Prayers needed for one of our Knifebros

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wec12

Post by wec12 »

You know you'll get well soon, Kurt :) .
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Very Dear Friends,

I truly appreciate the warm wishes; it has been highly therapeutic to check in here and read the posts.

I expect a long and arduous recovery given the damage to my arm – the surgeon indicated that it appeared to have been injured once previously (though obviously not to this degree) and that he was surprised that this hadn’t happened sooner.

One milestone passed – no pain meds yesterday, and none so far today. I’m able to deal with the discomfort without them – I have concerns about potential addiction, having seen many of my friends go through it, so I monitor carefully.

There is no current projection for recovery – it will be an ongoing process with checkups every two weeks until he feels that I have healed enough to return to normal use. At that time we start physical therapy to stretch the bicep out again and restore normal flexibility and full range of motion; after that I’ll begin building strength.

I WILL recover 100%. ;) I'm quite determined.

Typing is a bit of a chore right now which is why I have not responded sooner – I tell the friends who email and text me regularly that for a while I expect to have an “electronic speech impediment” of sorts and to please bear with me.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to all of you; special appreciation to our esteemed Doc Snubnose for his kindness in bringing my infirmity to everyone’s attention when I was incapable.

Warmest regards,

Hannibal Lecter
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hannibal,

I will say to take your time getting better, but no one wants to take their time, so get better as fast as comfortably possible. I work out regularly and once in a while I will go a little too far with my biceps and the slightest bit of damage makes me feel like I'm crippled. Limited movement seems like the worst. I imagine what you have seems horrible. In the short run (a few days) it always seems like biceps recover slowly, but in the long run (weeks) I think they gain strength the fastest of any muscle in the body.

I have high hopes. I think it will be uncomfortable, but I think you will have no problem recovering. At least full functionality is a strong motivator, put it to good use!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Great to hear from you, Kurt, and thanks for the update!

Sounds like it'll be painful for a while and recovery is down the road a ways... and, as they say, good things are worth waiting for. :)

Take care, take it nice and steady, and get well!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Watch lots of early Schwarzenegger movies, that should help some. Osmosis.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Late to the party, but prayers sent just the same. With all prayers and backing your way.......no doubt you will recover fully. Take care of yourself and stay motivated......God Bless.....
BAL

Post by BAL »

Wishing you the very best Hannibal, Take care.
mike
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Kurt.

Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad to know that you're on track with recovery.

My wife slipped on some ice this winter, and broke her arm. Like you, she opted out of pain meds. It was a painful time, but she was back to normal with full use of her arm a whole lot faster than anyone expected. I hope that your recovery is just as expedient.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Hannibal Lecter

Good News...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

Just returned from the doctor. Healing is accelerated well beyond his expectations. Original estimates of an extended healing time have been adjusted - 6 weeks total from surgery to normal use. Bandages removed today, sling only at nighttime, gravity-assisted stretching only for now. Can pick up light objects.

Beats the 5-6 month estimate by a wide margin. :D

Thank you all for the positive thoughts - I have no doubt they have contributed to my rapid recovery in a measurable, positive way!

Best,

Kurt
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm very happy to read the good news about your progress Kurt. Still, you're not there yet, so I'm not impressed...try harder! ;)

Sincerely, I wish you more good luck with your recovery. I wish I caught this thread sooner.

BTW, I wouldn't want to be this guy's doctor - it's one thing to annoy a patient, but to screw up with Dr. Hannibal Lecter? The consequences could be quite....incisive. :D
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

glad to hear you are healing quickly, keep it up :) .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Some good news! Glad you are healing so well!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
dmon

Post by dmon »

Sorry i am late... Kurt, glad to hear that you are on fast path to recovery. Best of luck with getting back to full power. Stay strong and take care of yourself.
All the best!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Great news, Hannibal - be patient and take care. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Great news bud!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Hang in there buddy!
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

Get well soon, Kurt! Prayers inbound.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Im sorry to hear this, Prayers sent Kurt, glad to hear its been a speedy recovery! Get well soon!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Good to hear you're on the mend Kurt, continued best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Terrific new Kurt :) Glad to hear your healing is beyond initial expectations!