Chat room

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Thanks cJoe for the chat room!!!! Another awesome way to spend my time in the internet!!!
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Creepo wrote:For all the people popping on the channel:
Unless you just wanted to try how it works, IRC doesn't take a whole lot of system resources so you can just leave it on, even if you don't read and write on there all the time. Just check every now and then in case someone else is there or is chatting.
This is how IRC basically works, people just stay logged in and may respond later. :)
The more people we have, the more people will join.
Well said! I'm idling every moment I can and talk when there are people. Hope to see more on!
ClusterFlux wrote:Thanks cJoe for the chat room!!!! Another awesome way to spend my time in the internet!!!
Glad you like it :)
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Yeah, I was gonna say... It's probably going to be hard to keep people online. A chatroom integrated with the Spydie forums would definitely be a hit though.

Does anyone else think a chatroom might steal away from the forums though?
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,
Lostification wrote:Does anyone else think a chatroom might steal away from the forums though?
In a word, no.

IMO the Chat Room is not a replacement for the more extensive content of threads, but is instead more of a place to socialize together as friends, throw ideas around in real-time, and swap stories. I was on for a time yesterday and it was very laid-back and casual; I'll probably check in later today as well.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hey cjoe, nice work on the chatroom.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

We have been getting a couple questions so I though I'd start collecting a bit of a FAQ here:

IRC specific

What name should I use?

It's be easiest if you used the same name you use on the forums. This helps identify members. The second best thing is to choose a name very similar to your forums name, for example use only a part of it for example mr. Hannibal Lecter is simply "Hannibal".

Is there anyway to keep the name I picked permanent?

No, with IRC you choose a name you use and with some programs you have to type the name every time you join the channel. If for some reason another person has the same name, we'll just have to act like civilised people and solve the matter.

How do you do that?

Here are some basic useful commands that work on most IRC clients:

/help
Display a help screen listing available commands

/clear
Clear the chat output in this channel

/ignore nick
Ignore the user in this channel

/unignore nick
Unignore the user in this channel

/who
Displays a list of online users

/whois nick
Displays information of the selected user

/query nick [msg]
Open a PM to a user, with an optional message. (Chat privately, no need for emails or other messaging.)

/me [action]
For example /me likes knives -> *Nick likes knives

/away [msg]
Lists you as being away, with an optional message

/quit [msg]
Disconnects from the server, with an optional message to users

Mibbit specific

Is there a list of face icons and how to get them to appear?

Yes, under the box where you write your message, there is button that reads "Smilies". By clicking on a specific smilie you add it to your message. Mibbit also translates written smilies to icons, like on the forums. For example :O , :P have corresponding icons.

I'll update this as questions pop-up and when I have time.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Creepo wrote:We have been getting a couple questions so I though I'd start collecting a bit of a FAQ here:

What name should I use?

It's be easiest if you used the same name you use on the forums. This helps identify members. The second best thing is to choose a name very similar to your forums name, for example use only a part of it for example mr. Hannibal Lecter is simply "Hannibal".

Is there anyway to keep the name I picked permanent?

No, with IRC you choose a name you use and with some programs you have to type the name every time you join the channel. If for some reason another person has the same name, we'll just have to act like civilised people and solve the matter.

I'll update this as questions pop-up and when I have time.
Is there a list of face icons and how to get them to appear?

Jack
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

jackknifeh wrote:Is there a list of face icons and how to get them to appear?

Jack
Updated.
Anyone, feel free to post questions.