APPALLING Sexual Assault at DIA 36 Hrs Past

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SkullBouncer

APPALLING Sexual Assault at DIA 36 Hrs Past

Post by SkullBouncer »

...By (brace yourselves) a MARINE.
I am DISGUSTED as a VFW -- borderline ashamed that such slime share(d) the Uniform.
===========================================

This news is still breaking as to the details, but I'll summarize what I know so far.

Overnight Monday, a 22 year old lady apparently either missed her orig. flight or it was canceled, so she waited on concourse 'A' to catch the next upcoming flight to Illinois where she ostensibly was to be interviewed for a position at a CONVENT.

The concourse was basically deserted, security cameras there were apparently not being monitored according to a TSA (?) employee's statement to the authorities following the atrocity.

The WORST could have been prevented otherwise, but secondary to this assault and rape was the apparent fact that just a few DIA janitorial staff + a small other few briefly passing the scene of the rape in progress.....IGNORED it and no-one got involved until TEN MINUTES into the crime when an airline mechanic for Frontier Airlines outside / glimpsing through the glass by sheer coincidence got another fellow employee to run to notify security while the first finally stormed into the scene (an Air Force Veteran) and confronted the 'Marine' screaming "GET THE F OFF OF HER".

The woman / victim of the alleged assault was by then badly beaten on her lower extremities and had her head grabbed from behind by her hair and repeatedly slammed to the deck ostensibly then raped from behind by the perp, for the aforementioned timeframe until the brave (read: Hero) took action while waiting for police to arrive as alerted my the other aircraft mechanic.

Details still breaking as earlier mentioned, but in an exclusive on-air interview taking place on a local FM radio morning show I regularly listen to; the personal friend of the AF Veteran / aircraft mechanic whom diffused the assault then called said hero that had acted on scene (only name given was the first name 'Mark') then was later contacted by phone while on air (KRFX 103.5 'The Fox') by his buddy just a mere two hours ago as of the typing of this post... gave his first hand account of his intervention --

-- more details to follow in another post as this one is quite long already.

SB
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

...The victim at that point could then only mouth the words "thank you' to the rescuer.

Turns out that during the entire incident, she had as well suffered an unbearable asthma attack.

The 'second responders' got her inhaler out of her baggage soon after. She then gave her brief, hair raising account to authorities -- obviously scared as **** -- sobbing uncontrollably. This was later followed up by the reporting media.

===============================================

The story further unfolded: she had met the perp and went to a concourse bistro with him, and after the place closed at midnight he pursued her onto the then ostensibly deserted concourse.

The perp (read: Piece of S**T) then tried to kiss the victim, and after she rebuffed his advances was then violently forced to the deck -- the rest then ensued.

That's all for now; being in the initial stages some details may be somewhat hazy and / or not entirely documented.

I MUST ADD the fact that the alleged rapist was released from custody on only $10k bail -- bond secured in the amount of ONLY $1k -- he walked away and as of the present it is undetermined if this has since changed.

My blood BOILS. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Awaiting more breaking details / SB
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Just now got information that, out of +/- 900 security cameras within the airport, it was revealed by an airport or TSA official that only 10 % of these were actually in use and monitored.

Again; these are early reports that may change as the situational investigations proceed from here.

/ SB :mad: :mad:
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If there is any subset of humanity that I truly despise, it is people who take advantage of those weaker than them, be they rapists, child abusers, animal abusers, etc. I could spend the rest of my life hunting those people down and feel good about it.

I only hope changes are made to ensure that this never happens again. It may be a terrible aberration compared to usual goings-on but once is one time too many.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Amen, brother.

The travesty compounded by the other related travesties (cctv monitors unmanned; the bond for the perp's release secured at only $1k; passers- by IGNORING the assault because 'they didn't want to get involved' :eek: :eek:

WTH is THAT??!?? I'd sacrifice my personal safety in physical intervention of a similar scenario in a HOT SECOND with no second thought whatsoever -- I've done such in the past involving a couple of assaults in progress, at those times effectively, and while in retention of mental control and alertness. My martial arts background and military history provided the mindset and skills in these rare incidents; which then FORTUNATELY was enough....but someday may not be.

Would the latter happenstance change my reflexive response in any likewise future intervention including the topical scenario? I've gone down before fighting like ****, although very rarely was this ever the case. I'll take an *** whoopin' if I'm in the right, so long as I can give one right back.

Always depends on circumstance of course; if violence becomes unavoidable, I have by then ruled out and / or exhausted lesser alternatives. I have no deathwish, don't get me wrong.
I would however put my life on the line instantly in protecting my loved ones and innocents if it meant sparing their lives in the least.

- Bruce / SB
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

This entire incident could have been prevented. Unfortunately, having worked in the security industry, I can tell you that guys who take their job seriously; don't last. On a routine basis, you get shown in no uncertain terms that professionalism is not appreciated in the slightest bit. The guy who goofs off and screws around is far more likely to last if he's a brown-noser.

And who was that worthless joke of a human-being in a black robe who even granted this piece of $#!% bail??
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Unfortunately, today folks are so self absorbed that they refuse to do anything that they perceive as bothersome or that may interfere with their "me" time. Even at the cost of another persons life.

But they will record the incident on their phone and post it on youtube. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Monocrom wrote:This entire incident could have been prevented. Unfortunately, having worked in the security industry, I can tell you that guys who take their job seriously; don't last. On a routine basis, you get shown in no uncertain terms that professionalism is not appreciated in the slightest bit. The guy who goofs off and screws around is far more likely to last if he's a brown-noser.

And who was that worthless joke of a human-being in a black robe who even granted this piece of $#!% bail??
I agree with the security business remark, I'm working for the biggest american security company, and all I can say is WOW at the ridiculous people we have watching over others
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

This is ridiculous. I hope those who simply ignored this have it on their consciences for the rest of their lives. The very LEAST they could have done was alert authorities if they absolutely could not bring themselves to get involved. I have confidence in saying that I'm probably the most passive human being within a hundred mile radius or more. That being said, I'd have a really hard time convincing myself to ignore something like that, though I'd probably get pummeled to **** myself :p I'm sure that just the adrenaline rush from seeing something like that alone would be enough to prompt successful intervention. I can't imagine how the victim must feel knowing that several people turned a blind eye :( I'm sure that if she saw passersby she would yell out for help(unless of course her asthma attack prevented it). Who would ignore cries for help?
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Horrible tragedy.

The failure of others to act is entirely commonplace and "normal" though it's hard to believe. A line of social psychological research into the "bystander effect" was spawned by a related tragedy in the sixties, the murder of Kitty Genovese.

When I was 19 years old, I was part of a crowd in a poor urban neighborhood who watched a grown man da... near beat a 12 or 13 year old boy to death. After what seemed like a few minutes, but was probably only a few seconds, one bystander started yelling at the (very large and very angry) man and then the crowd joined in until the cops showed up. I've never forgiven myself for not doing something and it really changed who I am--now, if there's a car pulled over with a flat in a downpour, I pull over and help. I like to believe that I would do something in the case as described, but, until I'm there, who knows? Hard to believe that nobody even called the cops. I wonder if the bystanders thought the act was consensual? I hope that's the case anyway.

Go Air Force.

TSA sucks. Add to the staggering long list of embarrassments, screw-ups, failures, indignities. I'm sure the agency has some good folks working for it, I just wish they had some good folks thinking for it.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

tacticooledc wrote:I agree with the security business remark, I'm working for the biggest american security company, and all I can say is WOW at the ridiculous people we have watching over others
I worked for them right before I realized that I was wasting my time trying to earn a living as a security officer. They weren't worse or better than the other companies. But they were the ones who finally made it clear to me that professionalism in the American security industry is not even remotely appreciated.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Very Tragic Indeed....In situations such as this I find it almost impossible not to get involved...at least that seems to be my track record...only one time that I can remember when I didn't get involved...I was standing behind a guy in line at the bank...he was holding the teller up at gunpoint in front of me....I could have safely taken him out quick but didn't know if he had back-up waiting in line further behind me ....so I just let it happen....(felt terrible about it as well) ..seems like it ended up to be a good decision after all. The robber did have back-up in line behind me. The Police caught two men about a half an hour later in their home counting money they had stolen on their kitchen table...the idiot, believe it or not wrote the hold-up note on the back of his personal check. Rape is IMHO, the most horrible of crimes, and I can understand why some middle eastern countries have in their laws the punishment for rape as being "death by rape in a public square" using a hot poker, you can guess where....Very little rape in those countries....gee I wonder why!....Out on bail? You got to be kidding!....TSA....what do you expect!....This kinda of crap really bothers me :mad: wish I was there at the time....Doc :spyder:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

defenestrate wrote:If there is any subset of humanity that I truly despise, it is people who take advantage of those weaker than them, be they rapists, child abusers, animal abusers, etc. I could spend the rest of my life hunting those people down and feel good about it.

I only hope changes are made to ensure that this never happens again. It may be a terrible aberration compared to usual goings-on but once is one time too many.
You said it best. This is truly despicable. :mad:
Vic
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Doc, I think you did the best thing in the bank robbery incident. Bank employees are told to go along with a robbery and give the money. First of all, it's insured not to mention danger to customers. Not to say robbing a bank is ok but IMO a bank robber is a saint compared to a rapist which brings me back to the subject.

BAIL and released? Why. Was it because he was a marine? My Dad was in the Marines for 22 years and served in Korea and Viet Nam. I was in the Air Force for 13 years but my hard times were no worse than any civilian job. I don't believe we should be let off easy because of military service in an incident like this. I'm speaking too soon on this. The fact that he was a marine may not have played a part.

When punishing a criminal there are many opinions. One is rehabilitation, the other is punishment. I think punishment should be the "rehabilitation" treatment in a case like this. And I mean LOTS of "rehabilitation".

Jack
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If the man's experience as a Marine had any bearing it indicates either that a> he had some pretty serious mental/emotional issues that would have likely manifested regardless of his history of employment/service or b> he was exposed to experiences that created said issues while enlisted. Both of these issues are ones that being from North Carolina I hear about frequently as enlisted and former military (an unfortunately high proportion being Marines) committing atrocious acts seemingly "out of the blue". Either way, they are problems that society and the armed services need to keep addressing, which is not to say that a man who commits this kind of atrocity is in any way less culpable - just that there are mechanisms in place to help many people that end up doing terrible things.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that the man was a sociopathic predator - regardless, it is an unfortunate fact that people who get to this level of misanthropic activity are seldom capable of real rehabilitation, and if a system of training and discipline like the USMC didn't straighten his *** out, I don't think it is likely that a shrink will either :(
-
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

defenestrate wrote:If the man's experience as a Marine had any bearing it indicates either that a> he had some pretty serious mental/emotional issues that would have likely manifested regardless of his history of employment/service or b> he was exposed to experiences that created said issues while enlisted. Both of these issues are ones that being from North Carolina I hear about frequently as enlisted and former military (an unfortunately high proportion being Marines) committing atrocious acts seemingly "out of the blue". Either way, they are problems that society and the armed services need to keep addressing, which is not to say that a man who commits this kind of atrocity is in any way less culpable - just that there are mechanisms in place to help many people that end up doing terrible things.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that the man was a sociopathic predator - regardless, it is an unfortunate fact that people who get to this level of misanthropic activity are seldom capable of real rehabilitation, and if a system of training and discipline like the USMC didn't straighten his *** out, I don't think it is likely that a shrink will either :(
Well said. I mentioned him being a marine in that it may have influenced the judge to be generous and grant bail. I hadn't thought more into it than that. The other things you mentioned should be considered.

Jack
Corvid1

The Victim

Post by Corvid1 »

For the victim in this incident, her suffering, her pain is just beginning. The physical trauma that she has suffered as a result of this horrific assault will hopefully heal. However, it is quite likely that she will never heal from the emotional trauma that has been inflicted; so often, such anguish is an emotional death sentence for victims of sexual assault. If the perpetrator has indeed been released on $1K bond, the “justice” system has already dealt this victim a very significant and traumatic emotional blow – after all, she is just a young woman, while he, a marine, is one of our “heroes”.

More than anything, I pray that this young woman is from a good, supportive family, one, which is able to assist her in what, will most likely be a very long, slow recovery.

tim
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

jackknifeh wrote:The fact that he was a marine may not have played a part.
If it didn't, it should have. But in the opposite direction. You're a Marine, you get held to a higher standard. You pull that sort of thing, the judge should be even less lenient than he would be in a case where you'd expect a judge to be more than a bit harsh.

2cha

Post by 2cha »

defenestrate wrote:If the man's experience as a Marine had any bearing it indicates either that a> he had some pretty serious mental/emotional issues that would have likely manifested regardless of his history of employment/service or b> he was exposed to experiences that created said issues while enlisted. Both of these issues are ones that being from North Carolina I hear about frequently as enlisted and former military (an unfortunately high proportion being Marines) committing atrocious acts seemingly "out of the blue". Either way, they are problems that society and the armed services need to keep addressing, which is not to say that a man who commits this kind of atrocity is in any way less culpable - just that there are mechanisms in place to help many people that end up doing terrible things.

Gotta agree with much of what you said here. I grew up in Virginia, and spent a lot of time in VA Beach and Norfolk. A family member also owns a nightclub in VA Beach that caters predominately to military folk. At least 20 years ago when I hung out in those areas, there was an enormous volume of violent crime committed by what we called "dark greens" coming up to VA Beach from N. Carolina to rob the navy guys when ships came in. Just because somebody is in the service doesn't mean that they're there to "be of service."
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Corvin - agreed 100%.

Monocrom - outside of decisions performed as a part of duty particularly during wartime, agreed 100%. Bail should be extra high for anyone who is trained to kill by the US government, for obvious reasons, let alone violation of standard codes of honor that any save-and-serve style organization has. Now, if the judge wants to take into account potential issues that might have to do with psych issues pertaining or preceding service while sentencing, for example, that would be fine with me AFTER psych evals and trial occurs, and by no means should anyone employed to serve our nation get a get-out-of-consequence-free card for this - if anything, it might simply show more cause for groups like the Marines, investigators, people from his past, etc. to show extra scrutiny compared to someone who has never been vetted in an official way or someone committing a crime requiring less brutality or disaffect.

2cha - there are plenty of reasons for this, and having grown up in a heavily military-involved state, I have seen many of the same things. Some people enlist for their future, some to see the world, some to do their part for their country, and some people have a bent toward violent behaviour. This latter group, in my opinion, is about as inevitable as people with social anxiety/ineptitude becoming tech professionals. It's something that makes more sense to certain people who are wired a certain way, be it by nature or nurture. When I was living in Greenville, NC almost every metal show I went to would have drunk Marines(not just Marines, but I am speaking in terms of likelihood out of identifiable groups) on R&R who tried to start fights. This was usually handled well by local people who were used to this and ignored or used strength in numbers to make it unreasonable for a few troublemakers to cause distraction. That said, sometimes things happen and people get hurt. Same thing happens anywhere where people drink enough and are in close enough proximity, just a little more at aggressive music concerts with people who are trained to be badasses too quickly for psych or mental/emotional discipline processes to keep up.
-