Looking your age? Rant.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I've always looked younger than I am ... but luckily (or unluckily) I wasn't really into alcohol or doing much that needed an ID when I was in my early 20s. Now, at the ripe old age of 43, it is just great when 20yo girls tell me how young I look - puts a spring in my step and a smile on my face :D So, yeah ... just get a government ID and enjoy it because later you'll be really grateful that you have youthful looks ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:My hair started falling out when i was about 22, and by 25 i started shaving my head. The combo of a shaved head and sometimes a beard makes me look older than i am. I'd say enjoy it while it lasts.
Mom noticed my hair was thinning when I was 14. It never grew back from my boot camp haircut when I was 18. Aside from the time I sunburned the heck out of my scalp when I first got to Hawaii, I've never really missed it.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Most people mistake my son for a high school student, he's 23. I was just the opposite, always bought the beer for my friends in High School and never got carded despite being 17 when I graduated.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I know that I'll appreciate this down the road and I should live it up. Everything has its downsides and sometimes it hits harder than others. Good to know that I can find some moral support when I need it.

Okay! It just sounds uber dramatic now :p
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm 41 and my girlfriend is 23. We went into the liquor store the other day, the clerk carded us both and explained she was making sure I wasn't buying booze for an underage girl. I didn't care, it was nice to be carded again. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: I'm 41 and my girlfriend is 23. We went into the liquor store the other day, the clerk carded us both and explained she was making sure I wasn't buying booze for an underage girl. I didn't care, it was nice to be carded again. :spyder:
I've actually been wondering about this. Is there a legality issue surrounding it? I mean, if a minor is present when you're buying alcohol, will they refuse the sale? My girlfriend and I went to pick up a few drinks before we headed to the hotel room last weekend, and the clerk had wanted to see both our IDs. I simply said, "Oh, no no, I'm not--" and she cut me off with "Okay" and proceeded with the sale. Technically, the person of age is making the purchase so they are not selling to minors.

I once ran into a friend of mine at a crafts store trying to buy spray paint, but she wasn't 18 yet. She saw me and yelled, "Hey! Hawn, you're 18 right? Can you buy this for me?" while standing in front of the cashier. Granted it's spray paint and not alcohol, they're both laws. The sales clerk carded me, but took the money from my friend's hand. I'm assuming that by "buying" it for my friend, I'm unofficially taking responsibility for whatever she does with it. Is that the case for alcohol as well?

I realize that any seller has the right to refuse sale, but I'm wondering if they can actually get in trouble for selling to someone intent on giving it to a minor?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

GohawnFG wrote:I've actually been wondering about this. Is there a legality issue surrounding it? I mean, if a minor is present when you're buying alcohol, will they refuse the sale? My girlfriend and I went to pick up a few drinks before we headed to the hotel room last weekend, and the clerk had wanted to see both our IDs. I simply said, "Oh, no no, I'm not--" and she cut me off with "Okay" and proceeded with the sale. Technically, the person of age is making the purchase so they are not selling to minors.

I once ran into a friend of mine at a crafts store trying to buy spray paint, but she wasn't 18 yet. She saw me and yelled, "Hey! Hawn, you're 18 right? Can you buy this for me?" while standing in front of the cashier. Granted it's spray paint and not alcohol, they're both laws. The sales clerk carded me, but took the money from my friend's hand. I'm assuming that by "buying" it for my friend, I'm unofficially taking responsibility for whatever she does with it. Is that the case for alcohol as well?

I realize that any seller has the right to refuse sale, but I'm wondering if they can actually get in trouble for selling to someone intent on giving it to a minor?
The answer to that may vary from state to state, and from product to product. Where alcohol is concerned, even if it's not illegal, some chain stores may have "corporate" rules against doing it out of concern for potential civil liability claims, at least if there is any reason to believe the alcohol is being purchased for the minor. Adult with a 6 year old might get served while one with a 16 year old might not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

The Deacon wrote:The answer to that may vary from state to state, and from product to product. Where alcohol is concerned, even if it's not illegal, some chain stores may have "corporate" rules against doing it out of concern for potential civil liability claims, at least if there is any reason to believe the alcohol is being purchased for the minor. Adult with a 6 year old might get served while one with a 16 year old might not.
Thanks Deacon, that sounds about right. I don't have any interest in alcohol anyway. What I am looking forward to when I hit 21 is getting a more up close and personal look at some firearms :D My girlfriend has been waiting for that so we can go down to the range.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

many moons ago in the days of disco -i was about 14 and my buddy blotto (name came from the music group -1 hit wonder song-i wanna be a life guard)was a year younger

we worked at the field days setting up tents and stuff-after we went to puggies pizza-
i got mine went to a table turned around and saw blotto with a pitcher of beer :eek: :D -i guess it helps to have a full beard at 13-
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Donut wrote:I went bowling with my older brother on Saturday. I'm 31, he's 32. I think I look younger than him. He asked for a beer, they carded him, gave him a wrist band... I asked for a beer and they just gave me one. He laughed about it, it was pretty funny. :)
My girlfriend and her brother(who's my age) went to Chuck E Cheese's to celebrate one of their kid cousin's birthdays. The staff there only spoke to her brother, and put a wristband on my girlfriend. She told me she's never going there again :D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I am another person who apparently looks notably younger than my age, but at 33, I am flattered when I get carded.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Packing on some muscle helps. I am 21 years old and 5'5" and occasionally get the same problem. I just never have understood why people are rude when they ask your age. Just a weird thing to me. I would get this all the time up until I started putting on heavy amounts of muscle mass, now it happens very less frequently. Started lifting when I was younger to try and offset the problem, but the past 2 years I have become so involved in weight lifting (lifting much heavier stuff than guys much taller than me and doing it clean, good genetics i have been told:cool :) I am actually an exercise science major at my university now, switched from accounting...big change. Point is this: try packing on some pounds, focus on your shoulders and chest (they show more with clothes on). And you will notice less people questioning your age, and catch more girls staring or eyeing. :rolleyes:

Or grow a beard lol
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

That's been an issue for me as well from time to time. I'm 26 and was once asked if I was over 16 in order to hold one of the knives behind the case! But the very next day I went to go buy some beer without being asked for ID. (BTW I live in Tennessee- one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to carding). I don't know, maybe it's just the particular day you catch me on. But more than likely I think it depends on how old the person is. An old fart not wearing his bifocals tends to think everyone under 30 looks like a young "whipper-snapper". But then again, Im gettin to the point where I see these young freshman in college walking around and could swear they're maybe 12 at best.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I have the same problem? no its a blessing! Im 33 and still get carded for cigs.

I will be inline with my younger brother that doesnt get IDed and I do.

its all about the baby face.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Gosh, are Paul and I the only old folks here?

After college I tried to look older because I was always young for the positions I had or was trying to get. When I hit forty I realized that the advantage was starting to be in looking younger. I still have a full head of hair, albeit thinning, which kind of surprised me as my father went bald in his twenties - glad the hair comes from the maternal side.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Im 28, I had cancer when I was 12. I had a year diagnoses. I have been in remissin for about 15 years. The treatments I was given ( three dif doses of chemo and maxium dosage of radiation) stunt my growth. So now Im a 28 year man, but everytime someone ask me how old I am and I answer I always get the same reply,"Wow, you look like your 12". Now come on, I look young, but not 12 young.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I had cancer at the age of 12 and between the 3 different types of chemo and the radiation It had stunt my growth. I am now 28 and I look young. When ever I tell someone my age I get the same reply," Wow, your 28, you look like your 12". Now come on, I may look young but not that young. I dreaded anytime I had to buy something that required a license. Because When I show them they make a production out of it.
You should have been there when I was at Cabelas buying a 1911.
I feel your frustration, dont let it bother you. Just concentrate on the knives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

insaneinmate wrote:Packing on some muscle helps. I am 21 years old and 5'5" and occasionally get the same problem. I just never have understood why people are rude when they ask your age. Just a weird thing to me. I would get this all the time up until I started putting on heavy amounts of muscle mass, now it happens very less frequently. Started lifting when I was younger to try and offset the problem, but the past 2 years I have become so involved in weight lifting (lifting much heavier stuff than guys much taller than me and doing it clean, good genetics i have been told:cool :) I am actually an exercise science major at my university now, switched from accounting...big change. Point is this: try packing on some pounds, focus on your shoulders and chest (they show more with clothes on). And you will notice less people questioning your age, and catch more girls staring or eyeing. :rolleyes:

Or grow a beard lol
Lol, not sure my girlfriend would appreciate other girls staring :p Believe me when I say that I've intended to gain some muscle mass. I definitely agree that it helps, especially since I've only lost weight since starting college(really start appreciating meals being put in front of you at home). This might as well be an excuse, but it's challenging trying to find the time to dedicate to really working out. Funny, I'm majoring in Accouting :D
redyps04 wrote:That's been an issue for me as well from time to time. I'm 26 and was once asked if I was over 16 in order to hold one of the knives behind the case! But the very next day I went to go buy some beer without being asked for ID. (BTW I live in Tennessee- one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to carding). I don't know, maybe it's just the particular day you catch me on. But more than likely I think it depends on how old the person is. An old fart not wearing his bifocals tends to think everyone under 30 looks like a young "whipper-snapper". But then again, Im gettin to the point where I see these young freshman in college walking around and could swear they're maybe 12 at best.
It absolutely has to do with what day you catch me on. And what I'm wearing. I guess that particular day at the army surplus store, I was too giddy and excited about seeing those knives through a piece of glass instead of the computer screen. Total kid-in-a-candy-store scene. I feel like the newer generations are getting smaller and a bit shorter, with a few big n' talls mixed in. I always wonder if I really looked like that at their age.
RIOT wrote:I have the same problem? no its a blessing! Im 33 and still get carded for cigs.

I will be inline with my younger brother that doesnt get IDed and I do.

its all about the baby face.
Haha, I'm sure I'll grow to appreciate this, but for now it's really a nuisance :(
Sequimite wrote:Gosh, are Paul and I the only old folks here?

After college I tried to look older because I was always young for the positions I had or was trying to get. When I hit forty I realized that the advantage was starting to be in looking younger. I still have a full head of hair, albeit thinning, which kind of surprised me as my father went bald in his twenties - glad the hair comes from the maternal side.
I once worked as a tutor, and one of the kids there was 14, nearly a foot taller than me, and rocked a full beard :eek: He had one of the deepest voices I've ever heard too. I get my hair from my mom's side too. Every hairdresser I've been to has commented about how thick it is.
Gunslinger wrote:I had cancer at the age of 12 and between the 3 different types of chemo and the radiation It had stunt my growth. I am now 28 and I look young. When ever I tell someone my age I get the same reply," Wow, your 28, you look like your 12". Now come on, I may look young but not that young. I dreaded anytime I had to buy something that required a license. Because When I show them they make a production out of it.
You should have been there when I was at Cabelas buying a 1911.
I feel your frustration, dont let it bother you. Just concentrate on the knives.
Wow, that's intense. More power to ya :) One of the things I dread is that if trouble ever finds me and I need to ID myself, the authorities might not believe me. Same goes for gun/knife stores or if I buy booze in the future. But I suppose you're right, it's not worth ruining my day over.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I feel your pain. At 25 years old, 5'6", I look about 16 or 17 at most. I often have to show my permit to carry a firearm as a secondary form of ID to prove that my driver's license isn't a fake.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm another on the other side of the issue. At 16, I was assumed to be in my late 20's. I could go into gun shops and handle whatever I wanted from about 15 on. When I was young, it seemed nice. Now, not so much.

Now that I'm 30, it's leveled off somewhat, but the guess is still 5+ years over what I am. When you start to feel the age, it starts to bug you when people say you're older. I can only imagine another 20 years from now. The only bright spot is that maybe I can get senior-citizen discounts early! Time will tell.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...