I lost my Caly 3 CF

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Reject

I lost my Caly 3 CF

Post by Reject »

As soon as I got the Caly 3 it was love, loved everything about it. It had to become my EDC because I couldn’t leave it alone. And some how it felt like it wanted to come along with me.
When I clipped it into pocket it felt so natural, so right you wouldn’t know it was there.
And there lies the problem, if you don’t know it’s there, you don’t know when it’s goes missing.

It was a cold winter’s day, which is very appropriate.
We don’t get bad winters here, it doesn’t snow. Some times it feels like it should, but brass monkeys are fairly safe here.

I got home from work and went to take the Caly out to open a package, it wasn’t there.
:eek: AAARRHH! Got the heart going again and started to run over in my mind as to where it could be. I had traveled over 300 kilometers that day, (for you Yanks that’s like miles but shorter) had worked on the side of country roads, had climbed over barbed wire fences about ten times and some of the grass I walked through had been fairly long.

Then a vain thought or hope occurred to me that maybe I didn’t take to work today.
So the home got ripped apart, but no it wasn’t there. Then the cabin of work vehicle was emptied, but no again.

It was already dark so it was to late now but it had to be done. I was going to have go back to the locations I had worked and search for it. I didn’t hold out much hope but I couldn’t leave it out there without at least trying. It was going to be hard cover with my work; they will want me to work in other areas. If told them I wanted go back to search for knife, they would say it only a knife leave it, **** what do they know.

Over the years I have learnt a few tricks about findings things that have gone missing.
1. Stop looking.
2. Buy a new one. (as soon as you hand over the money the old one will turn up)
3. Ask a woman to look for it.
4. When you have looked in all the logical places start looking in the illogical and ridicules places for it.

So with trick number 4 in mind I thought of the tool bag. I never put it in there, there is no reason I would put it in there, it’s illogical and ridicules place for it to be. Yep! That’s the next place to look.

I open the back of the work vehicle and there hanging on the side of the tool bag with body of it to outside, just hanging by clip:……. Imagine if you will, a kitten, wet, cold, bedraggled, shivering, hanging for dear life by its front claws. That was the Caly.

Amidst the feelings of relief; something else hit me. (No I wasn’t drinking or on drugs) It was surge of emotion that seemed to be coming from the Caly, one of disappointment, betrayal, abandonment, loss of faith, a whimper. How could you desert me, how could leave me like this.

So I took it inside, cleaned and dried it with soft cloth, oiled it with my finest oil, used my Spyderco sharp maker to touch up the blade and rested it in nice warm place where I could keep watch over it.

I don’t think it was ready to go back in my pocket yet.

Somehow when carrying the tool bag at my side it had hooked the clip of the Caly and dragged it out of the pocket. It easily could have fallen to ground, it should have, but it didn’t. It hung on to the bag, how and for how long I don’t know, but I’m glad that it did.

Who else has gone through the horror of losing their favorite Spyderco, their friend, their companion in life?

:o Are you sure there isn’t a therapy or consoling section on this Forum?
How much can a Koala bear?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yes the Doctor is in! My twin PhDs in Psychology allows me to hold group therapy and private psychotherapy for Spyderholics.....in bereavement of lost friends. You sir need a private session. In this case it seems like your little friend refused to die....which is a good thing....it spared you the sorrow and pain of losing the best thing that ever happened to you. Always remember the CF stands for "caring friend"....and you must give that tool bag a good talking to for trying to steal your Caly. There are predators everywhere, you must be more careful....knife abuse is on the rise...just think what would have happened if the Caly fell into the wrong persons hands....Do you feel guilty now?.....Good....maybe next time you'll keep one eyed peeled for all types of knife snatchers.....For now take a deep breath, draw a sigh of relief....and tell me why you hate your father.....times up.....Oh that will be $275.00 and don't forget to take your meds...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Great story post!

I have had similar experiences with a seat belt and a couple of pens and kives (being snatched from a pocket). Sometimes I have noticed right away, but a couple of times, I've gone back to the car to see a pen hanging from the seat belt.

I have to say, too, that I chuckled at your "tricks" for missing items. I chuckled because they are so true! :D

I'm glad you recovered your knife, and wil get to use it again perhaps with even more appreciation.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Similar but not as bad. Went to Winn Dixie with my wife. I always carried my Michael Walker with me. Left Winn Dixie and stopped at a convenience store 100 yards away. Notice Michael wasn't with me. Made wife drive back to Winn Dixie and I went inside because I had reached in my pocket for something. I thought when I pulled it out the knife may have fallen out as well. Found no Michael on the floor. My wife didn't know why I was so worried (must have forgot to tell her what I paid for it :rolleyes :) . Anyway it was at home. Like I said not as bad but had the same feeling without as much aggrevation.

Jack
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Chris_H wrote:Great story post!

I have had similar experiences with a seat belt and a couple of pens and kives (being snatched from a pocket). Sometimes I have noticed right away, but a couple of times, I've gone back to the car to see a pen hanging from the seat belt.

Too funny. A little off the knife topic, but on the pen topic. I had received a really nice pen as a gift. Was travelling in Minnesota in Feb w/ sales rep. On way back to car after visit w/ doctor, I noticed my pen was gone. Made the rep go back into hosp, back into docs office, retrace all steps thru hospital including visit to cafeteria - no pen. Dug around the car in the snow in case I dropped it in the snow. No pen. After 30 min of search - gave up. Got in car, totally dejected and a little pissed off. Went to buckle my seat belt and my pen appears on my chest clipped to the seat belt. I was thrilled, happy, dumbfounded. Sales rep just shakes his head...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Pneumothorax wrote:Too funny. A little off the knife topic, but on the pen topic. I had received a really nice pen as a gift. Was travelling in Minnesota in Feb w/ sales rep. On way back to car after visit w/ doctor, I noticed my pen was gone. Made the rep go back into hosp, back into docs office, retrace all steps thru hospital including visit to cafeteria - no pen. Dug around the car in the snow in case I dropped it in the snow. No pen. After 30 min of search - gave up. Got in car, totally dejected and a little pissed off. Went to buckle my seat belt and my pen appears on my chest clipped to the seat belt. I was thrilled, happy, dumbfounded. Sales rep just shakes his head...
Doesn't matter what item. Lost is lost. I couldn't find my wife once. Found her later, ****! :)

Jack
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I have a blue 93mm Rescue that I modified to a "wharnie". I use this as my work knife. Last week I was coming home from work. I stopped at the mail box area of my apartment to check the mail. I reached for my Rescue to open something and it wasn't there. I immediately start to panic. I searched around and in my car thinking it could have fallen out when I got out of the car. Finally I give up very disappointed that I have just lost a discontinued knife. One that I have carried for several months at work and put a lot of time into making it mine. I reach into my pocket to get my keys and there is the knife. The clip had come off of the knife . I will have to get a new clip, but I am thankful that is all I have to do.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just remembered a lost and found. Not a knife though.
My wife and I went to the beach.
Got home, took shower, applied anti-sunburn cream.
Went to the store on the way to friend’s house to play cards.
Came home.
Realized wedding ring was gone. Thought I had lost it at the beach.
Went to work the next day.
Talked to my friend who I worked with and told him about my ring.
He happened to have stopped at the same store on the way to work. When he was walking in another guy bent over and said “hey, I found a ring.” He happened to be a member of the USAF Military Police.
I called the MP station and went and got my ring.

Strange things:
My friend entering the store the same time my ring was found.
The finder being honest.

If the friend hadn’t known a ring was found and I mentioned it to him neither of us would have thought about calling the MPs.

People are people but I’ll say it just the same. Every participant in this story was a member of the United States Air Force.

Jack
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have a habit of checking for a pocket clips when I get in and out of the car and other places. Did that a few weeks ago and my brand new UK orange Rescue is not where it's supposed to be. I felt alongside the seat as I was driving then onto the floor behind me, and there it was. Had the thing only a few hours at that point.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I once lost my original Baby Goddard--a knife I carried every day in my pocket at the office for many, many years...I tore everything apart at work and home looking for it, but finally had to make myself admit it was gone. I was lucky to be able to find another one online. About two weeks after getting the new one, I put on a pair of dress pants I hadn't worn in quite a while and felt something in my pocket. You know what it was...your Rule #2 in action...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Reject (and everyone)

Rule #4 is true as said by George Carlin. He said as a joke but true none the less: "Why do you look for your car keys in the refrigerator? Because they might be in there!"

That's as close as I can remember from no telling how many years ago.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm sure that my local dry cleaner has two of my spydies - but when I have asked them about them, they always play dumb. I have a bad habit of not completely emptying the pockets of my suit pants after work. When the pants go into the dry cleaning bag, the odds of recovery decline precipitously!

Over the past couple of years, I've lost my original Baby Goddard (green micarta) and an FRN DFly this way. Needless to say, I've started paying more attention to my pants pockets - as well as started to carry bigger knives to work! They seem to be harder to lose... :-)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I try not to think of it as losing a knife, so much as donating it to the universe... to date, I've "donated" two SS polices, a spyderfly, and a SS Delica. The universe hasn't yet seen fit to reciprocate...
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
marknett

Post by marknett »

Hey , Can I throw a lost wife joke in here :)
Man and his wife are taking a trip to the Holy lands . While there his wife has a heart attack and dies. :( The authorities tell him that to ship his wife home will be very expensive , probably around 10,000 dollars , but he could have her buried there very reasonable . The guy says no I'll pay to ship her home , I heard how a man arose from the dead over here and I just can't take that chance .... :D :D :D Sorry , couldn't resist
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
a.carlson

Post by a.carlson »

The Caly 3 is one sick knife. It was my first Spyderco and subsequent EDC, but she's too purdy for that. Now, she only comes out for special occasions. (I know I have a disease when I start referring to my knives in the feminine.)

Sunglasses, though, have always been my problem. That and FedEx packages.

I ordered my Millie on Amazon the other day, and checked tracking like a fiend until it was delivered. When I checked outside, by the front door where FedEx said they put it, it was gone. I checked the other doors. Nothing. I checked the front door of the other building on our property. Nothing. I checked all of the other building's doors, and again, found nothing. I checked with our tenants. FedEx had never come.

Panic set in, and I tried to call FedEx. No cell reception. This was becoming a Christmas nightmare!

Luckily, I remembered your four steps to finding lost things. Number 4 had always come through to me, so I began checking unusual places. I decided, in a last ditch effort, to check the neighbor's house. Our family has been feuding with them for generations, but I decided my Millie was worth the risk of an international incident. I had no choice but to venture past the property line, to the fortified compound that was my neighbor's yard. (Seriously! They have an electric fence and leg-breaking grate in their driveway to keep the deer out of their gardens.)

To my delight, they were gone for the winter, and lo and behold, a FedEx parcel was sitting on their doorstep, glistening in the sunlight. (Along with, I may add, another package whos's fate had been the source of much speculation.)

Two hours and many expletives later, I had it. Man, what a great knife. It was well worth the trouble.

Just goes to show, its always where you least expect it. (Also, my **** FedEx guy needs to learn to read.)

-Alex (Apologies for any thread-jacking.)
Reject

Post by Reject »

-Alex (Apologies for any thread-jacking.)

No apologies required mate. :D

You are dead on topic, I am glad you found your new friend. ;)
mkd

Post by mkd »

reject!! as you get older your short term memory will start to go.one way of dealing with it is to do what i do.i lay all my knives out so that i can see them in plain site.if i pack something away i will forget where it is.i have carried a knife for well over 35 yrs as a tool in the overhead electrical construction field.i have had several knives for edc and the first ones were shrade and buck folders.they always went in my right front pocket and i always had to remove my work gloves to get them out.i have carried a vex for about 4 yrs now and i prefer not to use a pocket clip for a couple of reasons.it snags on everything including bench restraunt booth seats,the steering wheel of my truck getting in and out,etc etc. i now prefer to carry my vex in my pocket with no clip but have installed a 6" paracord double cobra knot lanyard with a monkey fist on the end.it no longer snags on anything and can be pulled out of my pocket with ease even with leather work gloves on.i have lost several things through the years including my favorite hammer,assorted work knives,and the last thing was a 11/16 socket.later found on the end of my torque wench. i sometimes acuse my wife of putting my things away and usually end up apologizing when i find where i misplaced them. i also end up finding most of my stuff soon after i buy replacements for what i cant find. i'll bet we"re not alone when it comes to loosing things!!
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

It is unfortunate when you lose/misplace a knife... but one day I came out of work to the parking lot, and my car was gone. now this was '97 toyota tercel. All I could think was who the **** would want this tiny POS car??? As far as knives go, first losses then became my 6" cold steel Ti Lite that was in the glove box and the cold steel mini pal hanging from my rearview mirror. I called the police and when they eventually showed up i mentioned that I had just broken up with my girlfriend and then he assured me that she was the one who had taken it... (I was sure she wasn't but im pretty sure he just didn't want to file a police report) so I got a ride home and talked to her along the way (she was still at work) of course she had nothing to do with it. I stopped at a local police station and filled out my report, got home, and a little while later she called when she arrived home to find that her apartment that I had just moved out of had been robbed. Of course I had yet to move all my stuff out of the place and sitting right on top of the dresser was a wooden flip top box with a handle on the top which made it super easy for the thieves to steal my entire knife collection, sharpmaker and multitools. Of course they took all of the video game systems, both computers (and she was a graphic designer so she had a $5500 dollar mac setup) but nothing wrenched my heart out like the loss of the last 12 or 13 years worth of collecting knives. I ended up with a benchmade osborne 940 and a cold steel 4" ti lite of which the benchmade mysteriously disappeared from a friends house I ended up moving to a couple years later. I altogether stopped buying and mostly stopped carrying knives for about a 4 year time span because of the loss of all my beautiful knives. But i guess the mourning finally passed because this year (actually half because i didn't buy anything until at least july) i've probably picked up about 20 different spydies to start my collection again (i was rebitten rather hard by the spyderbug) and i wanted a lot of different models! needless to say it's a full on addiction again and I'm happy to be collecting again even though I still have depressed feeling when i think about what i lost (a lot of which can't be replaced without a ridiculous cost).

Anyway just wanted to vent to a group that I knew would feel and understand my pain at the time! :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

We feel your lose brother.
We share our pain.
You are safe among us here.
Take a Spyderco in each hand and meditate.
Feel the love, feel the quality that is Spyderco.

Ain’t they great! :D
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Reject wrote: ............
Take a Spyderco in each hand and meditate.

Ain’t they great! :D
But I've only got 1 Spyderco!
And I'm already addicted. Going to use some Christmas money to feed my need.

In line with the thread. I lost a Swiss Army (a small one, but it had regular and phillips screwdrivers) that had been with me many years. My EDC until post 9/11 regs, then EDC when not travelling by air. The problem was it was a gift from my folks. Very sentimental to me, since my dad passed away. I called some of the places I had been the next day, but no luck. Easily replaced, except for the emotional attachment. I know that feeling of back tracking, tearing things apart, ect. Still hasn't shown up.
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D