Knife license in British Columbia?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

Knife license in British Columbia?

Post by Sequimite »

I was in Vancouver over the weekend. I was talking to a fifteen year-old who was into wood carving using an old style slip joint. He lives in Ladner, BC and said that he had to get a license for the knife. I can't find anything about this using google. Does anyone know what he was talking about?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Dench

Post by Dench »

There is no such thing
Alfox94

Post by Alfox94 »

Dench wrote:There is no such thing
I have to agree, I've never herd of such a thing :confused:
Thanks for reading.....
- Brad :spyder:

Want: Para-Military II, Carbon Fibre UKPK, Black FRN UKPK, Bi-Fold.
justinl

Post by justinl »

technically there's no blade limit on folders in BC. That said, of my friends, I know of ONE that carries a knife everyday besides myself. It's sad really. The unfortunate consequence is of course that police will likely freak for the slightest cause and confiscate your blade even if it is legal. I admit I don't know about fixed blade carry, but given the population of sheeple, I wouldn't bother trying.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

justinl wrote:technically there's no blade limit on folders in BC. That said, of my friends, I know of ONE that carries a knife everyday besides myself. It's sad really. The unfortunate consequence is of course that police will likely freak for the slightest cause and confiscate your blade even if it is legal. I admit I don't know about fixed blade carry, but given the population of sheeple, I wouldn't bother trying.
You just need a larger circle of friends ;)

And for the record there is no blade length restriction period, doesn't matter if it is a folder, a fixed blade a freaking broadsword. You are allowed to carry whatever you want (as long as it isn't a gravity knife or an auto) AND provided you can justify it as a utility tool...which usually rules out swords. I've carried a knife for over 8 years, ranging from a cricket, endura, gunting, and police. I have never had trouble with any officers and some of those knives stand out a bit more than others...

In my opinion police will only "freak out and confiscate the blade" if you give them reason to. If you treat them with respect, you act like a mature adult and you act responsible and you shouldn't have a problem. The only people I have ever heard of losing knives, and I've heard a lot of stories because I work in a knife store, usually tend to be people who in my opinion deserved it because they were disrespecting the maturity needed to carry a knife.

Plus it depends where in BC you are. If you are in Vancouver or any part of the Lower Mainland of course reactions are going to be different than in the Interior and other rural areas, same can be said for guns as well.

Also the only thing you need a license for is a gun.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Thanks for all the responses. I can see Victoria, BC from my window and get over to BC regularly. I'll continue to carry a knife.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897