Come chat with us on IRC at #SharpThings!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Whieee's birthday? Happy Birthday Whieee, many more spydies to come. :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

BUMP!...TazKristy- bout time it got stickied isnt it :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bump
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bump, back to first page
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

BUMP!
Thread updated with new information regarding network move.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Woohoo! The new network is now fully opperational! Can't wait to see more of you in there!
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

We've even decided to add another chanop (Channel Operator) in the US timezone: Cosmo7809! Congrats to Cosmo7809 for getting his +o! That he may be a quick learner and an even better chanop for #Spyderco :)

Other chanops on #Spyderco:
-Creepo
-ClusterFlux
-Whieee (also channel owner)

Aside from that, someone recently asked me about the 'rules' on #Spyderco. I don't think it's necessary to spell all kinds of rules out. I'm not going to tell you what you can or cannot do; as long as everyone treats each other with respect, we'll all be fine ;)

(and everyone who disobeys the above will get banned for life :D )
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Whieee wrote:We've even decided to add another chanop (Channel Operator) in the US timezone: Cosmo7809! Congrats to Cosmo7809 for getting his +o! That he may be a quick learner and an even better chanop for #Spyderco :)

Other chanops on #Spyderco:
-Creepo
-ClusterFlux
-Whieee (also channel owner)

Aside from that, someone recently asked me about the 'rules' on #Spyderco. I don't think it's necessary to spell all kinds of rules out. I'm not going to tell you what you can or cannot do; as long as everyone treats each other with respect, we'll all be fine ;)

(and everyone who disobeys the above will get banned for life :D )
I plan on dropping in more often as time permits...to show my support for this wonderful idea, and the great guys that seem too flock to the site to talk, at least that has been my limited experience....if only I could remember how to get my screen-name back...then again I might just have more fun with the name midfobtibit or whatever name it gives me when I log on....LOL....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I plan on dropping in more often as time permits...to show my support for this wonderful idea, and the great guys that seem too flock to the site to talk, at least that has been my limited experience....if only I could remember how to get my screen-name back...then again I might just have more fun with the name midfobtibit or whatever name it gives me when I log on....LOL....Doc :D
Hey doc, we look forward to your visits.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Questions...
#1) When is the best of times to find chatters chatting?
#2) When I press the Red headed Little man next to my nickname why does an American flag appear and why when I click on someone else I have another kind of flag next to my name, and why when I click on others nickname it all goes back to the little people icons next to their names without any flags?...Just fumbling my way around and pressing buttons there to figure things out...Just wondering....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Whieee

Post by Whieee »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Questions...
#1) When is the best of times to find chatters chatting?
#2) When I press the Red headed Little man next to my nickname why does an American flag appear and why when I click on someone else I have another kind of flag next to my name, and why when I click on others nickname it all goes back to the little people icons next to their names without any flags?...Just fumbling my way around and pressing buttons there to figure things out...Just wondering....Doc :D
I presume you're using the Mibbit webchat? Unfortunately I have no experience with that, but others here do, so they might have the (correct) answer about the flags. Meanwhile, I think it has something to do with trying to get a rough estimate of someone's location based on their hostname. While you may only see screennames (nicknames) in the webchat client, there's more to it. I'll try to explain in layman's terms:

In order for the IRC server to make out who's who and what bits of (private) chat to send where, it needs to uniquely identify you as... you. You'd think your nickname is unique, and it actually is, but it doesn't tell the server anything about where (network-wise) you are. So your _real_ unique identifier, also called a hostmask, is a little more complex. It actually is {yournickname}!{user}@{host}. For instance:

Whieee!myrealname@somehost.my-isp.nl

I assume the {yournickname} and {host} part kind of make sense, as they tell how you're called on this IRC network, and where on the internet you are. But the {user} part may seem unnecessary. It is not ;) Since your {host} will (in most cases) be the external internet address of your home router, and there can be more PC's connected to that router, there could be more than one person on the IRC server with the same {host} part.

Yeah... so?
Well, what if your evil twin (Docs-evil-twin!eviltwin@docshost.docsisp.net) messes with the operators and should be banned? The {user} part tells me it is another user (most likely another PC in your house) and I can place my 'ban-mask' to only include that specific PC.

If I would ban docshost.docsisp.net, you would both get banned.
If I would ban *!eviltwin@docshost.docsisp.net, your evil twin would get banned, and you would only (probably) notice him swearing at his computer :D

On to the flag-thing. Most host-names, have an easily discernable top level domain. The TLD is the last part of the hostname, and in some cases specifies a country. For instance, myhost.telfort.nl tells you that I am connected through the Telfort (ISP) network, in .nl which is The Netherlands. Someone else might be connected through somehost.someisp.fi, which is obviously Finland. And so on..

As for the best time to come and chat: ANY TIME! There's not a real 'time frame' where everyone is on, as we have people from all parts of the world. Sometimes it's busy, sometimes it's awfully quiet. I just saw you leave when I came on this morning :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

When I click my red headed icon, I see a Philippine flag and a US flag on cluster's icon. No other flags on any other names. Hhhhm, the one on my name must just be my location.

Best time is evenings your time doc.
Polar L

Post by Polar L »

Nice chatting with you guys :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bump
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bump
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks for the 411 and explanation Whieee.....Now If I could only find my evil twin......I hate to think what might happen.....Doc: ;)

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Now If I could only find my evil twin......I hate to think what might happen.....Doc: ;)
I bet it'd be the showdown of the millenium. :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Bump
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

To the top. :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

first page