Looking your age? Rant.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GohawnFG

Looking your age? Rant.

Post by GohawnFG »

I realize this is vastly unnecessary, but it has really been bothering me all day and I feel the need to get it out.

Disclaimer: This is purely a rant to vent my frustration! Please do not take anything TOO seriously. Thanks!

I'm 20 and in college. I'm usually the youngest amongst my friends 'cause my birthday is in October. No problems there, I don't mind being young or old and I take it as it is.

So this past weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to get away from things and spend a night together(sort of a post-Vday thing, 'cause we always do it late to avoid crowds and such). I went to the car to get something, but left the key card in the room and couldn't get back into the building without it. So I pulled out my phone to call my girlfriend to come and let me in. After 5 calls, she hadn't answered and a couple guys were heading in the door on the opposite side, so I motioned them over to let me in. One of the guys stared at me for about 5 seconds, and walked over extremely cautiously and opened the door asking, "What room are you in?" I answered, and he opened the door a bit wider to let me through. I was in the middle of thanking him when he asked, "Are you here with your parents?" I sort of paused and said, "No, with my girlfriend." He just stared at me blankly, "Oh. Well uh, have fun then."

I'm not very surprised, granted I stand 5' 4" and admit I look about 16. I had a good laugh about it after getting back in the room and promptly forgot about it. The next day, we checked out of the room and I suggested visiting an army surplus in the area. I'd only been to one other B&M place, so I was extremely excited at being able to handle some nice blades. My excitement only grew when we got there, and I started shooting my mouth off to my girlfriend about all the knives. I couldn't help naming them as I saw 'em, and we were having a **** of a time. The lady behind the counter was helping some other people out, so I made a mental note of which knives I wanted to handle later and looked around the store until she was done. I may just be bitter here, but this lady looked like she hated her life and had the most irritating attitude. She quickly brushed off inquiring customers, and acted like she would rather be shoveling dung than talking to you. I was too excited about the knives to care much, so I asked to see a couple. For the second knife, I asked if she had its box. She looked at me and with the most ridiculing look on her face said, "I hope I do. But you know that you need to be 18 to buy a knife right?"

I was potentially going to make a purchase, but decided against it. Even if I wasn't bitter about it, her attitude was ridiculous. Having been shot down twice in 24 hours, I thought back to when I was 18 and applying to be a volunteer at a teachers' supply warehouse. The lady there was very nice and helpful at the time, and asked if I had parental consent because I had to be over 16 to volunteer :(

VERY sorry for how long this turned out to be guys. I realize it's not the end of the world and I am still a kid anyway. I just find it frustrating and feel kinda looked down upon. The fact that my girlfriend is 4 years older than me but looks like she's still in high school doesn't help either. This kind of brings me back to when I heard a comedian say that Asian people tend to look either 5, or 500. I'd like to rant more, but if you've gotten this far I commend you for it and I'll spare you :D Thanks for lending an ear(or eye)!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I just hate it when you have to deal with people who seem to have no idea that they're working in customer service...
I'm around the same age, though I probably look at least as old as I am, people very rarely ask for an ID. But I still feel your frustration.
Maybe you'll have to do a make-over and grow a beard or something. :D
That's what I did and now most people from 4 years back have no idea who i am. :p
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Enjoy it. I have the opposite problem. I could buy my own beer when I was 15. The only time I was ever asked for I.D. in a bar was at the Enlisted Club at Pearl Harbor where they asked for everyone's Military I.D. I even had one woman tell me she didn't need to see mine when she asked everyone in our group for I.D. and I was the youngest one.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

yablanowitz wrote:I could buy my own beer when I was 15.
Not sure that counts as a problem. :D

But as posted above, live it up. You'll probably be looking great when you're 60.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

You may not look like a cranky old man, but you're getting the 'tude about right. ;)

Relax, the sales person may have been worn out showing knives to a 16 year old then not able to make a sale. Since you know you look youthful, keep that in mind and approach people accordingly.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Thanks for the uplift guys. Yeah, I guess I wouldn't call this a 'problem', but it sure does ruin the fun. It makes me a lot more cautious too, when I need to pull out and use my EDC. I'm sure an LEO wouldn't be very happy to see a little boy with a knife.
Creepo wrote:I just hate it when you have to deal with people who seem to have no idea that they're working in customer service...
I'm around the same age, though I probably look at least as old as I am, people very rarely ask for an ID. But I still feel your frustration.
Maybe you'll have to do a make-over and grow a beard or something. :D
That's what I did and now most people from 4 years back have no idea who i am. :p
Yeah, it makes me weary to go back there again. And I'm about as hairy as a naked mole rat, so I won't have too much luck there :D

yablanowitz wrote:Enjoy it. I have the opposite problem. I could buy my own beer when I was 15. The only time I was ever asked for I.D. in a bar was at the Enlisted Club at Pearl Harbor where they asked for everyone's Military I.D. I even had one woman tell me she didn't need to see mine when she asked everyone in our group for I.D. and I was the youngest one.
Haha, well all I can do is buy a movie ticket at a kids' price :p
Handwrecker wrote:Not sure that counts as a problem. :D

But as posted above, live it up. You'll probably be looking great when you're 60.
Thanks, that I'll probably enjoy, until I make the leap to looking 500.
Pinetreebbs wrote:You may not look like a cranky old man, but you're getting the 'tude about right. ;)

Relax, the sales person may have been worn out showing knives to a 16 year old then not able to make a sale. Since you know you look youthful, keep that in mind and approach people accordingly.
Yeah, I get the idea she felt that she was wasting her time showing knives to a 16 year old. But then again, I get the idea that she feels she's wasting her time just being in the shop.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i had a similiar situation happen to a group of us when we were young, 19-22 years old. my buddy was buying a pack of cigarettes and the guy at the 7-11 type store said he was going to need ID to buy them. My friend replied hang on, let me get some beer to go with the cigs (he was 22). me and my friends are all white, this clerk said i don't have to sell to a bunch of N@@@@@ (insert racial slur) So my other friend being quick on his feet says my girlfriend is black...wtf did you just say. a little arguing ensues and the clerk calls the cops. quess what, 2 black cops show up and after listening to both sides, they weren't too happy about the guys choice of words. we walked out with the 6pack and cigarettes for free and the cops were still talking to the owner when we left.

reading your story just brought that memory back and i thought it was funny. back to your rant. some guys just look young, i work with a fireman that is 40 and he looks like he is 16, that and he is short as well. his daughter's friends (she is in college) hit on him before they found out that he was their friend's Dad. The moral is that you are going to probably getting carded for at least the next 10 years so just laugh it off and show them your ID with a big smile on your face, that will probably make the cranky people even more pissed.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I too look much younger than I am. In fact, for almost twenty years I have had to show ID just to buy a drink or on occassion see a rated R movie. I am very used to it and now that those occasssions are becoming fewer and fewer I kind of miss it. I always get a kick out of how people mistake me for being younger. I will be 41 this year and still pass for early 20's on occassion.

Enjoy it, it can be fun at times!
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

GohawnFG wrote: I'm 20 and in college.
I stand 5' 4" and admit I look about 16.
First and foremost YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am in the same position as you only 21.

I am the same height(and probably weight) as you and while sometimes its a pain in the butt I dont really mind it. I have experienced the same type of scenarios as you. Yea, it bugs me a bit but heh... could be worst. I have a friend who is also on the small side like us and it bothers the heck out of him. Really kills him.... I say sure it would nice to be taller but its not like were the only ones who are small.

I do have some trouble finding clothes, mostly the "tactical" type stuff like cargos, BDU's, jackets, etc. But really everything else comes in small size.
Also when I go and buy a lottery ticket(feeling lucky) they ALWAYS ID me...

The only problem I see about being small is that I will be becoming a police officer(in schooling now) and my size might be a little bit of a problem as some places even have a height requirement. As far as being small and dealing with the public.... Gotta do what ya gotta do... I deal with the public now and have no problem. Just have to show them who is boss.

As long as you act your age and show people your maturity I do not think your height should be a problem. When I go to school I do not dress like I am young, I dress with a nice shirt, pair of shoes, and laptop case, etc so when people see me they do not immediately think "high school kid". You will be surprised but you can get more respect that way. Even when dealing with police(living in NYC, officers usually do bag checks in the subway)

Oh yea, I tend to not shave for a few days too, makes my look older :cool:
Come Join Us Click Here
Corvid1

Post by Corvid1 »

Enjoy your youth; it is fleeting. When I was your age, I had the same “problem”. I was 31, the last time I was carded at a bar.
Now, at 61 and cannot believe how quickly time has past (my son will be 30 this year). Savor it, every single minute of it – it’s a gift, the likes of which you’ll never see again. But never forget how it feels – that will last a lifetime.

Caw, caw, caw!
tim
Tank

Post by Tank »

Knowing that you look young and will be asked for ID and your age, you should be open minded about it. I had that problem when I was young but now that I am in my 40's its a good thing cuz when people try to guess my age they usually say late 20's early 30's and that I don't mind at all.
-John
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I was like Yab, I could drive right by a cop at 15, and buy beer and hard liquor at 16 without ever getting asked for proof. Being 6' 2" may have helped, but I also just "looked older" than I was. Was less pleased when waitresses started handing me the "senior menu" when I hit 50. Had a friend like you, slightly built with a "baby face" who was still getting proofed at 25. Of course he could still get into the movies at half price, and some other places for free, when he was 18, while my mom started getting called a liar when I was 8. Benefits and curses both ways.

Clerk had no right to be rude, but every right to ask politely for proof if you were purchasing an "age restricted" item. Times have changed, there are places around here that won't sell beer to anyone without seeing a drivers license, so at 65 I'm getting "proofed".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

I'm in my twenties and got carded at my own place of work buying an R-rated movie haha It can be annoying. It's not so much being carded that's insulting (it's their job)... it's the way many people go about it. I agree that some people really need to find less abrasive ways to make sure you're of age. There's been plenty of sellers who have lost my business because of the attitude they took when verifying that I was old enough. The best is at gun shows when you get treated like crap by a skeptic, then walk five feet to the next table and make a purchase in plain sight of the guy that just lost your business :D
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I completely feel your pain bud.

This is a perfect example of horrible customer service. People stereotype based on looks all the time and it's not just on age. I've seen millionaires snubbed by high-end mall staff assuming they can't afford a $500 purse...just because they were wearing their weekend attire.

The world of fun opens up in your late teens and early 20s and I remember being bothered when people assumed I was younger. It felt like it took forever to earn the dang right to buy a knife from a sporting goods store or a six-pack of beer. The leer of a grizzled old person pissed me off because I figured they owed me an ounce of respect to at least peacefully ask to see my ID. After a while I just started pre-flashing it like a, "yea I'll save your job for you" and I still do it Today. They are usually shocked and stop you before your wallet flips open but it's a nice way to be back in charge.

Retail food/sales workers tend to think they are great at reading people. This is mostly true. They typically can figure out what the person wants, which of the couple is the buyer, and basic ages. The PROBLEM is they are often wrong which results in insulted people (like you) or them getting fired.

Every time I go to a liquor store and they don't card me I just want to reach over and backhand the salesperson. You know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:

As for the rest of the world thinking you look young...it will be appreciated later on. Basically from 30 till you die. Haha!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I went bowling with my older brother on Saturday. I'm 31, he's 32. I think I look younger than him. He asked for a beer, they carded him, gave him a wrist band... I asked for a beer and they just gave me one. He laughed about it, it was pretty funny. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Warning, additional rant content: :mad:

One more comment about sales people, welcome to the world of minimum wage employees. Raised by parents that don't know a thing about manners let alone teaching them to own children. They are managed by a person making about .10 an hour more whose only other benefit is making said employee's life miserable. They were never taught you get back what you send out.

End rant. :)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

This is great guys, I didn't know there were so many of you out there :p

Here's something that I only have myself to blame: I don't have a Government issued ID. Basically I've spent the last four years intending on getting my drivers license. I have my third provisional permit now, and the problem is I've never gotten far enough to take the actual driving test :D My permits have expired before I've been able to. It's one of those things that seemingly never gets done for some reason or another. The lack of motivation stems from the fact that I don't have the need to go anywhere, and even if I did I wouldn't have a car to do so. My family owns a Honda Odyssey, and sorry, but I really don't want/need to drive that thing. My mom spends half her life in it so I won't have a chance anyway. I did apply for an ID at the DMV years ago, but that was before my wallet was lost/stolen. Now I just can't justify spending the $30 or so for a replacement if I'm going to get my DL sooner or later anyway. All excuses aside, I know that it'd be better to just have it for the sake of having one.

cosmo7809--I agree that sometimes I wish clothes and every other thing came in more small sizes. I have somewhat of a hard time finding something slim fit. As for the way I dress, it's definitely not the most formal. It doesn't scream "high school" either though. I was wearing jeans and a track jacket at the knife store the other day. I think my excitement (kid at a candy store) made me seem a lot younger.

JabFynger--That's the most satisfying :D I actually wanted to retort the salesperson's attitude, but I'm generally a quiet person and I hate making a scene.

I definitely feel that I deserve an ounce of respect if only from the seller/buyer relationship. The clerk had every right to ask for my ID, but she didn't actually ask for it. More like, she told me to go play on the playground with my friends. I found it really inappropriate.

As far as customer service goes, this hardly grazes the surface of my experiences. One of the most annoying happens at restaurants. I walk in and they look at me from head to toe. When taking my order the waitress looks off into the distance, and if she weren't writing on her little pad I'd have thought she was ignoring me. Then she stares at me the whole time I'm eating. I won't ask them to wait on me hand and foot, but their attitude tells me "Eat faster, leave me a huge tip, and GTFO, kid." Really dampens my mood.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GohawnFG wrote:
I'm 20 and in college.

admit I look about 16.
Just wait few years and everybody will be jealous. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
unit

Post by unit »

Dude, enjoy it! I was the same way when I was your age. Now I am nearly twice your age and I still get carded half the time I try to buy beer (especially if I have not shaved in a couple days and my pathetic "beard" is in bloom).

Just rest easy knowing that you will learn from this...not to judge people by their appearance ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My hair started falling out when i was about 22, and by 25 i started shaving my head. The combo of a shaved head and sometimes a beard makes me look older than i am. I'd say enjoy it while it lasts.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David