What do you do when..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GohawnFG

What do you do when..

Post by GohawnFG »

..you have absolutely no funds to spare on knives and find yourself watching amazing deals pass by? I find it depressing to say the least. I imagine the obvious thing to do is to refrain from looking at for sale threads, but it's so tempting :eek: Any of you have a fix for this?
Donut

Post by Donut »

When I don't want to spend money, I can always sell to fund another purchase.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Try to make a trade for the next one you want.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Yes. You do not buy stuff you can not afford.

Live within your means.

http://www.finetunedfinances.com/2009/0 ... -snl-skit/
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

GohawnFG wrote:..you have absolutely no funds to spare on knives and find yourself watching amazing deals pass by? I find it depressing to say the least. I imagine the obvious thing to do is to refrain from looking at for sale threads, but it's so tempting :eek: Any of you have a fix for this?
Davy Ramsey did it for me, just follow these simple steps.

Getting a second job isn't bad either.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Every two months I cash in 70-100 lbs. of brass valves and 40-50 lbs of scrap copper. If I come across something I really want I can go to the scrap yard.
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Thanks for all the tips fellas. I don't have the money lying around, so all I can do is stare at the knives up for sale anyway. No chance to 'overspend' there. Sucks when Spyderco's churning out all these sick blades :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I try my best to just let it go, because it happens more often than not. Then again, i'm more of a one life one knife kind of guy, i only keep a few different knives and they all tend to have a different purpose so it makes it easy for me to not buy another knife in a different steel just because the steel is different. If i did i would sell one of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Just yesterday I saw an amazing deal on a modded Yojimbo, it was modded so collectors weren't interested resulting in the low price, now for that price I would have carried and used it to my hearts content!
Unfortunately after Xmas and paying off a bill on top of buying a new knife this month, I couldn't afford it. So I just left it at that, hoping to have a Yojimbo2 in my hands at some point. :(
First of all, if you can't afford a new knife, NEVER go to FST threads! NEVER!
If you see a link and you can see it's a FST thread, don't open it. That's how the Yojimbo wen't... :o
Now I'm actually kinda relieved it is already SPF to someone else. :)
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Think about it this way. You are spending less money than you would by jumping on an amazing deal so you are coming out even further ahead.
unit

Post by unit »

I find that I enjoy looking at knives for sale, and often find great deals when I do not have the budget for it...so I can relate entirely to your (OP) sentiment.

I find that I enjoy *finding* the deals more than actually acquiring the knives...When funds are low, I look at my collection of knives that are not getting used and think how silly it would be to add more to that pile.

IDK, perhaps this is not a popular sentiment, but I also look at the knives I bought when I had less limitations on my funds...and I question some of them. It seems that buying slowly leads to a lot more happiness even though the price per knife might be higher.

To elaborate: Last year in April, I won the lottery (about 2 grand). It was fantastic and I immediately went shopping and treated myself to about 700 bucks worth of knives that I had been wanting for a LONG time. Today, I still have all the knives I bought, but only really love one of them (that amounted to about 80 bucks). If I had less funds available, I might not have even bought the one I really love now...and later I would have been forced to spend 110 to get the same knife (no longer on sale)...but I would have 590 bucks left over still!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

i have had to do this also. there was a blue zdp stretch for 70$ - a great deal, but i didnt have the cash :( maby next time
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I know how it feels for funds to run low for stuff like more knives. Also, just today I see cutleryshoppe.com has Delica 4 ZDP-189, flat saber grind knives for $54. I got one recently and I think I paid $72 for it. I'm satisfied but would have liked to put off that purchase till now. Oh well, it's not the first time and won't be the last that will happen. When I see something I want and have the money I have two choices. Wait till it goes on sale or buy now before the price goes up. I usually go with the second option. :)

I love my Delica with the saber grind but want one with FFG. I'm thinking cutleryshoppe is trying to get rid of the saber grinds to start selling the FFG knives. Does anyone know if the FFG knives are available yet?

Jack
GTP2K1

Post by GTP2K1 »

You can share where you find your favorite hearts desires at what you appraise to be amazing steals of prices. That way even if you cant run out and pick it up, you know it went to someone whose heart filled with the same joy and was counting to hours until the box arrives.
Endura I (First Spydie)
Tenacious (Work)
Para2, Strech II (EDCs)
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Evil D wrote:I try my best to just let it go, because it happens more often than not.
I agree, I try to pull back before I get excited about it. It's a real downer though when it's a limited item, or the last one :eek:
Creepo wrote: First of all, if you can't afford a new knife, NEVER go to FST threads! NEVER!
If you see a link and you can see it's a FST thread, don't open it. That's how the Yojimbo wen't... :o
Now I'm actually kinda relieved it is already SPF to someone else. :)
That's gotta be the first rule I break if anything :p I like to "keep tabs" on market values and prices so that I can gauge how much I want certain knives and adjust my list accordingly. As for SPF threads, I hope for that all the time. It still bites, but I try to tell myself that it's gone, so move on.
npueppke wrote:Think about it this way. You are spending less money than you would by jumping on an amazing deal so you are coming out even further ahead.
Believe me, I try to! But sometimes I know that if I don't buy something at an amazing price (that I may never come across again), I'll regret it later on. It has happened more often than not.
unit wrote:I find that I enjoy looking at knives for sale, and often find great deals when I do not have the budget for it...so I can relate entirely to your (OP) sentiment.

I find that I enjoy *finding* the deals more than actually acquiring the knives...
I can relate to this; Half the reason I look at FS threads is for the eye candy. I realize there are much safer ways to attain this, but it doubles as a way to keep track of what's out there these days I guess. I get a sense of accomplishment when I find a nice deal, and disappointment at the lack of funds shortly follows :(
jackknifeh wrote:I know how it feels for funds to run low for stuff like more knives. Also, just today I see cutleryshoppe.com has Delica 4 ZDP-189, flat saber grind knives for $54. I got one recently and I think I paid $72 for it. I'm satisfied but would have liked to put off that purchase till now. Oh well, it's not the first time and won't be the last that will happen. When I see something I want and have the money I have two choices. Wait till it goes on sale or buy now before the price goes up. I usually go with the second option. :)
I also do a lot of price comparing. Like I mentioned above, I like to keep tabs on the market price of certain knives, and many times I've bought something "too late", when I could have gotten it sooner and at a lower price. But you could also say that if I'd waited even longer, the prices would have inflated even more, so I'm still better off. And then there's the situation you mentioned where you find something cheaper after you've already made the purchase. This digs at me much less than if I knew I could have gotten something cheaper had I jumped at it when I first found it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What's worse than online deals is when i'm at the knife shop and the owner gives me one of those "lets make a deal" faces and starts tempting me lol. It's even harder when the knife is in your hands and you're drooling over it.
~David
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

Evil D wrote:What's worse than online deals is when i'm at the knife shop and the owner gives me one of those "lets make a deal" faces and starts tempting me lol. It's even harder when the knife is in your hands and you're drooling over it.
That's one of the reasons why I'm half glad I don't have any B&M shops closeby. There are still a couple in the cities next to me that I have yet to check out though...
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I always find myself in this boat. I usually trade something or sell something off if it's a "gotta have" item.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did really good today. I went to the shop and spent some time handing a Military, deciding if i wanna carve it down into my own custom liner lock version of the Para 2. In the end i decided that even though they're similar in style, they're too far different from each other to just cut down each end and get the end result i'm looking for. I bought my brother a Kiwi for his birthday and left with nothing for myself! Shocker! lol
~David