Punching Bags

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Punching Bags

Post by Blerv »

I just picked up a Century Body Opponent Bag (B.O.B.) last week and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Filled with water and a bit of bleach (to prevent mildew) it's a pretty resilient target. Soft enough to punch bare knuckle a bit times but not squishy enough to pound away carefree. Compared to a sand-filled bag it gives quite a bit more.

I picked up a pair of Amber handwraps and have been focusing on targeting which is a perk of BOB. It's easier to punch classic areas like ribs and solar plexus when they are clearly defined. More obscure targets like the liver, arm pits, and places on the jaw-line are easy too. I still think a pair of gloves are in order for heavy pummeling...or perhaps my hands just have to get used to smacking things.

All in all I'm quite pleased. It bounces around a bit more than it would with sand instead probably. It's also not quite as soft while residing in my 30ish degree garage. Still, a fun way to release frustration while working on targeting that might save your life someday. He's even tough enough to take stick blows and stable enough for some shoving.

Oh, and he's ugly as sin representing every older jock I remembered from High School years ago.

10/10 for targeting and fun
7/10 for a freestanding punching bag.

Price: $260 shipped.

Anyone else do bag work or have recommendations?
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

Sounds like a good purchase. Most of my heavy bag work these days is on a Century Muay Thai bag, with my old Everlast bag being used for ground striking. I keep playing with the idea of getting a B.O.B. to add some additional options for targeting training. I'm glad to hear that it holds up to stick strikes as that was something I was wondering myself. Thanks for the post and keep us updated on what you think of it. (What I mean is... help me decide if I need one or not haha)
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I take it you don't like Starbucks ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SteelDragon wrote:I take it you don't like Starbucks ;)
Haha!

I worked there for almost 3 years. That is one of the official shirts we bought and were allowed to wear on Fridays. If you can believe it that logo is the size of a Frisbee which makes is awkward for anything but Barista'ing. :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JabFynger wrote:Sounds like a good purchase. Most of my heavy bag work these days is on a Century Muay Thai bag, with my old Everlast bag being used for ground striking. I keep playing with the idea of getting a B.O.B. to add some additional options for targeting training. I'm glad to hear that it holds up to stick strikes as that was something I was wondering myself. Thanks for the post and keep us updated on what you think of it. (What I mean is... help me decide if I need one or not haha)
Yea I hear real Muay Thai bags or Wavemaster XXL's are way better/stable for power strikes.

BOB's cool for stuff that is hard to imagine without anatomical features. Head slaps, pushing, pulling, clinch range strikes, etc. I think you can even practice chokes on him.

I did keep the box though and cover him when not in use. The garage is creepy enough without a leg-less ruffian lurking in the shadows. :)
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

Blerv wrote: I did keep the box though and cover him when not in use. The garage is creepy enough without a leg-less ruffian lurking in the shadows. :)
Ha! I'll bet. When I first got it the six foot tall, black Thai bag in the middle of my dark basement was enough to make you jump when you first got down the steps...and don't even get me started on the dog's reaction to it haha
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

i have a 90lb bag with mma training wraps and a metal stand that sits on my porch. awesome workout
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

That's pretty funny, reminds me of my LE training. We had a BOB and even funnier was the fact that the main instructor was named Bob. So when we weren't challenging the "real life" Bob and getting our asses worked we then later got to take it out on the other BOB...
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I always wanted to punch a Starbucks worker.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I always make my own bags...this way I really get to simulate the human body to some degree...It's very inexpensive to make...like under $20 and works well for the training that I do...
I take an old Army Navy Duffel Bag (the one with solid rivets for closure at the top) I put 20lbs of sand on the bottom (in plastic) (this represents the bony hip area) I use this area for mostly kicks and knee strikes) then I put lot's of clothes inside, next when near the top I place another 20lbs of sand to squish down the clothes tight, (the tight clothes area is the mid-section and I really get to wail away with all my strength hitting this area.... the sand on top it represents the head and face area...They I tie off the top through the rivets with wire...go to the hardware store and buy a pivoting hanger and then I'm set...BOB is a good idea but pricey if you ask me...regular training bags don't represent the human body and you need to wear speed gloves so as not to mess up your hands....Just my 2 cents....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Boxing is great exercise so I'm all about any excuse to go out into the garage and beat the crap out of something. $260 may seem pricey but if you are going to use it, it's money well spent in my book.
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I've used BOB bags in my school for years now. It's great for combatives classes! I have one in my basement too. I have it dressed with a jacket and a shemagh. It's pointed toward the downstairs window. When people visit the house they always jump when they catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of their eye.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/