edc flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Popsickle

edc flashlight

Post by Popsickle »

i have no idea where to look or what to look for. I'm looking for something for edc. nothing bulky, reasonable price, different settings. any advice would be great thanks.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

First question is what batteries you would like to use. Primaries or rechargeables? What Size batteries? 16340, 18650, AA, AAA, cr2?

You may want to look at JetBeam, 4 seven's, O-light, Fenix or Nightcore. They all make reasonable priced quality lights with lot of battery and size options. If you want to spend more money you could also look at Surefire lights.

My personal favorite light is a JetBeam 3M, it's very bright, has a user programmable brightness setting, can use different battery options (1x 18650, 2x 16340, 2x cr123) and I also often carry a small stainless aaa sized light when the JetBeam is too big.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

i like this one so far, rechargable batteries sounds great to me.

http://www.flashlightsplus.com/olight/t20.html
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

http://www.4sevens.com has a wide range of lights. I currently edc a 4sevens brand "quark 123-2 tactical" model. It uses two cr123 batteries that lasted 9 months of daily use before needing a change, has a sturdy pocket clip, and has survived several drops from pocket height onto pavement.

I like it because it's plenty bright with a smooth beam, is large enough to fill my hand and can be used as an impact weapon, but not so large that it's obtrusive in my pocket. 4sevens does put out runs of lights with different LEDs in varying warmths of light, ranging from cool (almost blue) to warm (yellow). My EDC light is a "neutral" color, but I think it's out of stock. Here's a similar model:
[url=http:/http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... s_id=2502/]http:/http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... s_id=2502/[/url]
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I like the carryability of the Fenix P2D. 1 CR123 low, medium, and high of about 180 lumens. Bright enough for most everything you'd need to light up with.Small enough that it's absolutely no hassle to EDC. Dc'd now but there's an updated model, I think.

[img][IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8725/p2dinhand.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
2cha

Post by 2cha »

4Sevens and Fenix or Novatec in the "affordable" range. I have 2 4Sevens lights. They are loaded with functions one you learn the morse code like system for adjustments. I had a warranty issue and it was solved within 4 weeks. Pretty darn quick in my mind.

HDS systems is the bomb and bombproof. Learned about them here on the forums. If you want to have any money left for knives, don't buy one of these,... You could help support our country by buying one though as they are made in the US.

Surefire: expensive, excellent, USA made.

Prettiest flashlights IMO made by PEAK LED and for sale mostly on a goofy, old fashioned website called RMSK, Inc. Don't let the website fool you, both the service and the lights are excellent. They don't have (or at least I haven't noticed) adjustable lights. Wonderfully machined out of aluminum, brass, stainless and titanium right here in the USA.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I love my 4 Sevens Quark 123x2. It pretty much cured me of the need to get more flashlights.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_305

It's great how it can go from a very low setting that won't affect your night vision (or disturb your spouse) to maximum output, with a simple twist of the head. It's also relatively easy to find the right setting in between.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
unit

Post by unit »

catamount wrote:I love my 4 Sevens Quark 123x2. It pretty much cured me of the need to get more flashlights.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_305
Tom,

I always have a hard time reading these product descriptions, and since you have one, you can probably tell me. If you walk around with the bezel of the light fully tightened, will the light be on "Max" when you turn it on? From the literature it appears (to my limited intellect) that you have to turn it on then tighten the bezel to access "Max" (hopefully my interpretation is wrong).

Thanks
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
raven

Post by raven »

I have three Olights (two for duty purposes) ...all are fantastic and have no issues with them. The two I use for duty will be to large to carry as and EDC.

I just recently grabbed a Nitecore Extreme, but the modes can be a bit difficult to figure out (at least for me :rolleyes :) .

I would can suggest looking at the Klarus NT10 (takes 1 CR123 Battery). It's perfect for EDC and simplet to use. BTW, High Mode is 230 lumens and decently priced.

If you want to get some additional info go to Candle Power Forums or check goinggear.com Going Gear has a lot of very good light reviews on video that compare the different lights. They carry a huge selection of different brands including all that are mentioned above. Just a suggestion ...good luck, Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Donut

Post by Donut »

unit wrote:Tom,

I always have a hard time reading these product descriptions, and since you have one, you can probably tell me. If you walk around with the bezel of the light fully tightened, will the light be on "Max" when you turn it on? From the literature it appears (to my limited intellect) that you have to turn it on then tighten the bezel to access "Max" (hopefully my interpretation is wrong).

Thanks
I have all tactical models, but from my understanding and experience with Fenix (which is very similar), I think you are right that the light will be on Max when you turn it on, no twisting required.

The manual should read, with the head twisted tight and not by twisting the head tight.

That is one of my irks about the normal model. I use low 98% of the time, I don't like using a light that needs to have loose threads in normal operation. With the tactical I set the head tightened as my low and head loosened as high. I don't have to worry about changing modes from clicking, it is always low until I loosen the head.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I carry the Surefire E1L Outdoorsman, small light, only uses 1 battery, tactical bevel KL1ce on the adapter, plenty of powerful light...just an all around great light...I have had others but this one is the most cost effective and convenient....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I would go with a Sure 6PX Pro. Dual-output at 200 and 15 lumens, only $79, LED driven so it's pretty much bomb-proof, and you can easily use it as an effective bonk-stick if you have to.

If I carry an EDC light, I would want as much potential uses out of it as possible.
Donut

Post by Donut »

psychophipps wrote: If I carry an EDC light, I would want as much potential uses out of it as possible.
You could carry one of those SAK's with the tiny light on it. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I can't say enough good things about 4Sevens and some of the other major brands.

My EDC light of choice is a Zebralight SC51w (neutral tint). Cool side-clicky, deep carry clip, genius interface, and 170+ lumens on a single AA (200 for the SC51 cool). It's nice not having to cycle through modes but rather to instantly go where you want.

I use primary and rechargeable lithium lights too but they are kinda a pain compared to the world of AA's.
raven

Post by raven »

All you flashaholics might like this ;) . I mentioned the Klarus earlier and the only reason is, because most haven't heard of the Klarus brand. It has some pretty cool functions that make it easy to use. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

Here ya go ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2i1ur6T ... detailpage

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I carry a key chain mounted AAA 4sevens Preon Revo and a 4sevens Quark AA (regular) stays in the car. Around the house, I use a 2xAA Fenix LD20 or a 4sevens 2xCR-123A Maelstrom G5. There's also a Fenix 2xCR-123A PD30 in my laptop bag.

The most convenient choice is to stick with AAA or AA/2xAA lights. Grab some rechargeable Eneloops for them and you're good to go. Even a single AA light can produce something around 90 lumen and AAA lights go up to 80 lumen. Compare that to a conventional 4D cell Maglite at 72 lumen.

For maximum output, you have to look at other battery types like CR-123A or non-standard sized batteries that require special chargers or pay for Primary (non-rechargeable) batteries. Now you're talking about 300+ lumens and tons of choices, configuration and prices. Sort of like the highend production knife market.

Good luck. I like Fenix and 4sevens lights for their value and quality. They remind me of Taiwan-made Spydies. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

jwrickma24 wrote:i like this one so far, rechargable batteries sounds great to me.

http://www.flashlightsplus.com/olight/t20.html
Myself, and two other people I know all EDC that one and we're all very happy with it. Other previous EDC lights for me have been a Surefire G2L and a Streamlight PT-1L. I'd recommend any of them.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

In terms of something to actually carry easily all the time, my favorites are the 4sevens Preon 1 and the 4Sevens mini 123. I think you just can't beat wither one for what they are. Ultra compact, bright, relatively inexpensive

My others are mostly surefire and are all of the 2 battery type, so all are larger than I'd want to carry all the time
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

My favorite small EDC lights are discontinued (Nitecore D10, Jetbeam BK135A), but the aforementioned Zebralight SC51w is a good choice. My only issue with their flashlights are that they turn on too easily in the pocket (Their headlamps are my favorite, bar none.).
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Donut

Post by Donut »

yowzer wrote:My favorite small EDC lights are discontinued (Nitecore D10, Jetbeam BK135A), but the aforementioned Zebralight SC51w is a good choice. My only issue with their flashlights are that they turn on too easily in the pocket (Their headlamps are my favorite, bar none.).
Yeah, but the D11 is out. Isn't that basically the same thing?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.