My favorite cheapo EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

My favorite cheapo EDC

Post by Evil D »

The Gerber EAB (exchange a blade). I'm willing to bet i'm not the only one who owns one of these little gems. I carried it for the longest time at my job and loved it, and i still carry it now and then just for cutting chores where i wouldn't wanna dull or risk damaging my Spydie.

http://www.botachtactical.com/geeabpokn.html

Walmart sells them for about $10. The only thing i found annoying about it is, it's a little tricky to one hand open for larger hands but it's doable, and the edges were fairly sharp and i was always scratching my hand up when going into my pocket, so i took the Dremel and rounded off all the sharp edges.

I wish Spyderco would come up with some kind of small Warnie like this that was this thin and compact when closed. The Spydercard is close but still a bit large compared to this. (HINT HINT SAL HINT HINT ;) )
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmmm....forgive my lacking photoshop skills...but you get the idea...is anyone at Golden watching? :D

It's like a mini Yojimbo pocket utility knife. Make it all stainless construction, thin as possible and minimalistic as possible with a decent middle ground steel like VG10 so it holds an edge reasonably well and is easy to sharpen and maintain.

~David
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

My favorite cheapo EDC is my little Gerber utility knife. I don't know the model name. It's the one that you can refill with an endless supply of cheap utility razors (the trapezoidal ones). Gerber's model looks like a gentleman's folder, rather than those big chunky ones that workmen use.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Evil D wrote:Hmmm....forgive my lacking photoshop skills...but you get the idea...is anyone at Golden watching? :D

It's like a mini Yojimbo pocket utility knife. Make it all stainless construction, thin as possible and minimalistic as possible with a decent middle ground steel like VG10 so it holds an edge reasonably well and is easy to sharpen and maintain.

Mini Yoji sounds good to me!!!
I don't buy knives from mainland asia, so my fav. cheapo EDC are the Kershaw onion designs, followed/replaced recently by the FRN UKPKs.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Evil D wrote:The Gerber EAB (exchange a blade). I'm willing to bet i'm not the only one who owns one of these little gems. I carried it for the longest time at my job and loved it, and i still carry it now and then just for cutting chores where i wouldn't wanna dull or risk damaging my Spydie.
I've had a couple for a few years, actually have one on the shelf beside me right now and a 10 pack of blades. Not sure where the 2nd is right now.

Carried in the right rear pocket it's a quick wrist flick to drop open, and even thumbing it open isn't hard.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

I could have sworn I read that Sal said they were thinking of making a utility cutter. I can't find the thread though.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Call me a brand snob but i'd buy one even if it used disposable carpet blades lol. Gerber make another one similar called the Ridge knife which i also used to carry but i can't stand chisel grinds so it ended up getting gifted to a friend.

I would love to see something like this from Spyderco, with a saber grind VG10 blade...
~David
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

I carry an EAB at work and love it! It's my fave utility knife
Evil D wrote:The only thing i found annoying about it is, it's a little tricky to one hand open for larger hands but it's doable...
I added some grip tape to the blade holder to assist with one-handed opening, and it works well.
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If i ever get around to it i'm gonna file some cross hatching in it to give some thumb traction. I just don't carry it as much anymore. My first Spydie was a SE Native, and i loved it but i'm not good at sharpening serrations, so i ended up carrying this for a long time but now that i have PE Spydies i carry those.
~David
onecentweasel

Post by onecentweasel »

I think the Spyderco Spin is the closest you can get to the EAB...