Video Games?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm guilty of spending about $100 real money on gold for that game, which did build me a nasty Monk that blew threw Inferno with no problem, but yeah the idea did completely negate the point of the game. I think if you go to their website there's still a video talking about all of this and they say essentially the same thing.

I wouldn't even say the idea of an auction house is a bad thing, since it was a secure way to sell loot and it got your for sale gear out to the masses so you had a better chance to sell it, and it did make finding gear easier. The problem was that it boiled down to a perfect example of the rich get richer. The people who had the 300+ Magic Find and all the badass gear were the only ones finding any good loot, so they were the only ones with anything good to sell. By the time everything got up into the 20 billion price range, I logged out and haven't played it since. I do plan on getting the expansion though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Played the crap out of it until the Auction House got to be like eBay and it got to the point you could only be competitive if you spent real money to buy gear. The good news is Blizzard sees the problem and in March they're shutting down the Auction House so it should get back to the good old days. I did get bored with the story line after about a dozen play throughs.
Are any other games similar, which worth attention? How is The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings? I do not care much about on-line play.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I love Fallout 3.

Haven't bothered getting New Vegas, and won't be buying Fallout 4.

Bugs, glitches, tons of migraine-inducing B.S. because the developers were too **** lazy to port the game over to PC, properly!

I had to use youtube to find out how to fix the constant crashes every 10 minutes that rendered the game unplayable. Had to do several things that Bethesda should have taken care of.... Including actually going into the game's coding itself and altering it so it would work reliably. That's just ridiculous! Fantastic game with nearly as badly fantastic issues.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Monocrom wrote: Bugs, glitches, tons of migraine-inducing B.S. because the developers were too **** lazy to port the game over to PC, properly!

I had to use youtube to find out how to fix the constant crashes every 10 minutes that rendered the game unplayable. Had to do several things that Bethesda should have taken care of.... Including actually going into the game's coding itself and altering it so it would work reliably. That's just ridiculous! Fantastic game with nearly as badly fantastic issues.
And after that you still love it?
I am a fan of Fallout and Fallout2. I played about 5 minutes in Fallout3 and stopped.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:Are any other games similar, which worth attention? How is The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings? I do not care much about on-line play.
Depends on what kind of games you like playing? I don't do a lot of gaming, but the games I play, I invest a LOT of hours into. I stick with games that have very long story lines, and gobs of replay value. If you like the character build type games, check out Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas. I haven't played the Witcher games but I've heard good things. You may also like the Assassin's Creed series, which you can get the first 3 at most retailers for about $20 TOTAL for all 3, which is a smokin good deal.
Monocrom wrote:I love Fallout 3.

Haven't bothered getting New Vegas, and won't be buying Fallout 4.

Bugs, glitches, tons of migraine-inducing B.S. because the developers were too **** lazy to port the game over to PC, properly!

It's funny you say that, because for me New Vegas has been way more stable and crashes far less than Fallout 3 ever did. If you're using mods, just make sure your load order is right. There are also quite a few mods that work to prevent crashes. Both of my games (3 and NV) are modded to heck and back, and I do still get an occasional crash, but I save often so it rarely effects me. I found that the biggest contributor to crashes is playing with settings that are beyond your PC's ability to run, which is hard to see because visually the game may run smooth, but behind the scenes your PC is fighting for it's life. I recently built a new PC, and it cut my crashes down to literally about 10% of how often I used to get them. If nothing else, I would just running the auto settings and see how often it crashes that way. The only real "gripe" I'd say I have is that there are a few tweaks you HAVE to do if you're running a quad core PC, and if you don't then you're gonna get a lot of crashes. I do wish the powers that be would release a patch to correct this so the non PC savvy people wouldn't have to deal with the crashes, but then the game is also approaching 10 years old.
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Depends on what kind of games you like playing? I don't do a lot of gaming, but the games I play, I invest a LOT of hours into. I stick with games that have very long story lines, and gobs of replay value.
David,
I was quite into games years ago. I plaid mostly RPGs and strategy. When I liked games I also played for a while. I spent more than two years of my life with Morrowind. I also played for very long Diablo, D2, Fallouts, Total War and few others. Than just before I got into knives I became bored with games. Than my PC became too old to play. So I didn't buy any new games since 2004 or 2005. I bought Fallout3/Oblivion few weeks ago, but really didn't play. And started to think about something more simple like Diablo. Check-out D3, but found that rating is not that high like original game or D2.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

D3 had very large shoes to fill and I really don't think anyone could top D2. Graphics wise it's a great game, and the story is pretty good, but the problem is that there were enough years between the two games for there to be nostalgia for D2, and nostalgia is one of those things you really can't compete with no matter what you do. I did feel that D3 was easier to beat than D2, but the higher difficulty levels are down right ridiculous. You'll run into mobs of elite bosses that will take you out faster than Diablo himself. I think the largest problem with the game was that it centered so much on multiplayer and the auction house. Yes, it's a single player game, and yes you get loot drops, but you will never build a character that can beat Inferno level solely by playing single player and gearing up with the stuff you get in drops. You have to play multi and trade with people, and at the time you had to use the auction house to buy better gear. Here in a couple months after the auction house is gone, we'll see what happens. Another thing that bugged me was the constant nerfing of character builds. The community would figure out a particular build that tanked well, and they'd nerf it. I had a barbarian that was a beast with very reasonable gear, and they nerfed the build to the point that he was useless. It's been almost a year since I played it, but I haven't given up on it. I'd say it's still worth playing, if nothing more than a single play through for the story line, but aside from modern graphics it's definitely not better than D2.
~David
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

bh49 wrote:And after that you still love it?
I am a fan of Fallout and Fallout2. I played about 5 minutes in Fallout3 and stopped.
Yes, still love it. The bugs, glitches, and B.S. were horrific. And once you got it working properly, the game was indeed that spectacular!

When a game causes you to have an emotional reaction in a way no other game ever did before, you know it's something special.... So many times that took place for me. Sometimes in ways one simply would not expect. Yes, there are the silly moments, but much of the time it was something far more.

Going back to Point Lookout to stock up on double-barrel shotguns and lever-action rifles. Deciding to visit Panada at her usual spot. And finding her Protectron destroyed. Looking for her as she's missing, and finding her body behind the counter. ****.... That was a horrible feeling. I took the time to lift her up onto the counter and lay her down in a tasteful manner. Just getting the feeling she would have preferred it that way. (And yes, I know she's just a video game character.)

Or, handing the violin to Agatha and asking her to play something. Possibly the best of Fallout 3.

Or, activating each radio tower, and receiving those Morse code messages sent by soldiers 200 years ago, and then finding their locations. And then.... That one tower where the radio signal is not Morse code. It's a plea from a father for help. Clearly, they found an underground bunker and have been living there. But their son is ill; and the broadcast going out is for help. So you rush around until you find the entrance. You're loaded up on stimpaks and other medications. You get down there and discover.... Well, one of the things you discover is how well the game truly psychologically screws around with the player's mind.

Heading back to Point Lookout, assuming you have the "Walk with Animals" perk, you find the circus bear that you've seen in all the advertisements in and around Point Lookout. Now she's 200 years older, mutated horribly, tends to just wander around near its large red ball (it's most favorite thing in the world), couple of skeletons of hunters nearby. It's heart-breaking. I aimed my rifle at her and.... just couldn't do it. She was happy just with her big red circus ball. I just walked away.

Sometimes you encounter random scavengers part of random events, and it's just as heart-breaking.

Yeah, it's that good. But to be honest, I do know that fans of the earlier Fallout games tend to hate the new direction the series has gone to. Though on its own, It's one of the greatest video games I've ever played.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea, D2 left some mighty big shoes to fill. The longer you wait the more that is expected. I think to some degree the genre has just aged a bit. Same thing as RTIS's. If you try to launch a new one it better be amazing and if linked to an old franchise...good luck.

I've been goofing with Guild Wars 2 again after quitting. It's a great looking game with great intentions at least. Looking forward to Wild Star and Elder Scrolls Online.

I remember playing games for a long while and really tussling with them. Either I'm getting impatient with age or Steam has nurtured a bit of A.D.D.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Evil D wrote: It's funny you say that, because for me New Vegas has been way more stable and crashes far less than Fallout 3 ever did. If you're using mods, just make sure your load order is right. There are also quite a few mods that work to prevent crashes. Both of my games (3 and NV) are modded to heck and back, and I do still get an occasional crash, but I save often so it rarely effects me. I found that the biggest contributor to crashes is playing with settings that are beyond your PC's ability to run, which is hard to see because visually the game may run smooth, but behind the scenes your PC is fighting for it's life. I recently built a new PC, and it cut my crashes down to literally about 10% of how often I used to get them. If nothing else, I would just running the auto settings and see how often it crashes that way. The only real "gripe" I'd say I have is that there are a few tweaks you HAVE to do if you're running a quad core PC, and if you don't then you're gonna get a lot of crashes. I do wish the powers that be would release a patch to correct this so the non PC savvy people wouldn't have to deal with the crashes, but then the game is also approaching 10 years old.
That's one of the things that really ticked me off. I'm using a brand new gaming computer that can easily handle anything out there (assuming the developers do their job). Yup, have to save often. Game tends to crash once every 3 hours or so, even with all the "fixes" in place. There's a reason why Fallout 3 isn't remotely as popular as it should be. (And that's considering that it's already pretty popular.)

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:I stick with games that have very long story lines, and gobs of replay value.
Did you play Planescape: Torment?

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Monocrom wrote: When a game causes you to have an emotional reaction in a way no other game ever did before, you know it's something special.... So many times that took place for me. Sometimes in ways one simply would not expect.
This what Morrowind did for me. I consider that Elder scroll 3 was the best game I ever played. I played at least a dozen highly rated RPGs, but for me Morrowind is on the league of it's own.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Monocrom wrote: Heading back to Point Lookout, assuming you have the "Walk with Animals" perk, you find the circus bear that you've seen in all the advertisements in and around Point Lookout. Now she's 200 years older, mutated horribly, tends to just wander around near its large red ball (it's most favorite thing in the world), couple of skeletons of hunters nearby. It's heart-breaking. I aimed my rifle at her and.... just couldn't do it. She was happy just with her big red circus ball. I just walked away.
Huh. As many times as I've played that game, I don't remember ever seeing this. I'm currently playing F3 again so I'll make a note of that.
~David
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Evil D wrote:Huh. As many times as I've played that game, I don't remember ever seeing this. I'm currently playing F3 again so I'll make a note of that.
Head to Point Lookout.

Once you get there, head to the North West corner of the map. Then head a bit East. She's around there.

If you don't have the Walk with Animals perk though, she'll assume you're another hunter and just attack you. Seeing that big red ball was quite a sight though.

vonSpeerhaus

Post by vonSpeerhaus »

Mechwarrior4 Mercernaries

vonSpeerhaus,,,aka...{BS}Snowman-Black Scorpions mech unit
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I played a lot of NES and Genesis, fun times. Mario 3, gets me nostalgic. Looks like we're talking about RPG, not too much into those but I love Castlevania SOTN, all time favorite. I probably put in 400 hours on two games of Oblivion. I like Skyrim also. They can never get a Star Trek game right. The best ones I can make work for me is the 25th Anniversary on Windows95 and Echoes from the past on Genesis. Im a big enough fan to enjoy those. Plenty of SF, Tekken, and Madden with buddies. Halflife series was epic.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bh49 wrote:Are anybody playing Diablo3? Any good?
I was big fan of original game. I played D2 as well, but never liked it as much as original.
I enjoyed the first one also. I want to check out D3 but no time last few years :( looks fun.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I loved WOW and was a top Paladin healer in my guild until they started playing favorites with others. Couldn't get my gear any better because I couldn't get in raids consistently. Diablo 3, meh same old stuff every run through. GW2 meh poor attempt to be like WOW.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's an attempt to be the opposite of wow. Interesting enough, specialization of roles (while polarizing at times) seems to give people a sense of accomplishment and purpose. I bought into the "no healers" pitch too. IMO, its art is still top of the industry...the rest isn't so much :( .

I'm looking forward to Destiny as well. It should mix the FPS and MMO genres nicely. Plus, Bungee = nuff said :D .
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

I played the Oblivian series for almost two years, and I'm sure that there were plenty of things not found! I also liked, the Fallout series, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Tomb Raider, Socom series, and another that was supposedly on the same platform of Fall out series. I honestly can't remember the rest, but the RP games all started with Zelda, the very first one! I had to be good with that, so I could help the kids, when they were stuck! Now that I'm retired, I should sit down and start again! I still have playstation 3, and have many games unopened! They were fun, and very time consuming!
I guess Ill always have some kid left in me!