UPS/FedX Virus Alert

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

UPS/FedX Virus Alert

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

UPS/Fed-Ex Virus ALERT

With Christmas coming up, this could be a real problem. The newest virus
circulating is the UPS/Fed Ex Delivery Failure. You will receive an
e-mail from UPS/Fed Ex Service along with a packet number. It will say
that they were unable to deliver a package sent to you on such-and-such
a date. It then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached.

DON'T TRY TO OPEN & PRINT THIS. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS!

Pass this warning on to all your PC operators at work and home.
This virus has caused Millions of dollars in damage.

Snopes confirms that it is real:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp
Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Blimey - I have been getting those for years ... along with the usual ones trying to get me to log in to bank accounts I don't have ... and letters from Nigerians wanting to give me money :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Thanks for the heads up Doc.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Confirmed. Snopes.com: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp, though a fix is more available: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9207/fix ... r-machine/

Or use a mac!
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Yup I have received one as well, I was expecting an email with my newest delivery confirmation then this popped up, almost opened it too. I scanned the attachement with Nod32 and it said that it was an .exe file seemed pretty odd so didnt open it. Anywho any ideas on what it is.A trojan? Or somekind that gives you the blue screen of death? And thanks, for the heads up Doc.
thewannabesurvivalist
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The how to geek explains how it operates. The symptom is that your PC will continually reboot.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

2cha wrote:The how to geek explains how it operates. The symptom is that your PC will continually reboot.
Oh,had that one before took a few hours to rewrite the windows and thats that. The one I got: Dear client
The parcel was sent to your
home address. And it will arrive
within 3
business days.
More information and the
tracking number are attached in
document
below.
Thank you for your attention.
UPS Global Services. How the f*ck did those hackers know I was expecting a package that week? O_o
thewannabesurvivalist
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I happen to know these guys in Nigeria that can help you fix it if you get the virus. You just need to supply your bank account number, passwords, mailing address...and they'll take care of you! :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

jabba359 wrote:I happen to know these guys in Nigeria that can help you fix it if you get the virus. You just need to supply your bank account number, passwords, mailing address...and they'll take care of you! :rolleyes:
ooh ill bite. where should i send my cc info? thanx jabba! you saved me millions! :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Oh yeah....I received 10 zillion dollars from the Nigerian ambassador in unclaimed funds due to me...how do you think I can afford all these Spydies.... ;) Doc :rolleyes:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

HellHound wrote:Oh,had that one before took a few hours to rewrite the windows and thats that. The one I got: Dear client
The parcel was sent to your
home address. And it will arrive
within 3
business days.
More information and the
tracking number are attached in
document
below.
Thank you for your attention.
UPS Global Services. How the f*ck did those hackers know I was expecting a package that week? O_o
What week AREN'T you expecting a package? :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

vampyrewolf wrote:What week AREN'T you expecting a package? :p
It was due to deliver in two weeks and this was the second week! I requested a tracking number and stuff from the seller. Well if the customs dont get there mitts on it,that is,then they keep it for 2 freakin months :/
thewannabesurvivalist
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Personally, I have never come across anyone that has actually installed a "UPS-virus" (or any other similar email payload) but 2 of my friends (quite experienced but not technical Windows users) were conned into installing the Internet Security 2010 malware :( This nasty bit of software usually installs from dodgy websites and it will pop-up a window that looks *exactly* like a standard Windows window and tell you that you have a virus and you must install it's software. Once installed it then takes over the PC and stops you using it (claiming you are riddled with viruses that don't exist) and extorting money from you to "upgrade" to their professional version. :mad:

I really hate this package ... it is very hard to remove without a lot of Windows technical experience - took me about 10 minutes with a PC in front of me or 1 hour walking someone through it over the phone. You can Google for software that will remove it but it isn't easy for normal users to use and they are constantly being scared by popup windows from the malware. :mad:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc,
Thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

2cha wrote:Or use a mac!
Good idea! I'm there already though, but i still don't open those suspicious e-mails..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Guess we knife nuts are a prime target for this one, we always seem to having knives both incoming and outgoing.

Chris, from what I've been told, some variants of that FakeAV virus are very difficult to avoid once the "warning" pop-up has been launched. The pop-up "window" itself has been rigged so that no matter which button you press, including the "close window" X in the upper right corner installs the malware.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The Deacon wrote:Chris, from what I've been told, some variants of that FakeAV virus are very difficult to avoid once the "warning" pop-up has been launched. The pop-up "window" itself has been rigged so that no matter which button you press, including the "close window" X in the upper right corner installs the malware.
Yes, it's a nasty little blighter ... if you have a decent anti-malware or you have something like Windows Vista or Windows7 then you'll probably get another chance to decline when Windows pops up a real message asking you whether you really want to do it. But a lot of people have just got used to clicking on the OK or Yes buttons without thinking about it - or they aren't technical enough to be able to understand exactly what they are being asked - so they let it install anyway. :rolleyes:

Ironically, all versions of Windows have all of the tools that you need to remove these viruses/malwares, but they are hard to find and take a lot of knowledge and confidence to use. I hate to think how many people hand over their credit card details and their money to companies like this in desperation - just in the hope that it will make it go away. :(
kbuzbee

A different scam.....

Post by kbuzbee »

So I don't usually sell stuff but we listed something (DSLR) on craigslist last month. Got several "offers" to pay via paypal (more than we were asking) and offered to include anywhere from $75 to $300 extra to cover shipping to Nigeria, usually to a "friend, son or daughter".

No paypal money ever arrived, of course, but I couldn't figure out what they were actually trying to pull off. Any ideas?

Ken
玉鋼
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

kbuzbee wrote:No paypal money ever arrived, of course, but I couldn't figure out what they were actually trying to pull off. Any ideas?
Just a standard scam ... you should never send any goods until money has cleared and reached your bank account. They will try to get you to send and then they will cancel the money. :mad:

My boss sold some old phones and he wouldn't even talk to anyone suspicious - lots of Africans try to tell you to send to a friend in your country too - but this will be a scam too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Did they want you to send some of that money to Nigeria along with the camera, or to send both the camera and money to a third party, to be reshipped to Nigeria? If so, all they'd have to do then is claim non-receipt, assuming the PayPal they used wasn't a hijacked account. If not, a hijacked PayPal account would be the most likely source of funds. Or, it may have just been testing the waters, to see if you were the least bit receptive to their offer. Greedy people are some of the easiest marks for con men.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!