Best place to Live in America

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Best place to Live in America

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Tell me the best place to live in America and why...maybe I'll move there....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I studied the matter in 1995. The combination of mild climate, natural beauty, vast expanses of protected salt water, etc. focussed my attention on Puget Sound.

Sequim, with average annual rainfall of 17 inches is the best of the best. After becoming disabled I moved here 3 years ago to a large cedar log cabin on a couple of acres with fabulous views of the Olympic mountains and the Salish Sea.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Wow Doc. Best is kind of subjective. Do you mean pretty? Cost of living & jobs? Political climate? Environmental conditions?

If I was independently wealthy and could choose anywhere I'd go to Northern Idaho. Lake Cor'delane is about the prettiest area I've seen. It sure gets cold there though.

Pretty close to the Yellowstone supervolcano which , for me, removes some otherwise great areas from consideration.

The eastern side of the mountains in Virginia and NC are pretty nice all around.

Etc.

If you get a large survival compound and need a caretaker with his own guns, knives and dogs let me know. :)

http://www.relocationessentials.com/aff ... y/col.aspx

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Douglas County Colorado, in the foothills to be more exact. Close enough to both Denver and Colorado Springs to have access to anything you would need, but rural enough not to feel crowded. Nice weather, in both the summer and winter months. And, best of all, close enough to the SFO that you can go there to purchase our knives directly from the source.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

No brainer for me. Anywhere there is decent surfing. I lived where surfing was popular with pretty nice waves for about 4 years when I was in my early 20s. Average was a 3 - 6 foot face. At this size you won't get killed (probably) but it is lots of fun and you stay in great shape. I've been within 10 feet of surfacing porpoises, paddled up to a sea turtle with about a 3' shell and slapped him on the back. He watched me get closer and went under when I hit him (softly). Yes, sharks too but nothing is perfect. I've surfed when there was snow on the ground on a trip north. Had to get booties and gloves for my wet suit. The air was cold but the water was worse than any bucket of ice water you've ever had dumped on you in the shower. :D You just get used to it. The firt head dunk of the day will take your breath though. The memories are flooding. Haven't thought about this in years. TONS of stories. I could go on and on but I'll stop.

Jack
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

South Carolina is nice, low taxes, low cost living.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

GOLDEN, of course!

Seriously though, I would like to move to Denver or Colorado Springs.
Corvid1

Post by Corvid1 »

Anywhere on the California coast; from Ventura north to the California/Oregon border. I’m from Ventura and I’d move home in a heartbeat if it were possible. My children and tribal affiliation hold me here, in Wisconsin. Although I’ve never felt that I belong – I’m a Californian!

tim
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

There is only one place in this country to live... everywhere else is just a nice place to rest on the way to Texas. :cool: :p

Come on down to the Lone Star State Doc. We have a climate for every taste somewhere in the state. While we are pretty much up to our quota on shrinks... always room for another good firearms instructor :p . Property is cheap, the women are friendly, and Texas BBQ is the best in the world... why even consider anywhere else? :D :D
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Corvid1 wrote:Anywhere on the California coast; from Ventura north to the California/Oregon border.
Half the people I meet here in Sequim are from California. I think many would have stayed there if they could afford it.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Seattle

Post by Blerv »

The NW in general has access to large cities, lakes, mountains, snow and desert within a few hour drive.

Seattle is a fun city because it mixes fancy commerce with granola quirkiness. You can wear jeans and a jacket to the nicest restaurant in the city and people don't know if you are a programmer, stock broker, or salesperson at a hardware store.

According to my brother it also has a very healthy and diverse martial arts community.

PS: We can't carry fixed blades but 3.5 folders are good to go. That may be the clincher for you though! Haha :p
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I really like Florida. Relatively low cost of living while remaining on the coast (CA was always attractive to me but it is a very expensive place to live). Great fishing, boating and beaches. Very warm and mild winters.

That said, I ideally would like to have 2 places. I would stay in FL for the winter and somewhere up in the frozen north for the summer. Probably not the answer you are looking for but it's the best of both worlds.
Captron

Post by Captron »

Sequimite wrote:I studied the matter in 1995. The combination of mild climate, natural beauty, vast expanses of protected salt water, etc. focussed my attention on Puget Sound.

Sequim, with average annual rainfall of 17 inches is the best of the best. After becoming disabled I moved here 3 years ago to a large cedar log cabin on a couple of acres with fabulous views of the Olympic mountains and the Salish Sea.
Have brother-in-law in Lacey. Usually go up there every year. Have been to Squim. Planned to move to Gig Island. Then kids moved back to CA. Don't know if I could put up with the gloomy weather part of the year. Puget Sound is water all over and green trees down to the water. Spent eight weeks in Seattle many years ago. It rained every day. Heard Squim has the most sunny weather in Washington. Have been in San Jose forty years and like our neighborhood and the weather can't be beat. Can get any kind of food here and San Francisco is not to far from this North Beach native. Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and San Francisco Bay and Delta are an hour or so drive to drop boat in the water for some fishing.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Def not myrtle beach, sc. Lol.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Anywhere outside of New York City. :D

My brother makes it seem like there is more of a fighting crowd/people training to fight on the West Coast.

Good luck Doc. It would take a lot to make most people want to up and move.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Where ever I am at the moment. I am simply that good.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Vermont has maybe the best gun & knife laws of any state, and lots of natural beauty. The largest city here (Burlington) has a population of less than 40,000. The people are decent, friendly, sensible (for the most part), and have a live and let live attitude. Montreal and Boston are within easy driving distance, if you need a dose of big city now and then.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

North Dakota, Kansas, Texas...maybe Alaska?
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

My best place to live is a fifth wheel travel trailer going south in the winter and north in the summer and staying in gun friendly states for a few weeks at a time going in each direction.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin