Finally obtained a personal "grail" of mine!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
StangBang

Finally obtained a personal "grail" of mine!

Post by StangBang »

Well this isn't a knife grail but...

I have been setting back (even from my knife fund) in order to finally get a supercharger for my Mustang. Well recently Roush decided to stop production of the RTC Roush Mustang which were all suppose to come with Chrome Superchargers. When they halted the project they had a few blowers left over that never made it to the vehicles.

The Stars aligned and what was once a $5,400 supercharger kit was now only $3,800!!!!!

Needless to say, I knew a deal like that wasn't coming around again. So I had to act quick!

It will be another month or so before I actually am able to get it on my Stang, but the fact I finally have one and got it for that price is just awesome! :D

This kit is rated at 435 HP @ only 4psi. It is completely safe for my stock internals and when I get a smaller 2.57 pully, intake, and a tune it will be at 505 HP @ 8psi :cool:

Here are some (crappy) pix of my baby!!!!

Vic
Donut

Post by Donut »

Awesome! Good luck with the work.

Does this mean you'll have to get racing stripes? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

That's pretty sweet. Happy wrenching. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
merthyrmafia

Post by merthyrmafia »

Both supercharger and car look fantastic, but with the massive rising cost of fuel, I bet they will be giving those away in the future!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

She already has racing stripes ;) lol

Thanks for all the comments guys! :D

@ merthyrmafia- your probably right :( lol
Vic
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

That is awesome. Looks like it will certainly shorten the life of your rear tires :)

In addition to a Spydie fund, you may have to set up a "Mustang rear tire fund" LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sweeeettt. are you going to have to get bigger injectors or a fuel pump? speaking of forced induction i will probably be picking up a vert terminator in the next few weeks :D . one sold under me last week, triple black with 18K miles, exhaust, intake, roll/light bar, SFC's..it had freaking everything :mad: . oh well. i am real happy for you and your car looks sweet, nice combo on the paint too. if you think spydies are addicting, boost is so sooo much more. there has to be a direct link between the whine of the supercharger and the sh@t eating grin that automatically appears on your face as you are thrown back in your seat. we need to get a mustang/spydie page on here..lol, maybe a sprint of an engraved spydie with a few galloping ponies :D . keep us informed on the progress and numbers.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice find! :)

I don't know what kind of engine management the kit comes with but SCT and DiabloSport tuners can be custom tuned at most major dyno shops. As a serious opponent to plug-n-play maps (especially under boost) I steer clear of even kit settings.

The truth is while most "black boxes" are conservative enough to work and often are designed for 50-state legality (ie: California) they run most cars pig rich. You will get more power while saving your plugs, cats, etc. Heck, it might even get decent mileage. ;)

Have fun!
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

AHH! That's so awesome. I drive a 2001 GT with a decent mod list but never had the money for a supercharger. There is nothing like the whine of a roots blower on a mustang.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very nice....someday i might get crazy enough to put a roots blower on my 347 but for now i'm plenty happy with 365hp at the wheels. I'm about to swap intakes and go to a custom carb and hopefully come a little closer to 400rwhp all motor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Jay_Ev wrote:That is awesome. Looks like it will certainly shorten the life of your rear tires :)

In addition to a Spydie fund, you may have to set up a "Mustang rear tire fund" LOL
Thanks! :) I agree the tires are going to go quick. I'm already looking at a new set of Drag Radials for when the weather gets better!
tonydahose wrote:sweeeettt. are you going to have to get bigger injectors or a fuel pump? speaking of forced induction i will probably be picking up a vert terminator in the next few weeks :D . one sold under me last week, triple black with 18K miles, exhaust, intake, roll/light bar, SFC's..it had freaking everything :mad: . oh well. i am real happy for you and your car looks sweet, nice combo on the paint too. if you think spydies are addicting, boost is so sooo much more. there has to be a direct link between the whine of the supercharger and the sh@t eating grin that automatically appears on your face as you are thrown back in your seat. we need to get a mustang/spydie page on here..lol, maybe a sprint of an engraved spydie with a few galloping ponies :D . keep us informed on the progress and numbers.
Tony, thanks bro! As for fuel, the factory pump is what most people run until they up the boost and then they change to the GT500 setup. The Roush kit comes with new fuel injectors though so that is good. I really love how complete the Roush kit is! Congrats on the impending Termi purchase!!!! I have always loved the 03-04 Cobras, my cousin has one and it is a serious machine! Best of luck on finding the perfect one! The Roush forums claim I will have "PermaGrin" when the blower goes in :D lol I appreciate the kind words! I agree that would really be great to get a Mustang Edition Spyderco knife!!!! I will definitely keep you updated!
Blerv wrote:Nice find! :)

I don't know what kind of engine management the kit comes with but SCT and DiabloSport tuners can be custom tuned at most major dyno shops. As a serious opponent to plug-n-play maps (especially under boost) I steer clear of even kit settings.

The truth is while most "black boxes" are conservative enough to work and often are designed for 50-state legality (ie: California) they run most cars pig rich. You will get more power while saving your plugs, cats, etc. Heck, it might even get decent mileage. ;)

Have fun!
Well Roush tells you to send the PCM in to them and let them tune it but they don't take into account any other mods done (exhaust for ex) so they won't modify the tune. I am having Bamachips write me a custom tune file for my SCT SF3 handheld and I will be running that one until I can get either a VMP tune (dyno tunes specific for roushcharged Stangs) or get it dyno tuned in Kansas City. Thanks for the comment :D
jwingfie wrote:AHH! That's so awesome. I drive a 2001 GT with a decent mod list but never had the money for a supercharger. There is nothing like the whine of a roots blower on a mustang.
Thanks man! :) I still love the SN95 body style I use to have a 2001 (v6) and loved the lines on it. Good to see another Mustang owner here too! I never thought I would have the money to supercharge mine but I started putting back for a while and just came upon a great deal! Take care!
Evil D wrote:Very nice....someday i might get crazy enough to put a roots blower on my 347 but for now i'm plenty happy with 365hp at the wheels. I'm about to swap intakes and go to a custom carb and hopefully come a little closer to 400rwhp all motor.
Thank you! Those are some great RWHP numbers man, Good luck with the swap, I'm sure it will bump you quite a bit!
Vic
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Wow Vic, that's awesome!!! I saw it in your avatar on the other forum and I was wondering what the story was. Excellent score, and it's just going to make your sweet ride even sweeter. AWESOME!!! :D
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Thanks Chris! I'm really looking forward to getting it on the car :D
Vic
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

:cool: Thanks for the thread StangBang -- I've had affinities for Roots fashioned superchargers,; was wondering if you'd ever considered formerly a Paxton on the Mustang -- or more ideally older Mustangs if you'd owned any.

I'm a Heavy Chevy guy, and in the mid '80s i was looking at a Gale Banks tuned Roto twin turbo system on a '67 4 blt 350 / 1.92" Fuelies which I still have as naturally aspirated pushing out 420 BHP B&B, 11:25:1 with cam 268/.410.
Holly 650 double pumper with mid-ram Street Dominator.
Back then the kit was something like $4500.00. It involves the use of a modified Holley 850 cfm 'blow through' config.
It would have required 8:1 comp forged pistons max, but the gates could be dialed up to 17 psi -- Gale banks specialized in marine motors in particular then...

Stay Sharp --

:spyder: SB :spyder:
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Thanks for the comment SB! as for the setup you were talking about :eek: That sounds like a freakin monster!!!!!!

As for Paxton/Novi blowers I did look into a centrifugal setup for the Stang, I know many fox body owners go turbo or centri but most guys who do use centri go with Pro-Chargers around here. I would of loved to go with a Pro-Charger for mine but the costs were just out of my budget to do everything necessary and if you can't do it right you don't do it :o Paxton/Novi blowers are very good though I am unsure as to why there popularity with the Mustang crowd isn't bigger. Funny because Carrol Shelby used Paxtons on the older Shelby cars he built and they had a cult following. :cool:
Vic