Escape from New York

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I was going to make a joke about putting all your eggs in one basket, but...

GUARD THAT 12X12X8 BOX WITH YOUR LIFE! :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

phillipsted wrote:I was going to make a joke about putting all your eggs in one basket, but...

TedP
More like putting all your Kiwis in one basket....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Paul, congratulations on your new place.
Good luck with the relocation and your new lifestyle (I suppose there will be some changes after all).
Hopefully you won't miss the big city too much. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

jackknifeh wrote:You may know this but I'd recommend when closing and having to sign all the mortgage paperwork, try not to look at the page that has a bunch of numbers on it.
NO NO NO! You NEED to read all of that stupid hundreds-of-pages contract! Seriously! I have found TWO major errors on two of our house contracts! Both involved interest rate screw ups! Neither error was in our favor either.

I used to work (13yrs) in a loan contract secondary market...I cannot begin to tell you the number of lives I saw wrecked by people not reading and understanding the contracts they were signing!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Monkeywrangler wrote:NO NO NO! You NEED to read all of that stupid hundreds-of-pages contract! Seriously! I have found TWO major errors on two of our house contracts! Both involved interest rate screw ups! Neither error was in our favor either.

I used to work (13yrs) in a loan contract secondary market...I cannot begin to tell you the number of lives I saw wrecked by people not reading and understanding the contracts they were signing!

You are right of course about reading everything. I was trying to make a joke but hadn't even thought about errors until now. In your experience were wrecked lives caused by people knowingly putting higher interest (or whatever) numbers on the paperwork counting on the buyer not reading everything closely (I know I didn't). Or were inaccuracies a genuine error? If that were the case I'd think the guilty party would own up to an honest mistake and re-do the paperwork accurately to be re-signed.

Jack
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Paul, You will be about 5-6 hours away I guess but if you ever get by Raleigh please plan on stopping by and letting me buy you dinner here at one of our local restaurants of your preference.

Likewise if you need anything let me know. I'm pretty much stuck here due to my surgery/rehab save money for the next escalator , and no one to take care of Finn the mastiff who is recovering from a surgery himself too but if you get up here or need anything from around here just let me know.

Good luck.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Paul,
Congrats on your move. I hope SC treats you well. I am a ways away from there, but as my little boy lives very close to the NC/SC border I spend some time down there. We should try and organize a SE :spyder: meet-n-greet sometime. I will try to make it to Blade but short of that there should be enough regulars to justify doing something sometime. I know being close to Arkansas means I should be able to easily find quite a bit of knife culture, particularly pertaining to oldschool bowie-type makers and some of the BladeSports stuff.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Well done Paul - it's got to be a good decision - hope the move goes well :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I miss the South!! Congratulations!! I think you'll make a good southerner.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

paul,

i live in greenville. if i can be of any help to you, send me a PM. you have made a fine choice. i love it here. s.c. is wonderful place.

white cloud
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Once again, thanks everyone for the good thoughts.
DMgangl wrote:Well I will gladly extend an early welcome to SC. Hope you like your new home.

DM
Thanks DM, am sure I'll love it. I got a very favorable impression of SC back in '08 on my way to Blade and my stay in Greenville last week confirmed it fully.
unit wrote:Congratulations Paul.

I hope you enjoy your new location.

Moving can be QUITE stressful...take it easy brother!
Yes, it can. I do have a few advantages this time around. This is my sixth move. so I do have a better idea of what to expect. I'm also going from a small apartment with mostly old beat up furniture that I'm not taking with me to a much larger place, so much less to move this time and plenty of place to put it. Third, and perhaps biggest one, is that there are a minimal number of contingencies which could delay things or make it fall apart completely. No other closings that could go south, no chance the seller's furniture or tenants will still be there when I arrive or that the place will be a pig sty.
Have had some of those thing happen in the past, and come "this close" to having most of the others happen at least once.
bh49 wrote:Paul,
Congrats on new home. Enjoy. Probably you will forget how snow looks like. :)
Roman
Not quite Roman, but a 6" average ANNUAL snowfall will definitely be a lot easier to live with than 84. But I will take my shovel just in case all 6" come at once. ;) Truth is, one of the things I liked about South Carolina was that it still has four seasons, just not the extremes.
Blerv wrote:Congrats Paul!

Now you can feel ok carrying those "deadly" locking knives ;) .
Been doing that all my life and, honestly, I don't see that ever being an issue in upstate New York. My reasons for wanting out are mostly icy weather related.
4 s ter wrote:Paul

All the best on your move. May your relocation be everything you hope for. I'll be looking forward to your more regular return to the forum!
Thanks David, I hope so too.
phillipsted wrote:I was going to make a joke about putting all your eggs in one basket, but...

TedP
True Ted, but at least it's a basket small enough that I can keep it with me.

dialex wrote:Hi Paul, congratulations on your new place.
Good luck with the relocation and your new lifestyle (I suppose there will be some changes after all).
Hopefully you won't miss the big city too much. ;)
Thank Alex. Truth is, the Greeville area is much like here, only warmer. :) Couple mid size cities and a couple small ones with suburbs and rural areas in between. Seems to have a lot more limited access highways, but that's probably just because I'm not fully oriented yet. Different supermarket chains, for the most part, but my other usual haunts - Walmart, Staples (computer stuff), Rite-Aid (drug store) will be there.
Monkeywrangler wrote:NO NO NO! You NEED to read all of that stupid hundreds-of-pages contract! Seriously! I have found TWO major errors on two of our house contracts! Both involved interest rate screw ups! Neither error was in our favor either.

Oh I did, but I only found a couple fairly minor errors in the contract and an equally minor one in the mortgage application. None of which would have put more money in anyone's pocket, but one might have caused paperwork to go astray, which could have been disasterous. Will say that I found the SC contracts a lot easier to read than the ones for houses I've purchased here.
jackknifeh wrote:You are right of course about reading everything. I was trying to make a joke but hadn't even thought about errors until now. In your experience were wrecked lives caused by people knowingly putting higher interest (or whatever) numbers on the paperwork counting on the buyer not reading everything closely (I know I didn't). Or were inaccuracies a genuine error? If that were the case I'd think the guilty party would own up to an honest mistake and re-do the paperwork accurately to be re-signed.

Jack
No problem Jack, figured you were just joking. :D
The Mastiff wrote:Paul, You will be about 5-6 hours away I guess but if you ever get by Raleigh please plan on stopping by and letting me buy you dinner here at one of our local restaurants of your preference.

Likewise if you need anything let me know. I'm pretty much stuck here due to my surgery/rehab save money for the next escalator , and no one to take care of Finn the mastiff who is recovering from a surgery himself too but if you get up here or need anything from around here just let me know.

Good luck.

Joe
Thanks Joe, would love to pay you a visit once I get settled in. Best wishes to you and Finn for a full and speedy recovery.
white cloud wrote:paul,

i live in greenville. if i can be of any help to you, send me a PM. you have made a fine choice. i love it here. s.c. is wonderful place.

white cloud
Will do. :) We'll definitely have to get together sometime.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Congratulations! I hope your move goes well and the new house is great. Don't be gone too long - we need to know stuff. ;)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Congrats Paul, I hope everything will go smoothly.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Deacon wrote: Different supermarket chains, for the most part, but my other usual haunts - Walmart, Staples (computer stuff), Rite-Aid (drug store) will be there.
I find Ingle's to be a good all around chain - pretty solid on quality, some excellent prices (I don't know what prices in upstate NY are, but I did notice food being a bit less expensive overall in the region you're moving to than in the RTP area of NC where I have spent a majority of my life).

You will find excellent BBQ places in the vicinity probably. most likely pork, cooked with smoke, the best places are usually hole-in-the-wall places with a seeemingly eternal plume of smoke (I understand the oldschool smokers start a wood-fired pit up at about 2AM, which explains why they often are not open late).. The SC standard style is a nice tangy honey mustard sort of sauce. My favorite is E. NC style which would be whole hog (as opposed to just shoulders, though shoulders are good) with a sauce that is mostly apple cider vinegar with chopped up red peppers in it. (a little brown sugar and salt maybe, but it stays a very thin sauce and complements smoked park (and some other meats) in a delightful way. You owe it to yourself to enjoy good regional fare. I also find I have a taste for boiled peanuts, shrimp and grits, and could rattle off plenty of other things but that's a culinary start if you want to enjoy the taste of good southern food. there are a myriad of deep fried foods out there as well, but I skipped them because the premise is both simple and probably not as regionally relevant as my earlier offerings.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Congratulations Plissken, I mean Paul. South Carolina has some beautiful scenery. Best of luck to you.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Congratulations with your new house and I hope your big move goes easy for you.It`s going to be a big change for you,getting out of the big apple and all the hussle and bussle,you`ll really like the change. :)
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Paul, Congrats on the New Home and finally getting out of New York :cool: . It's been a while since I've posted. I've been Crazy Busy with wedding plans and Work. While lurking and seeing this ... I had to post and again tell you...

CONGRATS DEACON!!!

Take Good Care, Be Safe Always, and Wish You All The Happiness and Best of Luck with your New Adventure ;)

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Congrats Paul!

As the kids would say, I'm feeling you. After 58 years I'm pretty much done with this state. I probably won't go as far south as SC but Lord willing I'll be heading in that direction in a few years.

All the best with the new chapter in your life.

Paul
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

It's nice to move to a state where your Presidential vote actually matters. Coming from CA I know all about it!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Congrats! Best of luck with your relocation. Hope to see some pictures of your spydercollection in its new display case! (assuming it might have one.. :D ) and the new house of course!