Looking for a sub-compact tactical light, suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tacticooledc

Looking for a sub-compact tactical light, suggestions?

Post by tacticooledc »

I've been sporting a Fenix LD20, and its been great but for some reason after 30 minutes of use the light drops a few levels of brightness. Like I will turn it on, it will be at a level or two below maximum output (180 luments) for like half a second, and then drop down 2 or 3 more levels and stay at that. I'm running kirkland (costco) batteries and thought the light was supposed to be electronically regulated to stay at the same output until battery death :confused:

Anyway, my choice so far is a Fenix PD20 CREE Q5 light that uses cr123a batteries and has an output similar to my old light, however I'm worried about the same problem since its the same company as my old light.

So basically I'm looking for a 3-inch or so light that has an output >150 lumens. Oh yeah, preferably in the same price range as the PD20 ($50-80)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Check out the Zebralight SC51 (1 AA 200 lumen) or the Nitecore Extreme (1 CR123 220 lumen).

Of the two the Nitecore has a strike bezel and tail clicky. Prob more along you tactical tastes.

Note: If it's 30 mins straight it's prob having heat probs too. Unless your running a larger tactical light or a moderately driven small one these will be problems. You could set the Nitecore for the alternate setting around 150 lumens and run it a long time. The ZL on the lower high (2L, 2M, 2H, stobe) is like 100 lumens I think and will run cool. Both are very bright and rated out the front.

I'd get a larger light if your looking for more than about 5-10 mins on high. Your gonna run into heat or capacity probs.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

tacticooledc wrote:I've been sporting a Fenix LD20, and its been great but for some reason after 30 minutes of use the light drops a few levels of brightness. Like I will turn it on, it will be at a level or two below maximum output (180 luments) for like half a second, and then drop down 2 or 3 more levels and stay at that. I'm running kirkland (costco) batteries and thought the light was supposed to be electronically regulated to stay at the same output until battery death :confused:
There's your problem, nothing wrong with the light, it's just doing what it's suppose to do. Alkaline batteries can't handle the load and will do the same thing no matter what light you run them in.

Get quality rechargeable or lithium batteries and you'll see the difference.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That's where I was confused. I didn't know they sold CR123's at Costco.

The note about Alkalines is very true. The ZL will do 200 lumens for over an hr on a single Eneloop AA. These days the only lights I go lithium (even rechargeable) are the ones being pushes on IMRs. Just too annoying to worry about checking voltage.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

You can't go wrong with the 4-Sevens lights. Specifically, the Quark line. They make a tactical UI, a regular UI, and a mini version - with a variety of battery options. GREAT lights for the money. I have five of their lights myself.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

30 mins on turbo mode will overwhelm the heatsink capacity and the thermo protection circuit will kick down the output. I would get some eleloops and avoid alkaline batteries anyway. I lost a light due to battery leakage and alkaline batteries can't keep up with output demand.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I like the quark 123 series of lights. The "tactical" version has the forward-clicky switch. They have lights that use both one or two 123 batteries. My 123-2 has survived several drops onto pavement, and has a nice sturdy pocket clip.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

I believe the Streamlight PT-1L falls within your criteria. I've had mine for a year and I've been happy with it.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Blerv wrote:That's where I was confused. I didn't know they sold CR123's at Costco.

The note about Alkalines is very true. The ZL will do 200 lumens for over an hr on a single Eneloop AA. These days the only lights I go lithium (even rechargeable) are the ones being pushes on IMRs. Just too annoying to worry about checking voltage.
My fenix LD20 runs on AA's, not cr123's.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Hard decision....I really like the way fenix makes their products look and feel, all metallic and sturdy as ****- but the nitecore and zebralight seem to have the advantage in performance...
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

dsmegst wrote:30 mins on turbo mode will overwhelm the heatsink capacity and the thermo protection circuit will kick down the output. I would get some eleloops and avoid alkaline batteries anyway. I lost a light due to battery leakage and alkaline batteries can't keep up with output demand.
It wasn't 30 minutes straight, it was 30 minutes total over the course of maybe a week. I'm guessing its the cheap costco batteries, will try some pricy ones soon. Either going to order the surefires or the sanyo's
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ah I gotcha. Yea the ZL was optimized for Eneloops and gets over an hr of runtime at max bright. I'd pick up a charger with a couple for like $14 and you will be set :) .

I like my CR123 lights but with how compact the ZL is and the performance few can keep up. The sc51w is the neutral tint and it does 179 lumens out the front even. Once I got used to the side click button and UI the traditional L/M/H cycle lights frustrate me.

Not tryin to be a spokesperson, hehe. All above are great choices really. AA batts are just a little lower maintenance...toss em in the charger and never check voltages.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

tacticooledc wrote:It wasn't 30 minutes straight, it was 30 minutes total over the course of maybe a week. I'm guessing its the cheap costco batteries, will try some pricy ones soon. Either going to order the surefires or the sanyo's
Costco batteries are actually pretty good as far as alkalilne goes, it's just a general weakness with this type of battery. You can buy the most expensive duracell alkaline and they'll do the same thing.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

tacticooledc wrote:I've been sporting a Fenix LD20, and its been great but for some reason after 30 minutes of use the light drops a few levels of brightness. Like I will turn it on, it will be at a level or two below maximum output (180 luments) for like half a second, and then drop down 2 or 3 more levels and stay at that. I'm running kirkland (costco) batteries and thought the light was supposed to be electronically regulated to stay at the same output until battery death :confused:

Anyway, my choice so far is a Fenix PD20 CREE Q5 light that uses cr123a batteries and has an output similar to my old light, however I'm worried about the same problem since its the same company as my old light.

So basically I'm looking for a 3-inch or so light that has an output >150 lumens. Oh yeah, preferably in the same price range as the PD20 ($50-80)
i have the fenix pd30 r5.... awesomr light