How far is a click

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

How far is a click

Post by jackknifeh »

In the movies military people say go 3 clicks and turn left. How far is a click? Is it like a cubit? :) This may sound like a stupid question since I was in the Air Force for 13 years. I was talking to a guy who had been in the Army and he was amazed when I told him I had never seen a hum-v in person.

Anyway, how far is a click and please be kind with your references to my ignorance.

Jack
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

1000 Meters, , ,
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

1 click [U.S. military] = 1,093.6132983 yards
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had heard years ago a click represented the distance between clicks on the rear site of a rifle when sighting it in for distance. Let's say you sight it in for 500 yards. Raise the rear sight by turning it one click (sound made when it "clicks" into the next position). Now the rifle will hit mark further away and that distance is a click. First, that would make sense only to riflemen. Second, which rifle are they talking about and which site? Or maybe what I heard was BS.

Jack
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

jackknifeh wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

I had heard years ago a click represented the distance between clicks on the rear site of a rifle when sighting it in for distance. Let's say you sight it in for 500 yards. Raise the rear sight by turning it one click (sound made when it "clicks" into the next position). Now the rifle will hit mark further away and that distance is a click. First, that would make sense only to riflemen. Second, which rifle are they talking about and which site? Or maybe what I heard was BS.

Jack
It can refer to open sights or scopes. On many rifle scopes, it moves the bullet's point of impact 1/4-inch at 100 yards.

It really depends on the equipment you're working with. You may also hear snipers talking about their "Dope", which stands for Date On Personal Equipment, or your "Dope on the scope".
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Everyone around here calls kilometers klicks - just slang. Not sure if it's the same thing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I believe the term came from radio communication during WWII. When US troops went into Europe, all the road signs and maps were metric, using kilometers instead of the miles they were familiar with. "Kilometer" is a long word, easily garbled by background noise, the communication equipment of the time and troops who were not very familiar with the metric system, so it was shortened to "klick" for clarity over the airwaves.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
unit

Post by unit »

"Klicks" are Kilometers. For us citizens of the USA, it takes about 1.6 klicks to equal a mile....generally if you figure 3 klicks is 2 miles, you will understand relatively the distances they are talking about in conversations/movies/etc.

I spell it with a "k" because it is based in Kilometers...but in writing, it is shorter (and technically correct) to write "km".
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

jackknifeh wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Jack
Clicks can also refer to firearms.

When dealing with firearms, you have inches, minutes, and clicks. Inches is language you and I speak when it comes to zeroing/aiming a firearm, and minute of angle is the language the firearm speaks. Clicks is the conversion language for both of us.

Inches is a linear measurement used to measure where your group is in relation to your desired point of impact. Say your group is 2 inches to the left, and 4 inches down, and you're shooting at 100 yards.

A minute of angle(MOA) is one inch PER 100 yards. So, one MOA at 100 yards is one inch, and one MOA at 500 yards is 5 inches. This also means that one MOA at 25 yards is 1/4 of an inch. Imagine a cross section of a funnel and you'll get the idea.

Clicks for THIS IS NOT A SET MEASUREMENT. A click is that - exactly one click on the optic or iron sights when adjusting them. Most optics will tell you on the turret how much one click is worth - for example, 1/4" at 100 yards (1/4 MOA adjustments), 1/8" at 100 yards (1/8 MOA adustment), 1" at 50 yards (2MOA adjustment), etc. Not too many iron sights have this information printed on them, but the information is easily found for most military rifles. Let's pretend in the example above, that you are shooting a M1 Garand rifle using M2 ball surplus ammunition. Each click of adjustment for elevation on the M1 Garand is 1MOA, and each click of windage adjustment is 1MOA.

Remember how our group was 2 inches to the left and 4 inches low at 100 yards? Well, this means that our group is 2MOA left, and 4MOA low. For most rifles, I strongly recommend leaving the front sight alone and adjusting only the rear sight. For a AR15, adjust elevation using only the front sight post, and windage using the rear sight. The odds of your M1 Garand needing this help (provided it is not the shooter), is not that good - but it can be done and NOT loose the calibration of the scale on the knob with a little bit of thought and a bit of mechanical aptitude.

For the rifle we are shooting, this means that we need to adjust our REAR sight 2 MOA to the RIGHT and move our rear peep 4 MOA UP. We move our rear sight in the direction we want the group to move.

Let me know if you need more clarification on this :)
raven

Post by raven »

Aaaah... Precistion Shooting/Sniper jargon... Gotta Love It :D .

The term "Klick" or "Click" has different meanings depending on who you're speaking with. Like mentioned above "Klick" pertains to 1000 meters. To us shooters "Click" means scope or sight adjustments. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Jazz wrote:Everyone around here calls kilometers klicks - just slang. Not sure if it's the same thing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
That's all I've ever heard as "klicks" referred to. I've never heard it used regarding guns, although I do see how it would be used.

I'm used to hearing people say stuff like "yeah it's about 30 klicks east of here".
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

Or how about a clique.
A group of like minded people
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
gac

Post by gac »

The clique is half a klick away, adjust two clicks higher.
ceya

Post by ceya »

raven wrote:Aaaah... Precistion Shooting/Sniper jargon... Gotta Love It :D .

The term "Klick" or "Click" has different meanings depending on who you're speaking with. Like mentioned above "Klick" pertains to 1000 meters. To us shooters "Click" means scope or sight adjustments. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
Yep click also on a compass, is 3 degrees per click.

then you have it in mils as with Raven's case.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

gac wrote:The clique is half a klick away, adjust two clicks higher.
Don't forget to polish the Polish furniture while you are at it. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

raven wrote:Aaaah... Precistion Shooting/Sniper jargon... Gotta Love It :D .

-raven-
So when someone in the movies (usually military in combat) use the word click or klick what are they talking about? 1000 meters? Also I guess, is does anyone even use the word click like they do in the movies.

Please don't think I'm loosing sleep over this, just curious and bored.

Jack
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Yes: People in the military still routinely use the term 'click' and it still refers to one kilometer (1000 meters). An example might be: "After conducting our raid we will travel 3 clicks on a 245 degree magnetic azimuth to our extraction point."
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

We use the term Klick in radio site survey and engineering as well - referring to kilometers.

Of course, there's always the joker who starts tossing out "centiklicks" and "milliklicks".

:-)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185