Pelican Cases?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Freediver

Pelican Cases?

Post by Freediver »

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with any Pelican cases in terms of knife storage? I had my eye on something like the Model 1170: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1170

My main question is would it be wise to store some knives in there in terms of rust? Would sitting in a tight space like that increase their chance of rusting? Obviously I will oil them. I am super close to buying a Titanium Lum Chinese and preordering a Ti UK Pen Knife. I also have my eye on the Ti Fluted mili. I have never owned a Ti Spydie before and was wondering if I were to purchase them would this be a wise thing to store them in?

I have been looking for a case to store my nicer knives/my Lx2 Lumamax. I move quite frequently and I'm thinking it would be nice to keep all of my expensive stuff in one place. Thanks!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Hello,

I have experience with Pelican cases. They are highly regarded in the Japanese sword world. If you purchase one with good seal, the seal is good. You may want to have a dessicant or dessicator packets in there with your blades to take up residual atmospheric moisture trapped in the case.

Japanese swords are highly susceptible to rusting and regularly require travel. Pelicans are the #1 case for airline travel with $20,000+ swords according to top sword polishers and Iai practitioners in the USA. Pelican makes a good case.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

as long as you use something to take the moisture out as mentio9ned above you should be good to go. here is something that i thought would interest you.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Oh wow. Thank you so much for the info guys. I looked all around today for one in stores but it looks like I'm going to have to order one online somewhere.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I use one to store my Sig Pro 2022 9mm pistol and mags. It works great. That said, I haven't put a desiccant in there and I should. That would make it ideal.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
blackvenom

Post by blackvenom »

I got my pelican case at south-pak.com and it's really awesome.I also bought it online just like you, I was also doubtful at first. ;) You should really go with the quality and check it over the net before buying one though. I also got other case to store all my long guns and it's really worth the price. It doesn't look like a case at all. Well I do hope you got one yourself now. :)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I get my pelicans from optics planet and use them to store guns, ammo and cameras. You can get dessicant in larger volume for less money in the craft section at wally world.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

ive got a few and i love them. I keep all my fixed blades in one. Like mentioned before though, you want to keep some dessicant packs to keep the moisture out. Before i put the silica packets in mine, i had a few that started to get some spotting after a few nights in my truck.

Im actually going to buy about 10 new cases tomorrow. Found a great deal on some 1120s, perfect for storing a few folders in.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Pelican cases are great! I've used them for storing and transporting camera gear, guns, and ammunition.

I bought most of my Pelican cases from a camera store. The Pelican cases available at this camera store came with two options of protective interior...

- A foam piece composed of tiny foam squares that fills the interior and allows you to remove the needed amount of foam for a snug fit.

- A padded compartment designed to be customized to fit and secure camera equipment.

The camera store also sold a dessicant sealed in a metal casing that can be placed into the Pelican case. These dessicant cases are designed to be "recharged" by placing them in the oven to dry out the moisture that's collected.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

My M4 lives in a 1700 Long Case. I have several Pelican dive cases that I have taken to 150' with no sign of leakage. (Also have full set of Pelican Nemo dive lights). NASA.....well at least Dryden Flight Test Center where I work, swears by them and I specify them for my test equipment whenever possible.

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
watermelonfan

Post by watermelonfan »

Hi,

I know this thread is old and but in case someone out there is doing research like I am it might help the. Yes, Pelican cases work great with knives. Pelican cases are made for storage and travel and so much more. A great deal for all waterproof cases follow the link. It would be very efficient to even get some of the custom foam and make the molds yourself for best look and security.