later D.A.M. Quick reels had a "Magnetic Drag System" ( MDS) but I never got my hands on one of them and I've heard mixed reviews of them. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who did a big write up on the internet about the Quick model 5001. He ranked that model up with some of the very best salt water reels ever made.
The guy who wrote the really good review of the 5001 was Alan Hawk.
https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/quk51.html
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Wazza66:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wazza66 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:55 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:29 am
Well "Calicoast" you've kind of lit of fire. Because you just have to deduct that if the company is making good reels well you know their rods are going to be decent as well. I did get some tackle that had D.A.M. Quick's label on them. They were bass lures>> I got them on fleabay some time back.

But another item that D.A.M. Quick still makes is their fishing line. It used to be called "Gold Damyl" but I think they have another marketing name for it now. But I used to use nothing but that line made by Quick. It was just as good or maybe even slightly better than Stren or Trilene or any of the other top name fishing lines.

The drag system on those Quicks is awesome. Some of the later D.A.M. Quick reels had a "Magnetic Drag System" ( MDS) but I never got my hands on one of them and I've heard mixed reviews of them. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who did a big write up on the internet about the Quick model 5001. He ranked that model up with some of the very best salt water reels ever made.
The guy who wrote the really good review of the 5001 was Alan Hawk.
https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/quk51.html
Hey Welcome to the Forum here at Spyderville "Wazza66". You are absolutely right!! that is the name of the guy who did the review on the D.A.M. Quick model 5001. It's been a while since I've read that model 5001 review but that guy covered all the bases.
I was amazed at how that D.A.M. Quick model 5001 stacked up against many of the newer reels on the market according to that article. That just blows my mind as to how that D.A.M. Quick model 5001 was shown to rank with so many newer deep sea type reels. The overall quality of those D.A.M. Quick reels is timeless. I just went fishing this past weekend and took my D.A.M. Quick model 1202 with me and had a very enjoyable time.
Again that particular review was really well done. It's not often that you see a fishing reel that was made in the 70s/80s be compared to many of the newer, high priced fishing reels on the market today.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:09 am
I just went fishing this past weekend
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin